Malavika Nair (Indian actress)
Not to be confused with the younger actress of the same name
|Years active||2012 – present|
Malavika Nair is an Indian film actress who has appeared in Malayalam, Telugu and Tamil language films as a child. After appearing in minor supporting roles in several Malayalam films in 2012, she played her first lead role in the Malayalam film Black Butterfly (2013). She won critical acclaim for her performances as a blind girl in Cuckoo (2014) and as an adventurer in Yevade Subramanyam (2015).
Malavika Nair was born in Delhi. Her family soon moved to Kerala and Malavika attended the T oc-H Public School in Vyttila, Kochi, before returning to New Delhi, where she continued her studies at DAV school.
While studying, she modelled, appearing in various advertisements as well as the Mohan Sithara-directed music video, "Rithukkal". She subsequently began to receive acting offers and eventually entered the film industry at age 13. In her first few films she had minor supporting or cameo roles; in Ustad Hotel, she made a brief appearance in a song sequence, while in Puthiya Theerangal and Karmayodha she played the daughter of Nedumudi Venu and Mohanlal's characters, respectively. Her first major role was as Reena, a house maid who faces an acid attack, in the Malayalam drama film Black Butterfly (2013), a remake of Vazhakku Enn 18/9.
After watching her performance in Black Butterfly, Balaji Sakthivel, director of its original version, was impressed and recommended aspiring director Raju Murugan to cast her in his romantic drama film Cuckoo (2014). She portrayed an independent blind girl in the film and prior to the shoot, attended a workshop where she interacted with blind people. Pairing alongside Dinesh, Malavika portrayed Sudhanthirakodi and won critical acclaim for her portrayal. Behindwoods noted her as "effectuated excellence", while Sify.com's review stated she was "superb" and that she "lives the role". Her performance was subsequently rewarded with the Vijay Award for Best Debut Actress  as well as the SICA Award for Best Newcomer and the Vikatan Award for Best Actress. Prior to Cuckoo, she had a Malayalam release, Pakida, in which she portrayed a fifteen-year-old girl who is sold to a brothel by her own father.
|2012||Ustad Hotel||Moulavi's daughter
|Karmayodha||Diya||Malayalam||Credited as Malavya|
|Puthiya Theerangal||Minikkutty (Adv. Immanuels Daughter)||Malayalam||Credited as Malavika Sai|
|2018||Mahanati||Alamelu Gemini Ganesan||Telugu||Bilingual film|
|2019||Arasiyalla Idhellam Saadharnamappa||TBA||Tamil||Delayed|
- Call of the Cuckoo. The Hindu (15 March 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Shades of youth – Thrissur. The Hindu (16 November 2012). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Etcetera: Challenging role. The Hindu (25 January 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Tests ahead – Hyderabad. The Hindu (17 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- The new kid on the block | Deccan Chronicle. Archives.deccanchronicle.com (13 August 2013). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- No glitz, no gimmicks – KERALA. The Hindu (17 February 2013). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- I am not comfortable with glamour roles: Malavika Nair – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (21 April 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Cuckoo (aka) Cuckoo review. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2015.
- Review : Cuckoo. Sify.com. Retrieved on 9 September 2015.
- 9th Vijay Awards 2015: Complete Winners' List & Photos Archived 17 May 2017 at the Wayback Machine. Ibtimes.co.in (25 April 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Malavika Nair | Yevade Subramanyam | Nag Ashwin | Nani | Vikatan Best Actress. CineGoer.net (30 January 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Vikatan Awards 2014: Dhanush, Dulquer Salmaan, 'Sathuranga Vettai' Honoured [WINNERS LIST] Archived 17 May 2017 at the Wayback Machine. Ibtimes.co.in (9 January 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- Yevade Subramanyam Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (21 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-09.
- baby malavika nair