Kolaja in February 2019
|Vice-President of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
3 July 2019
|Member of the European Parliament for the Czech Republic|
|Assumed office |
2 July 2019
|Fourth vice chairman of the|
Czech Pirate Party
26 August 2012 – 8 May 2013
|Co-chairman of the PPI|
13 March 2011 – 30 November 2011
|Born||29 June 1980|
Moravská Třebová, Czech Republic
|Political party|| Czech Republic:|
Czech Pirate Party
European Pirate Party
EU Parliament group:
|Alma mater||Masaryk University|
Marcel Kolaja (born 29 June 1980 in Moravská Třebová) is a Czech software engineer, activist and a Czech Pirate Party politician who serves as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and a Vice-President of the European Parliament since the 2019 election. He is a member of the Greens–European Free Alliance parliamentary group.
His political agenda focuses on technological competitiveness of the EU on the world market, corporate lobbying in the EU and corporate tax avoidance, digital rights, censorship, environmental protection and consumer protection. As an activist he has also promoted free software and copyright reform.
Activism and Pirate Party beginnings
Kolaja worked as an activist against the introduction of software patent legislation in the European Union (EU) from 2003 and joined the Czech Pirate Party in 2010. Kolaja acted as a co-chairman of the Pirate Parties International (PPI) from March to November 2011.
Kolaja was the second candidate of the Czech Pirate Party in the 2014 European Parliament election but was not elected. Kolaja has worked as a technical product manager in Red Hat Czech, a research and development arm of Red Hat, Inc..
2019 European election
Kolaja was the party's leading candidate for the 2019 European Parliament election in the Czech Republic and was elected MEP along with Markéta Gregorová and Mikuláš Peksa. His political agenda focuses on digital rights and prevention of increasing Internet censorship; environmental protection such as fossil fuel phase-out and minimizing waste pollution; consumer protection, addressing technological competitiveness of the EU on the world market and limiting corporate lobbying in the EU. Among his priorities is also addressing tax avoidance by multinational corporations that offshore profits via tax havens.
In June, Kolaja joined the Greens–European Free Alliance political group of the European Parliament along with three other European Pirate Party MEPs. On 3 July, he was elected twelfth Vice-President of the European Parliament.
- Czech Pirate Party#European Union and international relations
- Digital Single Market
- Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market
- Zdeňka Trachtová. Volební lídr Pirátů: V europarlamentu chci bojovat proti korporátním tlakům a cenzuře internetu (in Czech). Czech Radio. 19 January 2019.
- Piráti zvolili čelo kandidátky pro volby do Evropského parlamentu (in Czech). Deník. 9.2.2014.
- Piráty po dvou letech znovu vede Ivan Bartoš, zbrojí na krajské volby (in Czech). Mladá fronta DNES. 2 April 2016.
- Pirát, který v Česku žádné spojence nevidí. Kolaja je lídrem do voleb (in Czech). Deník. 11.2.2019.
- Piráti chtějí vyhrát eurovolby, příští parlamentní volby a sestavit vládu (in Czech). Mladá fronta DNES. 19 January 2019.
- Volby do Evropského parlamentu konané na území České republiky ve dnech 24.05. – 25.05.2019 (in Czech). volby.cz
- Rozhovory s lídry kandidátek do evropských voleb: Marcel Kolaja (Piráti) (in Czech). 7. 5. 2019. ČT24.
- Piráty povede do eurovoleb softwarový specialista Marcel Kolaja. (in Czech). e15.cz. 19 January 2019.
- The new European Parliament Vice-Presidents. europarl.europa.eu. Press release.