Maneesh Sharma is an Indian film director, screenwriter and producer. He made his debut with the sleeper hit Band Baaja Baaraat (2010) which won him the Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director. He garnered more success with the 2013 comedy-drama Shuddh Desi Romance and the 2016 thriller Fan. He also produced the 2015 drama Dum Laga Ke Haisha which won him the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi.
Early life and education
Born and raised in Delhi, where he lived in various parts of the city, including Pitam Pura, Maneesh did his schooling at Delhi Public School, R K Puram. Then he received a degree in English literature from Hans Raj College, Delhi University. At college, he was involved in the theatre society and shot his debut film in 2010 there. After his graduation he moved to California to study filmmaking at CalArts. Before moving to Mumbai, he was also involved in theatre in Delhi and was a dancer in a local musical troupe.
Two months after his return from the US, he got a break and started his Bollywood career as an associate director and an assistant director on a number of Yash Raj Films productions such as Fanaa, Aaja Nachle and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, before making his feature directing debut with Band Baaja Baaraat (English title: Bands Horns and Revelry), based on a story written by himself, which was released on 10 December 2010. The film starred newcomer Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma in the lead roles, and was produced by Aditya Chopra under the Yash Raj Films banner. Sharma's first outing as a director garnered him India's prestigious Filmfare Award in the Best Debut Director category.
His next film, Ladies vs Ricky Bahl, was produced by Aditya Chopra and released on 9 December 2011. The critically acclaimed film starred Ranveer Singh and Anushka Sharma, who were also in Sharma's first film. Sharma's third film, Shuddh Desi Romance (English title: A Purely Desi Romance), released on 6 September 2013, and starred Sushant Singh Rajput, Parineeti Chopra, and newcomer Vaani Kapoor in the lead roles. The film was screened in the Gala Presentation section of the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
Maneesh Sharma's fourth film is Dum Laga Ke Haisha under the YRF Banner. Yash Raj Films has always had either Yash Chopra or Aditya Chopra produce movies under the banner, but Sharma is first independent producer. The film is directed by Sharat Katariya, and stars Ayushmann Khurrana. His next directorial venture is movie Fan, with lead star Shah Rukh Khan. Sharma's second production is Akshay Roy's debut film Meri Pyaari Bindu starring Parineeti Chopra and Ayushmann Khurrana.
|Year||Title||Director||Assistant Director||Producer||Story Writer|
|2010||Band Baaja Baaraat||Yes||Yes|
|2011||Ladies vs Ricky Bahl||Yes|
|2013||Shuddh Desi Romance||Yes|
|2015||Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Yes|
|2017||Meri Pyaari Bindu||Yes||Yes|
- National Film Awards
- Filmfare Award
- "I can make 15 films on Delhi: Maneesh". The Times of India. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- The campus crew in Bollywood The Times of India, 10 December 2010
- Maneesh Sharma : The wedding planner Filmfare, 16 February 2011.
- "YRF launches new face with Anushka Sharma". NDTV Movies. 4 February 2010.
- "These wedding planners know their binness". Indian Express. 17 December 2010.
- "Yash Raj Films - Movies". Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Bring out the Band". Indian Express. 15 February 2011.
- "Priyanka's cousin to romance Ranveer!". The Times of India. 16 February 2011.
- "56th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011". Daily Times. 31 January 2011.
- Nominations for 56th Filmfare Awards 2010 Archived 17 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Bollywood Hungama.