List of members of the 3rd Northern Ireland Assembly
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|3rd Northern Ireland Assembly|
|Meeting place||Parliament Buildings,|
|Term||13 March 2007 – 23 March 2011|
|Election||2007 assembly election|
|Government||Executive of the 3rd Assembly|
— Eileen Bell
until 8 May 2007
|First Minister||Peter Robinson|
— Arlene Foster
until 3 February 2010
— Peter Robinson
until 11 January 2010
— Ian Paisley
until 5 June 2008
|Deputy First Minister||Martin McGuinness|
|●||Democratic Unionist Party||Unionist||36||35|
|●||Ulster Unionist Party||Unionist||18||16|
|●||Social Democratic and Labour Party||Nationalist||16||16|
|●||Alliance Party of Northern Ireland[n 1]||Other||7||7|
|Progressive Unionist Party||Unionist||1||0|
|Green Party in Northern Ireland||Other||1||1|
|● = Northern Ireland Executive|
This is not the actual seating plan.
Changes since the election
- William Hay was elected Speaker of the Assembly at its first sitting.
- George Dawson (DUP, East Antrim) died on 7 May 2007 and was replaced by Alastair Ian Ross on 14 May 2007.
- Gerry McHugh resigned from Sinn Féin and became an independent on 29 November 2007; on 30 November 2009 he announced that he had joined Fianna Fáil. On 3 December 2009, it was reported that even though he was now a member of Fianna Fáil, he would remain an independent member of the Assembly.
- Danny Kinahan replaced David Burnside (who had resigned on 1 June 2009) on 9 June 2009.
- Billy Leonard replaced Francie Brolly (who had resigned on 11 December 2009) on 7 January 2010.
- Iris Robinson's membership in the DUP was terminated around 9 January 2010, she resigned as an MLA on 12 January 2010, and was replaced by Jonathan Bell on 25 January 2010.
- Carmel Hanna resigned on 15 January 2010; Conall McDevitt was sworn in as her replacement on 21 January 2010.
- Alan McFarland resigned from the Ulster Unionist Party on 31 March 2010.
- Dawn Purvis resigned from the Progressive Unionist Party on 3 June 2010.
- Naomi Long was elected to the Belfast East parliamentary constituency on 6 May 2010 and was replaced by Chris Lyttle on 5 July.
- Ian Paisley, Jr. was elected to the North Antrim parliamentary constituency on 6 May 2010. He resigned on 21 June 2010 and was replaced by Paul Frew.
- Jeffrey Donaldson resigned on 10 June 2010 and was replaced by Paul Givan.
- David Simpson and William McCrea were replaced by Sydney Anderson and Paul Girvan on 1 July 2010.
- Jim Shannon resigned on 1 August 2010 and was replaced by Simpson Gibson on 2 August 2010.
- Nigel Dodds resigned on 10 September 2010 and was replaced by William Humphrey on 13 September 2010.
- Mark Durkan resigned on 9 November 2010 and was replaced by Pól Callaghan on 15 November 2010.
- Gerry Adams resigned on 7 December 2010 and was replaced by Pat Sheehan on the same date.
- David McClarty resigned from the Ulster Unionist Party on 3 January 2011, after being deselected for the 2011 election.
- "Ian Paisley retires as NI Assembly completes historical first full term". BBC News. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Northern Ireland - DUP assembly member Dawson dies". bbc.co.uk.
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Northern Ireland - 'Disillusioned' SF man resigns". bbc.co.uk.
- "nwipp-newspapers.com". nwipp-newspapers.com.
- "Gerry McHugh still independent MLA despite Fianna Fail move". Impartial Reporter.
- "Ní Chuilín welcomes Billy Leonard onto the Sinn Féin Assembly Team". sinnfein.ie.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 January 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Alliance selects Chris Lyttle as new East Belfast MLA". BBC News.
- "BBC News - Paisley set to leave NI assembly". bbc.co.uk.
- "DUP's Paul Frew to replace Paisley jnr in the Assembly". BBC News.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 November 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2007.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "David McClarty resigns from UUP after being deselected". BBC News.