Hammonton High School
|Hammonton High School|
|566 Old Forks Road
Hammonton, NJ 08037
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hammonton Public Schools|
|Asst. principals||Greg Brandis
Dr. Kimberly Rudnesky
|Enrollment||1,384 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.7:1|
Royal Blue and|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
|Team name||Blue Devils|
Hammonton High School is a comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Hammonton, in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Hammonton Public Schools.
Students from Folsom Borough and Waterford Township attend Hammonton High School as part of sending/receiving relationships with the Folsom Borough School District and the Waterford Township School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,384 students and 100.7 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.7:1. There were 348 students (25.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 99 (7.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
Hammonton High School's Boys' Swimming and Diving team was recognized with the Boys Gold Award by the 2005-06 NISCA/Kiefer Scholar Team Award.
The school was the 229th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 288th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 233rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 239th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 233rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 175th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 44 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (81.2%) and language arts literacy (92.4%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Hammonton High School Blue Devils compete in the Atlantic Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County, and Gloucester County, that operates under the aegis of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,063 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2016-17 school year as South Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 794 to 1,076 students in that grade range.
The football team won the NJSIAA South Jersey Group II state sectional championship in 1985, 1993, 1994 and 1996, and won the South Jersey Group III sectional in 2009. The football team won the 2009 South Jersey Group III sectional championship with a 23-17 win over Timber Creek High School, the first Group III title brought home by the program.
The girls' field hockey team won the South Jersey Group II state sectional title in 1996.
The wrestling team won the South Jersey Group III state sectional championship in 2009.
The school's marching band was Chapter One Champions in 1973-1979 (Group 3), 1980-1981 (Group 4), 1983 (Group 3), 1989-1990 (Group 2) and 1998 (Group 1). The marching band was Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 3 every year from 1974-1979 and again in 1983. It was the All-State Champion in 2002 and 2005, and the State Champion in 2004 in USSBA competition.The band also won state championships in 2008 USSBA competition as well as in 2016.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Thomas Ramsay, Principal
- Greg Brandis, Assistant Principal
- Dr. Kimberly Rudnesky, Assistant Principal
- School data for Hammonton High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Hammonton High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Hammonton Public Schools 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 5, 2016. "The Hammonton Public School System serves children from Hammonton, Waterford, and Folsom – as well as over 140 NJ Department of Education Choice students."
- Schools, Towns of Hammonton. Accessed June 6, 2016. "Residents from Waterford attend grades 7 through 12. Residents of Folsom and Collings Lakes attend the Hammonton High School in grades 9 through 12 at a brand-new high school on a 118-acre campus."
- Puko, Timothy. "Sending Towns Feeling Pinched by Hammonton", The Press of Atlantic City, March 13, 2007. Accessed June 29, 2011. "The two school districts that send students to Hammonton are disputing tuition adjustments that would allow Hammonton School District to avoid a tax hike this year but cause large tax hikes in the sending districts. The school budgets for Hammonton and its sending districts Waterford and Folsom could hang in limbo well past next month's school board elections, and Waterford and Folsom could be left with budget fights and massive cuts, sending district superintendents said."
- 2005-2006 NISCA/Kiefer Scholar Team Award, accessed March 2, 2007.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- McGarry, Michael. "Hammonton beats Timber Creek 23-17 for South Jersey Group III football title", The Press of Atlantic City, December 5, 2009. Accessed September 4, 2011. "The Hammonton High School football team needed 2 yards on fourth down in the fourth quarter to help clinch its first South Jersey championship in 13 years Friday night.... Top-seeded Hammonton, No. 2 in The Press' Elite 11, staved off a Timber Creek comeback to win the South Jersey Group III championship 23-17."
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- 2007 Softball - South, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 11, 2007.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed July 5, 2007.
- Building Administration, Hammonton Public Schools. Accessed December 9, 2015.
- Hammonton High School
- Hammonton Public Schools
- Hammonton Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Hammonton Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Hammonton Blue Devils