Town and municipality
Location of Kurikka in Finland
|• Town manager||Anna-Kaisa Pusa|
|• Total||1,743.86 km2 (673.31 sq mi)|
|• Land||905.66 km2 (349.68 sq mi)|
|• Water||7.79 km2 (3.01 sq mi)|
|Area rank||36th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||50th largest in Finland|
|• Density||23.24/km2 (60.2/sq mi)|
|• Demonym||Kurikkalainen (Finnish), |
From Kurikka (English), Kurikkalaanen (Local dialect)
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.8%|
|• 15 to 64||64.1%|
|• 65 or older||20.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||18%|
Kurikka is a town and municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern Ostrobothnia region. The population of Kurikka is 21,050 (31 August 2018) and the municipality covers an area of 905.66 km2 (349.68 sq mi) of which 7.79 km2 (3.01 sq mi) is inland water (1 January 2018). The population density is 23.24/km2 (60.2/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Kurikka is recognized not only as a dynamic town of trade and business activities but also as an important hub of agriculture. Tens of small to medium-sized furniture manufacturers create design furniture to the Northern European market. Kurikka is at the same time comfortably small and big enough, with excellent services nearby, and a very nice nature surrounding the whole town.
Residents of Kurikka can live in a modern fashion in the town centre or in a peaceful countryside setting. The spirit of the town includes a lot of entrepreneurship and activity, features typical of South Ostrobothnia – and also more and more international elements. Kurikka has a very advanced public school system including elementary, high school and secondary grade education, and high-quality healthcare system provided by the municipality.
The town of Kurikka is financially very stable. Kurikka is one of the biggest shareholders in the Finnish energy giant Fortum as well as in Neste Oil, one of Northern Europe's biggest oil companies. The political scene of the town is dominated by the Finnish Centre because of the agricultural roots and past of the town.
- Juha Mieto (born 1949), former cross country skier
- Jorma Ollila (born 1950), Nokia and Royal Dutch Shell chairman of the board
Twin towns — Sister cities
Kurikka is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku kuukausittain sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2018" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.