List of schools in Otago
Otago is a region in the South Island of New Zealand. It contains numerous rural primary schools, several small town primary and secondary schools, and some big city schools in Dunedin. In New Zealand schools, students begin formal education in Year 1 at the age of five. Year 13 is the final year of secondary education. Years 14 and 15 refer to adult education facilities. State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they like state schools cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. As Dunedin was founded by Presbyterian Scottish settlers there are a Presbyterian girls' and boys' school in the city. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students. Unlike other major cities in New Zealand, Dunedin does not have any private intermediate or high schools. All remaining private intermediate and high schools have been integrated into the state system.
The socioeconomic decile indicates the socioeconomic status of the school's 'zone' (or catchment) area. A decile of 1 indicates the school draws from a poor area; a decile of 10 indicates the school draws from a well-off area. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles were last revised using information from the 2006 Census. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education are based on figures from October 2014. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Te Kete Ipurangi page for each school.
Central Otago District
|Cromwell Primary School||1–6||Coed||Cromwell||State||8||214||||3729|
|Dunstan High School||9–13||Coed||Alexandra||State||9||528||||372|
|Maniototo Area School||1–13||Coed||Ranfurly||State||7||166||||370|
|Millers Flat School||1–8||Coed||Millers Flat||State||7||36||||3771|
|Roxburgh Area School||1–13||Coed||Roxburgh||State||4||172||||375|
|St Gerard's School||1–8||Coed||Alexandra||State integrated||9||132||-||3823|
|St John's School||1–8||Coed||Ranfurly||State integrated||7||63||-||3824|
|The Terrace School||1–8||Coed||Alexandra||State||8||380||||3844|
|Hawea Flat School||3747||1–6||Coed||Hawea Flat||State||177|||
|Holy Family School||557||1–8||Coed||Wanaka||State integrated||134||||Catholic|
|KingsView School||633||1–8||Coed||Frankton||State integrated||37|||
|Makarora Primary School||3767||1–8||Coed||Makarora||State||15|||
|Mount Aspiring College||533||7–13||Coed||Wanaka||State||739|||
|Remarkables Primary School||6783||1–8||Coed||Frankton||State||549|||
|Shotover Primary School||586||1–8||Coed||Lower Shotover||State||||Opened January 2015.
Years 1–4 only in 2015.
|St Joseph's School||4016||1–8||Coed||Queenstown||State integrated||144||||Catholic|
|Wakatipu High School||374||9–13||Coed||Queenstown||State||755|||
|Wanaka Primary School||1167||1–6||Coed||Wanaka||State||568|||
- Brighton School, Brighton, merged with Ocean View School to form Big Rock Primary School, July 2008
- Corstorphine School, closed July 2010 due to declining roll numbers
- High Street School, closed February 2011 due to declining roll numbers
- King Edward Technical College, closed 1974 and replaced with Logan Park High School.
- Moreau College, merged with St Paul's High School in 1989 to form Kavanagh College
- Ocean View School, Ocean View, closed and merged with Brighton School to form Big Rock Primary School, July 2008
- Rotary Park School, Waverley – state contributing primary, closed 2012.
- St Patrick's School, closed April 2011 due to declining roll numbers.
- St Paul's High School, merged with Moreau College in 1989 to form Kavanagh College
- Tomahawk School, closed April 2010 due to declining roll numbers.
- Waldronville School, closed April 2010 due to declining roll numbers.
- Calton Hill School, Caversham School, and College Street School, merged on the Caversham site, with a satellite campus at the Calton Hill site, in January 2012 to form Carisbrook School.
- Forbury School and Macandrew Intermediate merged on the Macandrew Intermediate site in January 2012 to form Bathgate Park School.
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Retrieved 2006-06-23.[dead link]
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Retrieved 2008-06-08.[dead link]
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 5 November 2014". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2014-12-06.
- Bruce, David (25 September 2010). "Otepopo School closes after 146 years". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Parata, Hekia (12 September 2013). "Establishment Of A New School In Shotover Country, Wakatipu Basin". New Zealand Gazette (New Zealand Government) 2013 (126): 3508. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "School Closures, Mergers and New: December_2008" (XLS). Education Counts.
- Tolley, Anne (8 July 2011). "Decision on South Dunedin schooling". New Zealand Government. Retrieved 11 September 2011.