||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kolad is a village, in Raigad district, Maharashtra State, India. It is 117 km from Mumbai on the National Highway no 17 (Mumbai-Goa). It lies on the banks of River Kundalika. The village post office Postal Index Number (PIN code) is 402304 & 402109.
Kolad has a varied climate; spring (March to May) is hot and sultry, while the monsoon season (June to September) is accompanied by heavy rainfalls. Winters are during November and February and are characterized by medium level of humidity and cool weather. The best time to visit here is from June to March.
Dam of Kundlika river is situated in dagadwadi village to roha.
Kolad is located on NH 17, popularly known as the Mumbai - Goa highway. Kolad can also be accessed from the Mumbai Pune Expressway, via the Khopoli exit.and State highway 60. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) operates regular bus services between Roha and Kolad. Auto rickshaws also ply from Roha to Kolad.
Kolad Railway Station
Kolad railway station is the first station on the Konkan Railway line. Several express and mail trains that halt at this station connect Kolad to Mumbai. Train journeys from Mumbai take approximately three hours. Kolad is the starting point for the Roll On Roll Off (RORO) service of the Konkan Railway, a unique road-rail synergy system, where loaded trucks are directly carried by railway wagons and delivered to their destination by rail. This service was introduced in January 1999.
Most of the infrastructure in Kolad are maintained by Gram Panchayat, which include paving the roads, provision of water supply and other essential services like garbage disposal and beautification. Electricity is provided by state run Maharashtra State Electricity Board (MSEB). Telecom services are handled by the state run BSNL telecom and other private players. Broadband is provided by BSNL. BSNL & TATA are the only service providers with complete network.
River rafting at Kolad
White water river rafting is a famous adventure water sport for people residing in Mumbai and Pune. The Kundalika River in Kolad is the best option for white water rafting in Maharastra. The huge amount of water released from a local dam each morning creates good opportunities for rafting. The Maharastra government promotes Kundalika river rafting through its official tourism website River rafting at Kundalika starts at around 8 a.m. each day just after the water is released from the dam.
Places to visit
- Resorts: in wilderness near / around the river and dams.
- Kundalika river: river rafting and camping throughout the year.
- Waterfalls: on state highway 60 towards pune in the rains.
- Adventure sports: Rafting, Rappelling, Jungle camping, kayaking, Para sail, Aeromodelling & all kind of outdoor activities.
- Devi Kedar Janani Hill
- Kolad Dam
- Bhira Dam (Tata Powerhouse Dam)
- Dholwal - Pui Dam
- Sutarwadi Lake
- Tala Fort
- Kanal Avenue
- Tamhini Falls
- Ghosala Fort
- Kuda Caves
- District: Raigad
- Taluka: Roha.
- Famous for: River Rafting
- Languages: Marathi, Hindi, English.
- Best Season: Feb–Aug
- Weather: Summer 28–40 °C, Rainy 25–30 °C, Winter 12–33 °C
- Altitude: 60 m
- Pincode: 402304
- STD code: 02194
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "ROAD-RAIL SYNERGY SYSTEM". Press release, Press Information Bureau, dated 2004-20-05. Retrieved 2008-12-22.