This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Availability||National, through radio stations and translators|
|Owner||Educational Media Foundation|
Air1 is a Christian radio network in the United States, playing Contemporary Christian music. It is operated by the non-profit Educational Media Foundation which also runs K-LOVE, another nationwide Christian radio network. While Air1 leans more toward contemporary hit radio (CHR), K-Love leans more toward hot adult contemporary (Hot AC). Air1 is heard on dozens of its owned and operated stations across 42 states. Some cities which have Air 1 stations include Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Seattle-Tacoma, San Diego, Portland, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Kansas City, Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and some suburbs of Los Angeles.
In 1986, KLRD began broadcasting Christian music from Yucaipa, California, and went by the on-air moniker K-LORD. In 1994, KXRD was started as a sister station to KLRD. In 1995, K-LORD changed its name to "Air 1" and began broadcasting via satellite from St. Helens, Oregon. In 1999, Air 1 joined with EMF Broadcasting (the former name of KLA1 Foundation), and finally in 2002, it moved its headquarters to Rocklin, California. Air 1 makes use of broadcast translators to spread the signal across much of the country. As of November 2011, the network lists 90 full powered radio stations and 125 translators of various power levels reaching 40 states.
Air1 and its sister network, K-LOVE, are also available as Internet streams through the iHeartRadio website and mobile/console apps.
The current on-air staff of Air1 includes Eric Calhoun and Heather Shelly who host the morning show, Mandy Young in middays, Lauren Lee and Mike Wilson in afternoons and Joshua Ashton at night.
The network's program director is Randy Chase with Cari Kates as the Assistant Program Director.
- Sean Copeland was formerly part of the Sean and Mandy show, which was discontinued on September 29, 2011. Copeland moved to the morning show on Indianapolis adult contemporary station WYXB.
- Coppelia Acevedo formerly occupied the midday time slot, and moved to Houston station KSBJ.
- Brant Hansen filled the afternoon time slot from 2011 to 2014, and resigned to take a job with Cure International and start the Brant Hansen Show, a podcast that is syndicated on many Christian radio stations.
- Eric Allen co-hosted the "Eric and Mandy Show" in the mornings until February 2015; his co-host Mandy stated he was moving on to "bigger & better things". As of 2015, Eric is working for Cure International as their Radio Marketing Manager.
- Brenda Price hosted a mid-day timeslot until May 5, 2015, when Air1 stated Brenda was no longer a part of Air1's DJ lineup. No reason was given for her sudden departure.
- Rahny Taylor worked as a program director and on-air host at Air1 and K-LOVE from November 2013 to August 2016. He departed to host a morning show on WRNW in Milwaukee.
Air1 sends out periodic surveys to listeners to rate songs that play on Air1 on a scale of 1 to 5, and express whether they should be played more often, less often, or at the same frequency.
"Takeover", formerly known as "Mixology", is an interactive media space that airs from 8:00pm to 10:00 pm Eastern Time in which listeners vote for the next song to be played on the station and recommend new songs to be added to the potential playlist.
Air 1 yearly produces a top countdown from all of the top songs from that year. Past top songs have been:
- "Dead Come To Life" by Jonathan Thulin in 2014
- "Dear X (You Don't Own Me)" by Disciple in 2010
- "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath in 2008
- "East To West" by Casting Crowns in 2007
- "My Savior My God" by Aaron Shust in 2006
- "Take Me" by Hawk Nelson in 2005
- "Blessed Be Your Name" by Tree63 in 2004
- "Run" by Kutless in 2003.
These songs stay in rotation for occasional airplay on Air 1.
Air1 airs a 30-minute broadcast news magazine called "Closer Look" every Sunday evening. The program covers a range of topics, including news and current affairs, human interest stories, and issues facing churches and society at large. the morning with Alex gregory and Julia Zaher and Rafeal Shirra and Susan King and Bob Dittman.
- List of Air1 Stations
- NEWS: AIR1 Announces Eric & Heather as the New Co-Hosts for the AIR1 Morning Show Beginning April 14
- Mike & Lauren
- "Blogs: Sean Copeland".
- "The Morning Show with Bill and Coppelia".
- "Stations". BrantHansen.com.
- Rahny Taylor New K-LOVE Assistant PD
- Rahny Taylor Returns To Mornings In Milwaukee
- Rahny Taylor returning to Milwaukee radio
- Air 1 Music Lab