||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|5th Secretary of Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission|
|General Secretary||Jiang Zemin
|Preceded by||Ren Jianxin|
|Succeeded by||Zhou Yongkang|
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
Luo Gan (simplified Chinese: 罗干; traditional Chinese: 羅干; born July 1935) is a retired Chinese politician. Between 2002 and 2007, Luo was one of China's top leaders, serving as a member of the nine-man Politburo Standing Committee, and as the Secretary of Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission (Zhengfawei), which became one of the most powerful political offices of the land during Luo's term. In his Zhengfawei role, Luo held oversight for many law-enforcement institutions. Luo retired from politics in 2007.
Luo Gan studied engineering at the Beijing Steel and Iron Institute. Luo joined the Communist Party of China in 1960.
Afterwards, he moved to East Germany and spent eight years as a student at Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg as well as working in steel plants. Upon returning to China, Luo continued to work in the steel industry and became party chief of the central Henan Province in the 1980s.
Luo was appointed a state councillor in 1993 (served until 2003), and became a member of the Politburo in 1998. Serving as the security chief, he implemented the "strike hard" anti-crime campaign, which blamed to have led to increased executions, and is said to have personally directed the suppression of illegal organisations and protests such as that at the Pubugou Dam protest in 2004.
Luo was instrumental in the persecution of Falun Gong. Courts in Spain and Argentina indicted Luo and other officials on the charge of torture and genocide and asked for their arrest in late 2009. Ethan Gutmann interviewed over 100 witnesses and estimated that 65,000 Falun Gong practitioners were killed for their organs from 2000 to 2008.
As the oldest member of the Politburo Standing Committee, he retired after the CPC's 17th Party Congress in the fall of 2007.
- Profile of Luo Gan, Xinhua.
- La Audiencia pide interrogar al ex presidente chino Jiang por genocidio, 14 November 2009
- Luis Andres Henao (22 December 2009) "Argentine judge asks China arrests over Falun Gong", Reuters
- Jay Nordlinger (25 August 2014) "Face The Slaughter: The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting, and China’s Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem, by Ethan Gutmann", National Review
- Ethan Gutmann (August 2014) The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting and China’s Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem "Average number of Falun Gong in Laogai System at any given time" Low estimate 450,000, High estimate 1,000,000 p 320. "Best estimate of Falun Gong harvested 2000 to 2008" 65,000 p 322. amazon.com
||Minister of Labor of the People's Republic of China
|Party political offices|
|Secretary of CPC Central Political and Legislative Committee
1998 – 2007
|Order of precedence|
|9th Rank of the Communist Party of China
16th Politburo Standing Committee