Kevin Harvey (venture capitalist)
|Alma mater||Rice University|
|Employer||General Partner at Benchmark|
Education and early career
Harvey graduated in 1987 with a B.S.E.E. degree in engineering from Rice University. While in college, he founded software company StyleWare, which Apple later purchased and continued to develop as ClarisWorks.
Harvey founded and was president of Approach Software, where he led the development of the world’s first end-user client/server database for Microsoft Windows. Lotus Development acquired Approach Software in 1993.
At Benchmark, Harvey has invested in a number of companies that have gone to complete successful IPOs, including Red Hat and Proofpoint. He also led the firm’s investments in such companies as BOKU, Broadbase Software, Bytemobile (now part of Citrix Systems), CollabNet, CloudPassage, Eucalyptus Systems, Highlight, Ingenio (acquired by AT&T), Kana (KANA), Metaweb (acquired by Google), MySQL (acquired by Sun Microsystems), oDesk, oFoto (acquired by Kodak), RemarQ Communities (acquired by Critical Path, Inc.), Rightscale, Tellme Networks (acquired by Microsoft), Terracotta, When.com (acquired by America Online), Zimbra (acquired by Yahoo!), and Minerva University.
Harvey serves on the boards of Upwork, Ingenio, Metaweb Technologies, BOKU, and Pipewise.
- "Kevin Harvey". Bio. Spoke. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "#27 Kevin Harvey". The Midas List Tech's Top Investors. Forbes. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "#59 Benchmark Capital". The Midas List Tech's Top Investors. Forbes. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Kevin Harvey". CrunchBase. TechCrunch. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Kevin Harvey". People. Reuters. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "COMPANY NEWS; Apple Unit Buys Software Concern". The New York Times. 28 June 1988. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Rifkin, Glenn (9 June 1993). "BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY; Lotus Buys Approach Software for Its Data Base Program". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Asay, Matt (15 February 2008). "Benchmark adds open-source savvy Entrepreneurs in Residence". CNET. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Savitz, Eric (20 April 2012). "IPO Window Opens Wider: Nice Debuts For Proofpoint, Infoblox". Forbes. Retrieved 23 August 2012.