List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, May 2017
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in May 2017, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see: List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
The table below lists 7 individuals. (This number should update automatically when changes are saved.)
|Date||Name (age) of deceased||State (city)||Description|
|2017-05-28||Francis De La Cruz (35)||San Jose, California||Responding to a disturbance call at the Donner Lofts affordable housing complex, police were met by a mentally ill man who refused to open the door and instead set fire to the inside of the door. When police forced their way in and apprehended the other occupant, DeLaCruz advanced on the officers with an ax and was fatally shot. |
|2017-05-08||Anthony David Soderberg (29)||Los Angeles, California||A man who broke into a woman's home barricaded himself after she called the police. He armed himself with a gun that belonged to one of the residents. A LAPD SWAT team was dispatched to the home, which was surrounded by bushes and was located at the top of a hill. A helicopter was used to survey the home. At first, officers used a bullhorn to convince the suspect to surrender. After no response, tear gas was launched. The suspect then opened fire at the police, including the helicopter. Officers returned fire, killing him. It is believed that the fatal shot was fired by a sniper who was in the helicopter.|
|2017-05-06||Jacob Peterson (15)||San Diego, California||A 15-year old male student at Torrey Pines High School called 911, requesting officers to perform a welfare check. Two officers arrived and spotted him in the front parking lot. As they were exiting their cruisers, he pulled out an air pistol and pointed it at the officers. Officers opened fire on him. First aid was rendered, and the boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. The police suspected that the boy intended to commit suicide-by-cop because of a note found on his body.|
|2017-05-03||Malik Carey (18)||Grand Rapids, Michigan||According to Grand Rapids police, the 18-year-old victim was a probation violator and he has been shot and killed in an exchange of gunfire with officers after he allegedly refused to comply with officers' commands, produced a handgun and fired at the officers.|
|2017-05-03||Nicholas Flusche (26)||San Francisco, California||Police officers encountered a stabbing in process and shot Flusche, who died at the scene.|
|2017-05-01||James Edward Ray (41)||Detroit, Michigan||Police officers responded to a domestic violence call, when Ray shot one officer. Ray was shot multiple times when the officers returned fire. He died at the scene.|
|2017-05-01||Peter Selis (49)||University City, San Diego||Police received report of a man shooting people by the swimming pool, upon arriving they saw the suspect still in the pool area and he appeared to be reloading. Three officers shot the suspect after he allegedly pointed the gun at them.|
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- Green, Jason (2017-06-01). "San Jose: Man shot and killed by police officer ID'd". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2017-09-18.
- Kate Mather (May 9, 2017). "Fatal police shooting in Sunland marks first time LAPD fires from helicopter". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 11, 2017.
- "LAPD shot from helicopter when it killed standoff suspect". San Jose Mercury News. May 11, 2017.
- Julie Watson (May 8, 2017). "Teen killed by San Diego officers left suicide note". MSN. Associated Press. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Karen Kucher; Lyndsay Winkley (June 28, 2017). "DA clears SDPD officers who shot, killed suicidal Torrey Pines teen". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Hurwitz, Sarah (May 3, 2017). "GRPD: Suspect dies after officer-involved shooting". WOOD-TV.
- "San Francisco police release video of fatal officer-involved shooting in Subway". KRON4. May 4, 2017.
- "Suspect identified in Detroit police shooting". Detroit Free Press. May 1, 2017.
- "White man shoots six people of colour in suspected hate crime". The Independent. May 1, 2017.