List of Oakland Raiders first-round draft picks
The Oakland Raiders are a professional American football team based in Oakland, California. They are a member of the American Football Conference West Division (AFC West). The team began play in 1960 as a charter member of the American Football League, which merged with the National Football League in 1970. In 1982, the team relocated to Los Angeles, where they remained until the franchise returned to Oakland in 1995. The franchise has selected 53 players in the first round, two of these being the first overall pick.
The NFL Draft, which is officially known as the "Player Selection Meeting", is held each April. The draft is used as the primary means to distribute newly available talent (primarily from college football) equitably amongst the teams. Selections are made in reverse order based on the previous season's record, i.e., the club with the worst record from the previous season selects first. Through 2009, only two exceptions were made to this order: the Super Bowl champion always selects last (32nd), and the Super Bowl loser second to last (31st). Beginning in 2010, teams making the playoffs have been seeded in reverse order depending upon how far they advance. The draft consists of seven rounds. Teams have the option of trading selections for players, cash and/or other selections (including future year selections). Thus, it is not uncommon for a team's actual draft pick to differ from their assigned draft pick, or for a team to have extra or no draft picks in any round due to these trades.
The Raiders have selected first twice. They have also selected the second overall pick twice. The University of Southern California has the most players chosen by the Raiders from one university, with four selections.
|^||Indicates the player was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.|
|*||Selected number one overall|
|—||The Raiders did not draft a player in the first round that year.|
|Year||Each year links to an article about that particular NFL Draft.|
|Pick||Indicates the number of the pick within the first round|
|Position||Indicates the position of the player in the NFL|
|College||The player's college football team|
- "Oakland Raiders Draft History". Pro-Football-Reference. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Alder, James. "NFL Draft Basics:Determining Order of Selection". About.com. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Branch, John (April 9, 2000). "The 2000 Liars Club/ Draft makes Broncos coach cloak intentions". The Gazette (Colorado Springs). Archived from the original on October 23, 2007. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Duffy, Mike (March 26, 2009). "New Draft Order, More Rule Changes". BaltimoreRavens.com. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Alder, James. "NFL Draft Basics:Determining Order of Selection". About.com. Retrieved May 26, 2008.