List of AIPAC officers
Officers of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee include:
AIPAC senior management are listed here:
- Executive Director: Howard Kohr: Howard Kohr has been the executive director of the AIPAC since 1996. Before his employment at AIPAC, he was deputy director of the National Jewish Coalition, assistant Washington representative of the American Jewish Committee, and a management fellow for the Department of Defense. Prior to becoming executive director at AIPAC, he served in several staff positions. The Jewish Daily Forward identified him in a salary survey of 2012 as one of the most overpaid executives of Jewish non-profits, earning $556,232.
Previous Executive Directors
- Neal Sher Esq., 1994–1996
- Thomas Dine, 1980–1993. In this time, AIPAC grew from 24 employees and a budget of $1.4 million to 158 employees and a budget of $15 million. Membership climbed from 8,000 to a claimed 55,000. Dine reportedly earned $500,000/year.
- Morris J. Amitay, 1974–1980
Past AIPAC Presidents, their tenures, career, and U.S. party-affiliation (if known), are listed here in reverse chronological order:
- Howard Friedman, 2006-2009, Baltimore
- Bernice Manocherian, 2004-2006 New York City
- Amy Friedkin, 2001-2004, San Francisco, active in grassroots Jewish organizations.
- Robert H. Asher, 1997-2001 Chicago manufacturer of lamps and shades
- Steven Grossman, 1992–1997, communications executive and Democratic Party chairman
- David Steiner, 19??–1992, New Jersey real estate developer
- Larry Weinberg, 1976-1981, a real-estate broker in Los Angeles (and a former owner of the Portland Trail Blazers)
- Tim Wuliger, 1980–1981, Cleveland investor
- Lonny Kaplan, 1978–1980, New Jersey insurance executive.
- Melvin Dow, 1976–1978, a Houston attorney
- Mayer "Bubba" Mitchell, 1965–1968, a scrap-metal dealer in Mobile, Alabama
- Edward Levy, Jr., 1964–1965, a building-supplies executive in Detroit
- Robert Asher, 1962–1964, a lighting-fixtures dealer in Chicago
Notable Board members
AIPAC's National Board has approximately 50 members. By tradition, previous Presidents serve as Board members, and are not listed separately here. (Asher, Levy, Mitchell, and Weinberg were sometimes referred to as the "Gang of Four".) There are also state-level and some city-level AIPAC boards.
Other notable National Board members include:
- Mickey Kantor
- former Senator Rudy Boschwitz (R-Minn.)[clarification needed]
- S. Daniel Abraham (Democrat)
- Steven Grossman - former chairman of the Democratic National Committee (Democrat)
- Norman Brownstein - prominent Denver lawyer, was an early financial backer of the Kerry campaign (Democrat)
- Larry A. Mizel - prominent Denver CEO (Republican)
Notable Executive Committee members
All members of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations serve on AIPAC's Executive Committee. Notable members include:
- American Israel Public Affairs Committee
- Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations