Langton, North Yorkshire
Langton shown within North Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||180 mi (290 km) S|
|Shire county||North Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Thirsk and Malton (formerly Ryedale)|
Langton is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated 3 miles (5 km) south from the market town of Malton. The population at the 2011 Census was less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Birdsall, North Yorkshire.
Langton Hall was the home of Woodleigh School, an independent preparatory school founded in 1929 by the educationalist Arthur England, from 1946 until the school's closure in 2012. There is also a small state primary school, Langton Community School with around 80 pupils.
The village was historically the seat of the Norcliffe family. Their former home, Langton Hall, now owned by their descendants, the Howard-Vyse family, and leased to Woodleigh School until 2012, is a Grade II listed building.
In 1823 Langton was a civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, and the Wapentake of Buckrose. The parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, and the parish living was under the patronage of the King. Population at the time was 280. Occupations included five farmers, two grocers, a tailor & draper, a butcher, a shoemaker, a schoolmaster, a parish constable, and the landlord of Horse Shoes public house who was also a blacksmith. A Major and Mrs Northcliffe were resident at the Hall.
- Darley, Karen (26 May 2010). "A Visit to Woodleigh School in Langton". Gazette & Herald. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- Metcalfe, Claire (23 November 2006). "Langton". Gazette & Herald. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892) reprinted on "Langton". GENUKI. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- imagesofengland.org.uk. Langton Hall. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Baines, Edward (1823): History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, p. 362
- Media related to Langton, North Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Ryedale location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|