|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
Initially, Lakewood was referred to as 'Atlanta' and coded as '8' on vehicle VIN plates, changing to 'A' when GM reshuffled their codes for 1953. For 1972, code 'A' Atlanta was now referred to as the Lakewood plant. Atlanta had a second GM assembly plant called Doraville Assembly, in the northern neighborhood of Doraville, Georgia.
Lakewood assembled Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Buicks at various points in their history, and also began assembling Chevrolet and GMC trucks from 1929 through at least 1986. The 1990 model year Chevrolet Caprice B-Body model line was the last vehicle produced at Lakewood, the plant closing its doors on August 6. At the time of its demolition some years later, Lakewood was a 2,600,000-square-foot (240,000 m2) facility.
Chevrolet Assembly (pre-General Motors Assembly Division circa 1965)
Plants operated under Chevrolet Assembly management prior to General Motors Assembly Division management (most established pre-1945). Additional Chevrolet Assembly plants were located at Buffalo, New York (Tonawanda Engine) and Oakland, California. Framingham, Massachusetts is unusual in that it changed from Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac Assembly management to Chevy management prior to becoming GMAD. The terminology is confusing because most plants assembled more than just Chevrolet or B-O-P and refers to the management structure only. In addition, Buick assembled cars at their "home" plant in Flint, Michigan; Oldsmobile at Lansing, Michigan; Pontiac at Pontiac, Michigan; and Cadillac at Detroit, Michigan.
- St. Louis Truck Assembly, St. Louis, Missouri
- Janesville Assembly, Janesville, Wisconsin
- Norwood Assembly, Norwood, Ohio
- Flint Truck Assembly, Flint, Michigan
- North Tarrytown Assembly, Tarrytown, New York
- Lakewood Assembly, Atlanta, Georgia
- Leeds Assembly, Kansas City, Missouri
- Baltimore Assembly, Baltimore, Maryland
- Van Nuys Assembly, Los Angeles, California
- Willow Run Assembly, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Framingham Assembly, Framingham, Massachusetts
- Lordstown Assembly, Lordstown, Ohio
|This article relating to an automotive factory or manufacturer facility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|