May 2015 – May 2019
|Preceded by||Uche Chukwumerije|
|Succeeded by||Orji Uzor Kalu|
Port Harcourt, Rivers State
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (PDP)|
|Alma mater||Rivers State University of Science and Technology Port Harcourt|
Senator Mao Arukwe Ohuabunwa (born 24 May) is a Nigerian politician, businessman and currently a serving Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District in the 8th National Assembly having served in the 4th and 5th National Assembly as Member representing Arochukwu/Ohafia constituency of Abia State under the People's Democratic Party between 1999 and 2007.
Early life and education
Mao Arukwe Ohuabunwa was born in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on 24 May 1957 to parents who were business people at Atani a town in Arochukwu local government area of Abia State. He attended Orevo State School where he completed his primary education and Enitona High School, Borokiri where he completed his senior school education. He went on to obtain an HND and B.Tech in Applied Biology and Microbiology respectively from Rivers State University of Science and Technology. He also went on to attend Enugu State University of Science and Technology where he obtained his PGD and M.Sc certificates in Public Administration and Human Resources Management respectively.
In 1998, having made a huge success in his business over the years he then ventured into politics, Senator Mao ran for a seat in the Nigerian Federal House of Representatives under the umbrella of the United Nigeria Congress Party and won, before the process was truncated.
He became the first person to represent both Arochukwu/Ohafia constituency when he yet again contested and won in the 1999 elections this time under the umbrella of the People's Democratic Party and was subsequently elected the Deputy Leader of the House of Representatives. He went on to contest for a seat to represent Abia North in the Nigeria Senate in the 2007 general elections under the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and lost, but undeterred he went ahead and contested in the 2015 general election which he won and also won March 6, 2016 re-run after the Appeal Court annulled his earlier victory.
Mao is married to Lady Barr. Nimi Faith Ohuabunwa with whom they have children. He is also the founder of Mao Ohuabunwa Foundation.
- "Biography of Mao Ohuabunwa; Senator; Politician; Microbiologist; Abia State Celebrity". Nigerian Biography. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Mao Ohuabunwa". Retrieved 4 July 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "MEET THE ABIA 2015 DREAM TEAM". Archived from the original on 1 April 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Jostle for House leadership heightens intrigues and subterfuge". BiafraNigeriaWorld. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Abia North Re-run: INEC declares PDP's Ohuabunwa as winner". Vanguard Newspaper. 6 March 2016. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Ogunmade, Omololu (6 March 2016). "Abia North Rerun: Ekweremadu Congratulates Ohuabunwa". ThisDay Newspaper. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- adekunle (2019-02-24). "Orji Kalu wins Abia North seat, Onyejiocha wins Reps". Vanguard News Nigeria. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
|This article about an Abia State politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|