|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
In March 2018 the government announced to the citizens that they had to vote online in order to have a new flag and coat of arms. People saw this and found out that Kanep in english means cannabis in Estonian and made a flag and coat of arms with the cannabis leaf in it, when it was time to vote, the flag wins the contest with an overwhelming majority of 12,000 votes larger than the population of 5,000.
In May 2018 the government baffled by the ordeal, chose to vote for themselves if they want the it as their flag with a close 9 out of 8 seats choosing this as their own, On May 15, 2018 the municipality announces that the cannabis leaf flag will be the official flag of Kanepi, Andru Seeme (Mayor) said.
War of Independence memorial in Kanepi
- "NGA GeoName Database". National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Archived from the original on 8 June 2008. Retrieved 9 July 2008.
- "Kanepi füsioloogia". Perfect Plant (in Estonian). Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- "Estonian district votes to get cannabis leaf flag". National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Estonia's Kanepi town adopts cannabis leaf flag after online poll". BBC. May 18, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "Estonian municipality of Kanepi puts cannabis leaf on flag". Canoe dot com. May 17, 2018. Archived from the original (html) on May 17, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
Andrus Seeme, mayor for Kanepi’s 2,500 souls, says a referendum was held in late 2017 and 80 per cent picked the winning design — a silver cannabis leaf on a green shield — out of seven designs.
|This Estonia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|