|Birth name||Uzoechi Osisioma Emenike|
|Also known as||MNEK|
9 November 1994 |
Lewisham, London, England
|Origin||Bellingham, London, England|
Uzoechi Osisioma "Uzo" Emenike (born 9 November 1994), professionally known as MNEK, is an English singer, songwriter and record producer. In 2016, he received the ASCAP Vanguard Award for his contribution to songwriting. His writing and production credits include Beyoncé, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Dua Lipa, Diplo, Zara Larsson, MØ, Lianne La Havas, Rudimental, Naughty Boy, Julia Michaels, Little Mix, JoJo, Gorgon City, Clean Bandit, Chris Malinchak, Bondax, Jax Jones, Oliver Heldens, Karen Harding, Sub Focus, Duke Dumont, Bastille, A*M*E and Stormzy. He has also worked on BTS's album Love Yourself: Tear.
In February 2012, he featured on Rudimental's single "Spoons" with Syron. The song features on their debut studio album Home (2013). In December 2013, he was one of 15 artists to make BBC's Sound of 2014 long list.
2014–2015: Small Talk
In January 2014, he featured on Gorgon City's single "Ready for Your Love". The song peaked to number 4 on the UK Singles Chart. On 20 April 2014, he premiered "Every Little Word" on 1Xtra, the "buzz" single from his debut studio album. On 9 May 2014, the remix EP, featuring Joe Goddard and Fred V & Grafix among others was released. Emenike has said we can expect to hear collaborations with Moko, Snakehips and Jimmy Napes on the record. The lead single "Wrote a Song About You" premiered on Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show on 13 June 2014. In June 2014, Oliver Heldens' track "Gecko (Overdrive)", which MNEK wrote, debuted at number one on both the UK Dance Chart and the UK Singles Chart. In 2014, he also worked with Madonna on her album, Rebel Heart, and produced the song "Feels So Good" by Kylie Minogue, from her album Kiss Me Once. On 22 July 2014, MNEK released the promotional single "In Your Clouds" as part of an iTunes Ones to Watch campaign. The song will feature on his debut studio album. His debut extended play (EP) Small Talk was released on 20 March 2015. In March 2015, JoJo announced that she worked with MNEK on her new studio album.
In September 2015, MNEK released "Never Forget You" with Swedish singer Zara Larsson. The single premiered as Annie Mac's Hottest Record on BBC Radio 1 and to date has been certified Platinum in the UK, 3× Platinum in Sweden, 2× Platinum in Australia and Denmark and Platinum in Norway. In the US, "Never Forget You" has been certified Platinum, reaching the number one spot on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs chart for three consecutive weeks and the top 10 of the national airplay chart.
2016–present: Songwriting breakthrough and debut album
After the success of his Zara Larsson collaboration, he began working with other artists as a songwriter, beginning with his contribution to Beyoncé's 2016 song "Hold Up". He also went on to form songwriting partnerships with artists including Becky Hill, Shift K3Y, Ryan Ashley, A*M*E, Jax Jones, Tom Aspaul and Brayton Bowman.
In 2016, he released his first solo single since his debut extended play, entitled "At Night (I Think About You)". Shortly after, he also released a cover of the renowned Queen single "Don't Stop Me Now". "At Night (I Think About You)" peaked at number 87 on the UK Singles Chart. After releasing the song, he stated that he was recording and producing his debut album.
In February 2018, he teased the single "Tongue", which was revealed to be the lead single from his debut album. He stated in an interview with Annie Mac that his album is finished, that he is currently mixing the album with mixing engineer Phil Tan and that it is expected to be released within the year.
As lead artist
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Ceritifications||Album|
|"Every Little Word"||2014||184||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Small Talk|
|"Wrote a Song About You"||66||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Never Forget You"
(with Zara Larsson)
|"At Night (I Think About You)"||2016||87||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—[A]||Non-album singles|
|"Don't Stop Me Now"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
(with Riton featuring House Gospel Choir)
(featuring Hailee Steinfeld)
|"—" denotes a song that did not chart or was not released.|
As featured artist
|"Ready for Your Love"
(Gorgon City featuring MNEK)
(Rudimental featuring MNEK)
|2016||We the Generation|
(Jax Jones featuring MNEK)
(with Various Artists)
|"Freak Like Me"
(Far East Movement featuring MNEK)
(The Knocks featuring MNEK)
|"Not for the Radio"
(Tinie Tempah featuring MNEK)
|"Blinded by Your Grace, Pt. 2"
(Stormzy featuring MNEK)
|Gang Signs & Prayer|
Songwriting and production credits
- "Grammy Nominated UK Producer & Songwriter MNEK Releases Debut EP 'Small Talk' Today". Top40-Charts.
- "Jess Glynne and MNEK to receive ASCAP Vanguard Award". Musi Week.
- "BBC Music - BBC Sound Of, 2014 - MNEK". BBC.
- "Yinka & Friends: MNEK". Rinse FM on YouTube. 10 June 2014.
- "MNEK - Timeline photos". Facebook. 22 July 2014.
- "MNEK & ZARA LARSSON - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company".
- "Zara Larsson - Chart history - Billboard".
- "MNEK Releases Sexy Single 'Tongue' From His Upcoming Debut Album". Billboard.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Play MNEK's "Tongue" and tell someone special that you love them". Thefader.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "MNEK's honest album". Femalefirst.co.uk. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- "Discography MNEK". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography MNEK". Danish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography MNEK". Finnish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discographie MNEK". German Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discografie MNEK". Dutch Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography MNEK". Norwegian Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography MNEK". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- "Discography MNEK". Swedish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- Peak positions in the United States:
- "British single certifications – MNEK & Zara Larsson". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 14 November 2015. Select singles in the Format field. Enter MNEK & Zara Larsson in the search field and then press Enter.
- Ryan, Gavin (6 February 2016). "ARIA Singles: Zayn 'Pillowtalk' Is No 1". Noise11. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "New Zealand single certifications". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "MNEK Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "#TONGUE - MNEK". Twitter. 26 February 2018. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40 (09 March 2018 - 15 March 2018)". Official Charts Company. 9 March 2018. Retrieved 11 March 2018.