Hemsworth at the Japan premiere of Independence Day: Resurgence in 2016
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
(m. 2018; div. 2020)
|Relatives||Luke Hemsworth (brother)|
Chris Hemsworth (brother)
Liam Hemsworth (born 13 January 1990) is an Australian actor. He played the roles of Josh Taylor in the soap opera Neighbours and Marcus in the children's television series The Elephant Princess. In American films, Hemsworth starred as Will Blakelee in The Last Song (2010), as Gale Hawthorne in The Hunger Games film series (2012–2015), and as Jake Morrison in Independence Day: Resurgence (2016).
Hemsworth was born in Melbourne, Australia, to Leonie (née van Os), an English teacher, and Craig Hemsworth, a social-services counsellor. He has two older brothers, Chris Hemsworth and Luke Hemsworth, who are also actors. His maternal grandfather is a Dutch immigrant, and his other ancestry is English, Irish, Scottish, and German. Hemsworth has said that though there is competition for jobs among them, it is friendly: "We are brothers and we are always competitive, but it is a good thing, it pushes us and we are always happy whenever someone books something."
When Hemsworth was in year 8, he and his family relocated to Phillip Island, a small Australian island southeast of Melbourne where he spent much of his time there surfing with his brothers. In March 2009, Hemsworth moved to the United States to pursue his acting career. He and his brother Chris first stayed in the guest house of Chris's manager, William Ward, before renting their own Los Angeles apartment.
2007–2010: Career beginnings
Prior to becoming an actor, Hemsworth laid floors for six months. He began to seriously consider following his elder brothers' footsteps in high school by participating in school plays. Eventually, Hemsworth retained an agent. He attended his first audition at the age of sixteen and began his career in 2007 with guest appearances on the shows Home and Away and McLeod's Daughters. The week of 8 July 2007, Hemsworth began filming episodes for Neighbours, an Australian soap opera his brother Luke had previously starred in. Hemsworth's character, Josh Taylor, was a recurring character from 2007 to 2008. In the show, Josh was an athletic paraplegic who supported and began a relationship with character Bridget Parker after she was paralysed down one side of her body in a car crash. In 2008, Hemsworth began acting on the children's television show The Elephant Princess, playing "Marcus", the lead guitarist of the protagonist's band. Hemsworth later had roles in the television series Satisfaction and starred in the British film Triangle. He also made a brief appearance as an MIT student in the film Knowing.
In 2009, Hemsworth was selected to act opposite Sylvester Stallone in Stallone's 2010 film, The Expendables, but his character was written out of the script (Hemsworth later co-starred in The Expendables 2). Hemsworth's brother, Chris, told Movieline that just a few hours after Hemsworth learned he would not appear in The Expendables, director Kenneth Branagh called to ask him to test for the lead role in the 2011 film Thor. Hemsworth moved to the States in March 2009 for screen tests. Though he eventually lost the role to Chris in May, Disney announced later the same week that Hemsworth had landed the part of Will Blakelee in the 2010 drama The Last Song, based on the Nicholas Sparks novel by the same name. Hemsworth plays the love interest of Miley Cyrus's character in the film. Nikki Finke reported that Hemsworth had been in Los Angeles for just three weeks and had not yet found an agent when he was cast. Hemsworth next appeared in the music video for Cyrus' "When I Look at You" which was recorded on 16 August 2009.
In September 2009, Hemsworth appeared at a dinner event to promote Foxtel, an Australian pay television company. In March 2010, Details magazine selected Hemsworth as one of their predictions for "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Later that month, it was announced that Hemsworth was in negotiations to star in Arabian Nights, a 3D action film that will be directed by Chuck Russell for Inferno Entertainment. It was later confirmed that he will be starring in the movie. He has also reportedly been offered the lead role in Northern Lights after Taylor Lautner withdrew from the David Ellison-financed project.
2011–present: The Hunger Games series and beyond
On 4 April 2011, Lionsgate announced Hemsworth to be one of the leads, Gale Hawthorne, in The Hunger Games, which was released in 2012. In June 2011, he became attached to war drama Love and Honor which also stars Aimee Teegarden and Teresa Palmer.
In 2013, Hemsworth appeared in Empire State, with Emma Roberts, and Paranoia, co-starring Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Amber Heard. He reprised his role, Gale Hawthorne, in three sequels to The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, released in November 2013, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, released in November 2014, and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, released in November 2015.
On 11 June 2012, Los Angeles-based non-profit organization Australians in Film announced that Hemsworth would be honoured at an exclusive benefit dinner on 27 June 2012 in Hollywood. Hemsworth attended the invitation only event, held at the Intercontinental Hotel in Century City, with his then fiancée Miley Cyrus. It was their first public appearance together as an engaged couple.
In 2015, Hemsworth portrayed the love interest of Kate Winslet's character in the Australian literary adaptation The Dressmaker, which was filmed in Victoria in the summer of 2014. Hemsworth starred in director Roland Emmerich's 2016 film Independence Day: Resurgence. In 2019, following a three-year absence, he played a fantasy version of a romantic comedy leading man in the film Isn't It Romantic, and starred in the action crime film Killerman.
Hemsworth currently appears on the horror TV series, Most Dangerous Game, for Quibi, the short-form streaming platform. Hemsworth plays the lead role as a terminally ill man trying to provide for his pregnant wife before he dies.
Hemsworth is the ambassador of the Australian Childhood Foundation. Hemsworth talked about his association with the foundation, "I have the best parents you can have. They have worked in child protection for twenty years and have only ever given me encouragement and support. The world is a scary enough place as it is for children. It is important that home should always be a safe place for them." When asked if he believed he was a hero to children, Hemsworth said he did not know, but that he would like to be a good role model.
Hemsworth was vegan and told Men's Fitness in 2015 that he found "no negatives to eating like this. I feel nothing but positive, mentally and physically." In 2020, following hospitalization for kidney stones, he told Men's Health that he had to "completely rethink what I was putting in my body."
Relationship with Miley Cyrus
While filming The Last Song in June 2009, Hemsworth began a relationship with his co-star Miley Cyrus. After a three-year on-again, off-again relationship, the couple announced their engagement in June 2012. They lived together in Los Angeles but ended their engagement in September 2013. In July 2014, Hemsworth said that he and Cyrus would "always be best friends" and they had "an instantaneous and powerful connection." Rumours began in January 2016, stemming primarily from sightings of the couple together at his Malibu home and the reappearance of the engagement ring on Cyrus. Cyrus confirmed in an interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in October 2016, they were once again engaged.
In November 2018, Cyrus revealed on social media that her and Hemsworth's home had burned down in the Woolsey Fire, and expressed devastation for her community and gratitude for the safety of herself, Hemsworth, and their pets. The following morning, Hemsworth responded on his social media by posting a picture he had taken of the charred rubble of their former home. In his posts he praised the residents of his community on how they united in helping with the consequences of the fire, and encouraged his followers to donate their time, money, and resources to The Malibu Foundation, a non-profit established in the wake of the Woolsey fire, and to his fiancée's own non-profit organisation, the Happy Hippie Foundation, to further contribute help with the aftermath. On 13 November 2018, Hemsworth and Cyrus made a joint $500,000 donation to The Malibu Foundation through Cyrus's foundation.
Hemsworth and Cyrus married on 23 December 2018 at their home in Nashville, Tennessee. On 10 August 2019, Cyrus announced their separation. Eleven days later, Hemsworth filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences. On 28 January 2020, it was announced that their divorce had been finalized.
|2010||The Last Song||Will Blakelee|
|2012||The Hunger Games||Gale Hawthorne|
|2012||The Expendables 2||Billy "The Kid" Timmons|
|2013||Love and Honor||Mickey Wright|
|2013||Empire State||Chris Potamitis|
|2013||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Gale Hawthorne|
|2014||Cut Bank||Dwayne McLaren|
|2014||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1||Gale Hawthorne|
|2015||The Dressmaker||Ted McSwiney|
|2015||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2||Gale Hawthorne|
|2016||Independence Day: Resurgence||Jake Morrison|
|2016||The Duel||David Kingston|
|2019||Isn't It Romantic||Blake|
|2007||Home and Away||Unknown||Episode #1.4372|
|2007||McLeod's Daughters||Damo||Episode: "Leaving the Nest"|
|2007–2008||Neighbours||Josh Taylor||25 episodes|
|2008–2009||The Elephant Princess||Marcus||18 episodes|
|2015||The Muppets||Himself||Episode: "Bear Left Then Bear Write"|
|2016||Workaholics||Cushing Ward||Episode: "Wolves of Rancho"|
|2020||Most Dangerous Game||Dodge Maynard||Lead|
Awards and nominations
|2010||Young Hollywood Awards||Breakthrough of the Year||The Last Song||Won|
|Nickelodeon Australian Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Kiss (with Miley Cyrus)|
|Cutest Couple (with Miley Cyrus)||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Breakout Star – Male||Won|
|Choice Movie – Liplock (with Miley Cyrus)||Nominated|
|Choice Movie – Drama|
|Choice Move – Dance Scene (with Miley Cyrus)|
|Choice Movie – Chemistry (with Miley Cyrus)|
|2012||Choice Movie – Male Scene Stealer||The Hunger Games|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite On-Screen Chemistry (shared with Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson)||Won|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Hottie – Male|
|2014||Choice Hottie – Male||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire|
|Choice Movie Actor – Sci-Fi|
|2015||Choice Movie Actor – Sci-Fi||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1|
|Choice Movie – Best Kiss (with Jennifer Lawrence)|
|2017||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Action Movie Actor||Independence Day: Resurgence|
|2019||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actor – Comedy||Isn't It Romantic|
|2020||Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Short Form Comedy or Drama Series||Most Dangerous Game||Nominated|
- Oswald, Anjelica. "24 celebrity couples with extreme height differences". Insider.
- "Liam Hemsworth Biography: Actor (1990–)". Biography.com / Fyi (A&E Networks). Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Cyrus 'saw in new year on Phillip Island'". Herald Sun. 4 January 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Rapkin, Mickey (28 November 2011). "The Hunger Games' Liam Hemsworth Has No Idea What's About to Hit Him: Cover Stars". Details. Archived from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Why the Hemsworth brothers have the hottest genes in Hollywood". NewsComAu. Archived from the original on 6 October 2015.
- Ira Madison (4 May 2009). "The Verge: Chris Hemsworth". Movieline. Archived from the original on 24 March 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "10 Fun Facts About Liam Hemsworth". People. Archived from the original on 15 May 2016. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Brothers LA's hot new family". Herald Sun. 30 October 2009. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Miley Cyrus Stole My Boyfriend". Woman's Day. 31 August 2009. Archived from the original on 21 February 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Talbot, Lindsay (18 November 2009). "Exclusive Q&A and Clip with The Last Song's Liam Hemsworth". Teen Vogue. Archived from the original on 28 November 2009. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Smith, Krista (January 2010). "The Brothers Hemsworth". Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on 28 February 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Finke, Nikki (16 June 2009). "Exclusive: Chris Hemsworth is 'Thor'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 11 May 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
- A kiss wasn't just a kiss: Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus' on-set romance Archived 6 April 2010 at Archive.today
- "Liam Hemsworth". Mark Morrisey & Associates. Archived from the original on 7 January 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Hemsworth bros face off". Herald Sun. 13 July 2007. Archived from the original on 15 June 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- "Declan Napier". Neighbours.com.au. Neighbours. Archived from the original on 1 May 2008. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "The Elephant Princess". Jonathan-m-shiff.com.au. The Elephant Princess. Archived from the original on 22 February 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2010.
- Walters, David (March 2010). "The Next Generation of Hollywood's Leading Men". Details. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Conn, Leslie (19 May 2009). "Casting for Miley Cyrus movie under way". Savannah Morning News. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2009.
- "Savannah, 'The Last Song' featured in Miley Cyrus music video". Savannah Morning News. 12 September 2009. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- Shankman, Adam (16 August 2009). "Twitter / Adam Shankman: Just wrapped "When I Look..." Twitter. Archived from the original on 10 November 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2009.
- "Miley Cyrus Aussie lover Liam Hemsworth mum on romance at Foxtel event". The Daily Telegraph. 30 October 2009. Archived from the original on 29 August 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Comic Book & Sci-Fi Movie News – Heat Vision – The Hollywood Reporter". Heatvisionblog.com. 14 August 2013. Archived from the original on 12 March 2010. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (19 April 2010). "Exclusive: Hemsworth to Star in College Hoops Movie". TheWrap.com. Archived from the original on 10 June 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- Williams, Carly. "Liam Hemsworth to host Australian Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards". Herald Sun. Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- "Two-Time GRAMMY Winners Zac Brown Band Premiere "Colder Weather" Video Tomorrow at 11am ET on ZacBrownBand.com". Higherrockmusic.com. Archived from the original on 12 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Hunger Games Casting News: Lionsgate Confirms That The Roles Of Peeta & Gale Have Been Officially Cast! – Hunger Games". Hungergamesmovie.org. 4 April 2011. Archived from the original on 12 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Trumbore, Dave (25 June 2011). "Liam Hemsworth Goes AWOL; Teresa Palmer, Austin Stowell, and Aimee Teegarden Also in Talks to Join". Collider. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Announcing 2012 Australians in Film Breakthrough Award Recipients, New International Awards & Heath Ledger Scholarship Winner". Digital Journal (Press release). Archived from the original on 20 December 2014.
- Mary Margaret. "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Make First Public Appearance Since Engagement". Parade. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014.
- "THAT'S A WRAP!". Archived from the original on 20 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- "Film Producer Thanks Community". Archived from the original on 13 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Roland Emmerich on Twitter". Twitter. Archived from the original on 9 July 2015.
- Porter, Rick (28 June 2019). "Liam Hemsworth To Star in Action Thriller for Quibi". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Liam Hemsworth calls on Australians to support children by donating to Childhood Hero Appeal". Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- Adams, Jason (7 October 2015). "Liam Hemsworth, A Force of Nature". Men's Fitness. Archived from the original on 21 October 2015.
- Lauren Williamson, "The Health Scare That Forced Liam Hemsworth To Quit A Vegan Diet," Men's Health 4 April 2020.
- "Miley Cyrus Discusses Her Chemistry With Liam Hemsworth On 'Ellen'". MTV. 25 March 2010. Archived from the original on 27 June 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2010.
- "Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth Are Engaged". People. 6 June 2012. Archived from the original on 9 June 2012.
- Webber, Stephanie (14 September 2013). "Miley Cyrus Stops Following Fiance Liam Hemsworth on Twitter". Us Weekly. Archived from the original on 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth End Engagement". People. 16 September 2013. Archived from the original on 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Liam on Miley: "We'll always be best friends"". New York Post. 6 July 2014. Archived from the original on 6 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Ryder, Taryn. "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Engaged (Again)!". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 29 January 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- Bailey, Alyssa (27 October 2016). "Miley Cyrus talks about her relationship status with Liam Hemsworth again". Elle. Archived from the original on 28 October 2016. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Miley Cyrus".
- Miley Ray Cyrus [@MileyCyrus] (12 November 2018). "Completely devestated by the fires affecting my community. I am one of the lucky ones. My animals and LOVE OF MY LIFE made it out safely & that's all that matters right now. My house no longer stands but the memories shared with family & friends stand strong. I am grateful for" (Tweet). Retrieved 18 March 2019 – via Twitter.
- Hemsworth, Liam (13 November 2018). "It's been a heartbreaking few days. This is what's left of my house. Love. Many people in Malibu and surrounding areas in California have lost their homes also and my heart goes out to everyone who was affected by these fires. To help: http://themalibufoundation.org & @happyhippiefdnpic.twitter.com/vtLFytFmNw".
- "Liam Hemsworth on Instagram: "It's been a heartbreaking few days. This is what's left of my house. Love. Many people in Malibu and surrounding areas in California have…"". Instagram.
- "Liam Hemsworth". www.facebook.com.
- "THANK YOU MILEY AND LIAM!". malibufoundation.gvng.org.
- "Miley Cyrus Confirms Wedding to Liam Hemsworth with Touching Photos — See Her Stunning Dress". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- Elizabeth, De (10 August 2019). "Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Have Reportedly Split Up". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Nelson, Jeff (21 August 2019). "Liam Hemsworth Files for Divorce from Miley Cyrus After 7 Months of Marriage". People. Retrieved 21 August 2019.
- "Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth single again, divorce finalized". ABC News. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liam Hemsworth.|