List of Roman tribes
Tribes (Latin tribus) were groupings of citizens in ancient Rome, originally based on location. Voters were eventually organized by tribes, with each tribe having an equal vote in the Tribal Assembly.
Poorer people living in the city of Rome itself typically belonged to the four urban tribes, which were the largest and had the least political power. These tribes were named for districts of the city.
Two of the tribes are unclear; the thirty-fifth tribe has been found listed as both Succusana and Pupinia.
The official order of the tribes
There was an official order of the tribes. Literature and archeological documentation show that the urban tribes are enumerated according to a counter-clockwise circuit of the city. On that basis, Lily Ross Taylor suggested that the same held for the rural tribes.
Archeological findings of tesserae led Michael Crawford to suggest that the tribes were ordered according to the principal roads leading counter-clockwise from Rome (Ostiensis, Appia, Latina, Praenestina, Valeria, Salaria, Flaminia and Clodia).
|Abbreviation of the tribe||Name of the tribe||Character of the tribe||Date of establishment||#|
|AEM||Aemilia||older rural tribe||IIX|
|ANI||Aniensis||later rural tribe||299||XXIV|
|ARN||Arnensis||later rural tribe||387||XXXV|
|CAM||Camilia||older rural tribe||XXIII|
|CLA||Claudia||older rural tribes||504||XXII|
|CLU||Clustumina||older rural tribe||495||XXIIX|
|COR||Cornelia||older rural tribe||XXI|
|FAB||Fabia||older rural tribe||XXV|
|FAL||Falerna||later rural tribe||318||XIII|
|GAL||Galeria||older rural tribe||XXXIII|
|HOR||Horatia||older rural tribe||IX|
|LEM||Lemonia||older rural tribe||XIV|
|MAE||Maecia||later rural tribe||332||X|
|MEN||Menenia||older rural tribe||XIX|
|OVF||Oufentina||later rural tribe||318||XVI|
|PAP||Papiria||older rural tribe||XV|
|POB||Poblilia||later rural tribe||358||XX|
|POL||Pollia||older rural tribe||XXVI|
|POM||Pomptina||later rural tribe||358||XII|
|PVP||Pupinia||older rural tribe||XIIX|
|QVI||Quirina||later rural tribe||241||XXIX|
|ROM||Romilia||older rural tribe||V|
|SAB||Sabatina||later rural tribe||387||XXXIV|
|SCA||Scaptia||later rural tribe||332||XI|
|SER||Sergia||older rural tribe||XXVII|
|STE||Stellatina||later rural tribe||387||XXXI|
|TER||Teretina||later rural tribe||299||XVII|
|TRO||Tromentina||later rural tribe||387||XXXII|
|VEL||Velina||later rural tribe||241||XXX|
|VOL||Voltinia||older rural tribe||VI|
|VOT||Voturia||older rural tribe||VII|
- About.com: 35 Tribes of Rome, accessed 2 October 2010, 4:15 am (GMT)
- Livy, Ab urbe condita, 2.21
- About.com: Names of the 35 Tribes of Rome, accessed 2 October 2010, 4:25 am (GMT)
- Taylor, Lily Ross (2013). The Votng Districts of the Roman Republic. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press.
- Crawford, M.H. (2002). "Tribus,tesseres et regions". CRAI. 146: 1125–35.
- Italicized the rural tribes derived from Roman gentes
- In bold the number documented by literature and archeological evidence
- before 495
- the only one of the later rural tribes with a gens name, but, unlike the old patrician tribal names, Poblilia was a well-known plebeian nomen
- Names of the Roman Tribes, Names of the 35 Major Roman Voting Tribes, By N.S. Gill, About.com Guide