|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
In March 2018, the government announced to the citizens that they had to vote online in order to have a new flag and coat of arms. Foreigners saw this and found out that Kanep in Estonian means Cannabis in English and made a flag and coat of arms with the cannabis leaf in it, when it was time to vote, the flag won the contest with an overwhelming majority of 12,000 votes larger than the population of 5,000.
In May 2018, the city council, baffled by the ordeal, chose to vote for themselves if they wanted to officially adopt the proposed flag, with a slim majority of 9-8 voting to adopt the flag. On May 15, 2018, the municipality announced that the cannabis leaf flag will be the official flag of Kanepi, Andrus Seeme (Mayor) said, and on July 13, 2018 the flag was raised outside the Kanepi municipal building.
War of Independence memorial in Kanepi
- "NGA GeoName Database". National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Archived from the original on 8 June 2008. Retrieved 9 July 2008.
- "Kanepi füsioloogia". Perfect Plant (in Estonian). Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- "Estonian district votes to get cannabis leaf flag". BBC News from Elsewhere. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Kanepi Municipality residents choose cannabis leaf for flag, coat of arms". Eesti Rahvusringhääling (ERR) (Estonian Public Broadcasting). March 3, 2018.
- "Estonia's Kanepi town adopts cannabis leaf flag after online poll". BBC. May 18, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "Estonian municipality of Kanepi puts cannabis leaf on flag". Canoe.com. Quebecor Media. May 17, 2018. Archived from the original (html) on May 17, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
Andrus Seeme, mayor for Kanepi's 2,500 souls, says a referendum was held in late 2017 and 80 per cent picked the winning design — a silver cannabis leaf on a green shield — out of seven designs.
|This Estonia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|