LaBarque Creek Conservation Area
|LaBarque Creek Conservation Area|
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
|Location||Jefferson County, Missouri, United States|
|Nearest city||Pacific, MO|
|Area||1,274 acres (5.2 km2)|
|Governing body||Missouri Department of Conservation|
LaBarque Creek Conservation Area (LCCA) consists of 1,274 acres (5.16 km2) in northwestern Jefferson County, Missouri. It is south of Pacific and southwest of Eureka. The LCCA is part of the Henry Shaw Ozark Corridor. The Young Conservation Area is about 2 miles (3.2 km) to the east, Myron and Sonya Glassberg Family Conservation Area is 1.2 mi (1.9 km) to the northeast, Pacific Palisades Conservation Area is 3.3 miles (5.3 km) to the north, Catawissa Conservation Area is 3.5 miles (5.6 km) northwest, and Robertsville State Park is 4.7 miles (7.6 km) west.
In 2005 the Missouri Department of Conservation purchased 545 acres (221 ha) from The Nature Conservancy and a private landowner. Other acquisitions brought the total acreage to 639 acres (259 ha), and it opened to public use on November 15, 2007. In December 2010, these 639 acres (259 ha) became a part of the Missouri Natural Areas System as LaBarque Creek Natural Area. Three adjacent parcels of land totaling a combined 635 acres (257 ha) were added to LCCA, bringing its total area to 1,274 acres (516 ha) and connected it to land that will become Don Robinson State Park to the south, forming a 2,117-acre (857 ha) block of public protected land. None of the more recently acquired land is part of the designated natural area.
The LCCA has a 3 mi (4.8 km) loop trail on its eastern side open to hiking only. The LCCA is open to archery deer hunting only.
The LaBarque watershed has a great variety of terrestrial natural communities, including small sandstone glades, forested fens and many kinds of woodland. There are at least 42 fish species in LaBarque Creek.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LaBarque Creek Conservation Area.|
- "Henry Shaw Ozark Corridor". Native Tree Society. Archived from the original on February 22, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "LaBarque Creek Conservation Area". The LaBarque Creek Watershed. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "LaBarque Creek Natural Area". Sierra Club. Archived from the original on June 30, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "Major Land Uses" (PDF). The LaBarque Creek Watershed. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 30, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "LaBarque Creek Conservation Area (map)" (PDF). Missouri Department of Conservation. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 30, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "LaBarque Creek Conservation Area". Missouri Department of Conservation. Archived from the original on February 23, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2012.