Legacies (TV series)
|Created by||Julie Plec|
|Narrated by||Danielle Rose Russell|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||4 (list of episodes)|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||October 25, 2018– present|
|Related shows||The Vampire Diaries |
Legacies is an American television drama series, created by Julie Plec, that premiered on October 25, 2018 on The CW. It is a spin-off of The Originals, which is itself a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries, and features characters originating from both series.
Danielle Rose Russell stars as Hope Mikaelson, a character that was first conceived during the fourth season of The Vampire Diaries. Russell began portraying the teenage version of the character in the fifth and final season of The Originals. Matt Davis also features prominently in the series, reprising his role as Alaric Saltzman from The Vampire Diaries, which is based on the novel series of the same name by L. J. Smith.
Legacies follows Hope Mikaelson, the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson and Hayley Marshall, who is descended from some of the most powerful vampire, werewolf, and witch bloodlines. Two years after the events of The Originals, 17-year-old Hope attends the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. The school provides a haven where supernatural beings can learn to control their abilities and impulses.
Cast and characters
- Danielle Rose Russell as Hope Mikaelson: A 17-year-old orphan and student at the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted who is descended from some of the most powerful vampire, werewolf, and witch bloodlines via her parents Klaus Mikaelson and Hayley Marshall. The character was first introduced on The Originals.
- Aria Shahghasemi as Landon Kirby: Rafael's foster brother and an old acquaintance of Hope who has a romantic interest in her. Initially thought to be a human, he is later suspected to be some kind of supernatural being. The character was first introduced on The Originals.
- Kaylee Bryant as Josie Saltzman: A witch and student at the Salvatore School. She is Alaric's daughter, Lizzie's twin, and was named after her biological mother, Josette "Jo" Laughlin of the powerful Gemini Coven. The character was first introduced on The Vampire Diaries.
- Jenny Boyd as Lizzie Saltzman: A witch and student at the Salvatore School. She is Alaric's daughter, Josie's twin, and was named after Elizabeth Forbes, the late mother of the twins' surrogate mother, Caroline Forbes. The character was first introduced on The Vampire Diaries.
- Quincy Fouse as Milton "M.G." Greasley: A good-natured vampire who works as Alaric's student aide, and is friendly with the Saltzman twins.
- Peyton Alex Smith as Rafael Waithe: A recently triggered werewolf and Landon's foster brother. After suffering an abusive childhood in the system, he becomes a student at the Salvatore School.
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman: The human headmaster of the Salvatore School and the father of Josie and Lizzie. Davis described Alaric's role in the series as "somewhere between Professor X and Dumbledore." The character was first introduced on The Vampire Diaries.
- Demetrius Bridges as Dorian Williams, the Librarian at the Salvatore School
- Karen David as Emma Tig, a witch and the school's guidance counselor
Special guest star
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (in "This Is the Part Where You Run", "Hope Is Not the Goal")
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert (in "We're Being Punked Pedro")
In August 2017, it was announced that early discussion on the development of a spinoff of The Originals, focusing on Hope Mikaelson the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson and Hayley Marshall, were taking place with Julie Plec, creator of The Originals and co-creator of The Vampire Diaries. In January 2018, it was revealed that a pilot for the spinoff had been ordered; Plec penned the pilot script, and is credited with creating the series. It was announced in March 2018 that the spinoff had been ordered to pilot, but instead of a traditional pilot, a fifteen-minute pilot presentation of the series would be presented to The CW.
On May 11, 2018, it was announced that the spinoff, titled Legacies, was ordered to series for the 2018–19 U.S. television season. In June 2018, it was announced that the series would premiere on October 25, 2018. On October 8, 2018, The CW ordered three additional scripts for the series, bringing the total script order to sixteen. On November 8, 2018, it was announced that The CW had ordered an additional three episodes of the series, bringing the first season total up to 16 episodes.
It was announced in March 2018 that The Vampire Diaries veteran Matt Davis would reprise the role of Alaric Saltzman, and that Danielle Rose Russell would star as Hope Mikaelson. Quincy Fouse, Jenny Boyd, Kaylee Bryant, and Aria Shahghasemi are also set to star. Shahghasemi would debut in the twelfth episode of the fifth season of The Originals as Hope's friend, Landon. It was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2018 that Paul Wesley would direct an episode, and that Zach Roerig would appear in the series. Also, it was revealed that Steven R. McQueen would appear as Jeremy Gilbert in the series' third episode.
|No.||Title ||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||Prod.|
|1||"This Is the Part Where You Run"||Chris Grismer||Julie Plec||October 25, 2018||T46.10051||1.12|
|2||"Some People Just Want to Watch the World Burn"||Michael Allowitz||Brett Matthews & Julie Plec||November 1, 2018||T46.10052||1.13|
|3||"We're Being Punked, Pedro"||Carol Banker||Julie Plec & Sherman Payne||November 8, 2018||T46.10053||1.09|
|4||"Hope Is Not the Goal"||Chris Grismer||Teleplay by: Bryce Ahart & Stephanie McFarlane|
Story by: Brett Mathews
|November 15, 2018||TBA||1.08|
|5||"Malivore"||Michael Karasick||Thomas Brandon & Penny Cox||November 29, 2018||TBA||TBD|
|6||"Mombie Dearest"||Geoff Shotz||Marguerite MacIntyre||December 6, 2018||TBA||TBD|
On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 75% based on 8 reviews, with an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 59 out of 100 based on 5 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
|1||"This Is the Part Where You Run"||October 25, 2018||0.3/1||1.12||0.3||0.66||0.6||1.79|
|2||"Some People Just Want to Watch the World Burn"||November 1, 2018||0.4/2||1.13||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|3||"We're Being Punked, Pedro"||November 8, 2018||0.3/1||1.09||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|4||"Hope Is Not the Goal"||November 15, 2018||0.3/1||1.08||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
- Pena, Jessica (May 17, 2018). "Legacies: CW Orders Spinoff of The Originals for Fall 2018". TV Series Finale. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Roffman, Marisa (July 21, 2018). "'Legacies' Books First 'Vampire Diaries' Vets but Will Follow Its Own Path". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 6, 2018). "'TVD/The Originals' Universe Spinoff: Matt Davis & Danielle Rose Russell Lead Cast of Hope-Centric Series In Works At the CW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (August 29, 2018). "Legacies Photos: Meet the Originals Spinoff Cast — and Start Speculating!". TVLine. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- MacDonald, Lindsay (October 25, 2018). "The Legacies Premiere Left Us With One Question: What the Hell Is Landon Kirby?". TV Guide. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (October 25, 2018). "Legacies Series Premiere: Grade It!". TVLine. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "'Legacies': Peyton Alex Smith Joins The CW Drama As Series Regular". Deadline. August 1, 2018. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Hatchett, Keisha (October 9, 2018). "Julie Plec Says Legacies Is What She Originally Intended The Vampire Diaries to Be". TV Guide. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (August 21, 2018). "'Legacies': Karen David To Recur In The CW Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (August 1, 2018). "Vampire Diaries' Steven R. McQueen to Reprise His Role on Spinoff Legacies". TVLine. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 2, 2017). "'The Originals' Spinoff Centered On Character Hope In Early Talks At The CW – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- "Development Update: Wednesday, August 2". The Futon Critic. August 2, 2017. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
Hope Mikaelson, the tribrid daughter of Niklaus Mikaelson and Hayley Marshall-Kenner, is being eyed for a potential spinoff of the series, which wraps its run after five seasons next year.
- DarkUFO (January 17, 2018). "Thee Originals – Spin-off ordered to Pilot?". Spoiler TV. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (March 6, 2018). "'The Originals' Spinoff Moves Forward at CW With Danielle Rose Russell, Matt Davis Set to Star". Variety. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Kantor, Jonathan H. (June 1, 2018). "6 New CW Shows Coming This Year (And 9 In Development)". Variety. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
Unlike most series ordered to pilot by the network, Legacies was given the opportunity to present a 15 minute pilot presentation for the series.
- Highfill, Samantha (May 11, 2018). "The CW picks up Legacies, the Hope-centric Originals spin-off". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (June 20, 2018). "The CW Sets Fall Premiere Dates, Including New 'Super' Sunday". TVLine. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (October 8, 2018). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for All American, Charmed and Legacies". TVLine. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 8, 2018). "'Charmed', 'Legacies' & 'All American' Get Back Episodic Orders At The CW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (May 11, 2018). "The CW Picks Up 'Charmed' & 'Roswell' Reboots, 'TVD'/'Originals Offshoot, 'In The Dark' & Greg Berlanti Pilot To Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (November 17, 2017). "The Originals Final Season Scoop: Meet the Human Who Catches Hope's Eye". TVLine. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- "Legacies (CW) – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 26, 2018). "'Big Bang Theory,' 'Supernatural,' and 'Thursday Night Football' adjust up, 'Will & Grace' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 2, 2018). "'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Superstore,' and more adjust up, 'I Feel Bad' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 9, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 16, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- "(#105) "Malivore"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "(#106) "Mombie Dearest"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- "Legacies: Season 1 (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Legacies: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (November 12, 2018). "Live+7 Ratings for Week of Oct. 22: Manifest Averaging 106% Growth". Variety. Retrieved November 12, 2018.