LuLu Group International
|Limited liability company|
|Founder||Yusuff Ali M.A.|
Number of locations
|182 stores (Last Open Al hamriya,Dubai,UAE)|
|Yusuff Ali M.A. (Founder and Managing Director)|
|Revenue||$6.3 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
LuLu Group International is an Emirati multinational conglomerate company that operates a chain of hypermarkets and retail companies, headquartered in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It was founded in 2000 by M. A. Yusuff Ali who hails from Nattika, Thrissur district in Kerala, India. LuLu Group International mainly operates the international chain of hypermarkets named "Lulu Hypermarket" across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). LuLu has over 57, 000 employees of various nationalities.
It is one of the largest retail chains in Asia and is the biggest in the Middle East with 182 outlets in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. LuLu Group International administrates Lulu Hypermarket which also have 13 malls all over the GCC Countries, LuLu International Shopping Mall largest mall in India along with Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Kochi in the same Lulu campus and largest mall in Malaysia. Research firm Deloitte, recently placed it amongst the world’s 50 fastest growing retailers. Lulu has also started Lulu Convention Centre in Thrissur which is spread across an area of 7.3 hectares (18 acres) with a built-up area of 15,000 square metres (160,000 sq ft). Lulu's project of Lulu Bolgatty International Convention Centre in Bolghatty Island is one of the largest Convention Centre in South Asia along with the third largest Grand Hyatt branded hotel in the same campus. In 2016, M. A. Yusuff Ali, founder of Lulu, purchased the Scotland Yard Building in London. According to 2013, Yusuff Ali hold 9.37 per cent share in Cochin International Airport. Lulu Group International has bought a 10-percent stake in the UK-based trading firm, East India Company, and a 40-percent stake in its fine foods subsidiary for around $85 million in total. Y International, the export distribution center in United States and Europe for LuLu Group International 
LuLu Group International opened its first supermarket in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, in 1995, when the retail business scenario in the region started to change with the entry of Continent (now Carrefour). Later, more LuLu Supermarket stores were opened in different parts of Abu Dhabi There are also several Lulu stores found in the emirate of Dubai. In the late 1990s, the LuLu Center department stores were launched, and the group expanded to other countries in the Middle East.
In 2000, the first Lulu Hypermarket store was opened in Dubai. With this launch, the Group embarked on an aggressive expansion plan. It soon grew into a chain with several outlets across the UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Oman, and Yemen. On March 10, 2013, LuLu Hypermarket was opened in Kochi, India at LuLu Mall which is the largest shopping mall in India. LuLu group also plans to invest Rs 1,000 crore to set up an international convention centre, a five-star hotel and a mall in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. They've also started construction of Lulu mall in Trivandrum, which on completion will be the second biggest mall in India after the one in Kochi.
As of April 2019, there are 166 LuLu Hypermarkets in the GCC countries, one in India at Kochi, Kerala and one each in Malaysia and Indonesia.Lulu group is undergoing vast expansion plans in retail, food processing and logistics sector.Lulu group is investing in Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Lucknow, Calicut and Trivandrum.
In April 2013, LuLu Group launched its United Kingdom operations in Birmingham with the inauguration of a logistics and packaging facility under the name, Y International. The 20,000 sq ft facility procures and exports food, non-food, chilled and frozen products of British origin to LuLu Hypermarkets spread across the Gulf countries. Date coding and labeling for different countries, translation of labels, Halal and other relevant certifications are also carried out here. About 60 British nationals are employed at the facility which hopes to create 200 jobs soon. In May 2014, following the visit of Prime Minister Najib Razak to United Arab Emirates, a memorandum of understanding between Lulu Hypermarket and the Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA) was signed for the establishment of ten Lulu Hypermarkets in Malaysia.
|Country||First store||Number of stores|
|United Arab Emirates||2000||Numerous stores across 7 emirates.|
LuLu co-branded credit cards
LuLu Hypermarket has partnered with banks in the Middle East to create co-branded cards that help loyal customers gain special privileges and rewards every time they shop. The ADCB LuLu Credit Card in association with the Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank (ADCB) helps users gain points on every AED 1 spent at any Lulu outlet in the UAE.
The LuLu Doha Bank Shopping Credit Card in association with Doha Bank gives cardholders a 5% rebate on every purchase made from a LuLu outlet in Qatar. Shopping points can also be accumulated and redeemed on purchases.
- "Middle East Retailer Yusuff Ali Emerges As Billionaire". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "YUSUFFALI M.A."
- "LuLu Hypermarket | Supermarkets | Department Stores". india.luluhypermarket.com. Retrieved 2015-11-18.
- "Lulu named fastest growing retailer". Arab News. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- Ritz Magazine
- The National
- Time of India
- The National
- "India's largest mall in Kochi: Lulu Mall". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "India's largest shopping mall in Kochi, Kerala". Yahoo News India. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "India's 10 biggest malls". rediff.com. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "LuLu to build India's second biggest mall for $300m in Kerala". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- "Lulu to open 100th outlet in RAK". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 2012-04-22.
- "LuLu opens logistics centre in Birmingham". Trade Arabia. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Sarah Diaa (19 May 2014). "Lulu Hypermarket to open 10 outlets in Malaysia". Gulf News. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "LuLu Group to open 10 Malaysia outlets". Gulf Daily News. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Bahrain: First LuLu hypermarket in Manama inaugurated
- Business - First Lulu Hypermarket Opens in Saudi Arabia
- Lulu hypermarkets opens first store in Egypt - UAE - ArabianBusiness.com
- Lulu opens the biggest mall in India at Kerala
- "Lulu opens its first departmental things to the very under below of the rajeev stores in champakkara with ments cutoof ad fz rpm cut in Indonesia". www.tradearabia.com. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Manila Standard
- "Lulu Co Brand Card". ADCB.
- "It's time to CELEBRATE Shopping". Doha Bank. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "How Adeeb Ahamed of the LuLu Group is foraying further with food, toys and fashion". The Economic Times. 20 August 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2018.