Bello at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival
|Born||Maria Elena Bello
April 18, 1977
Norristown, Pennsylvania, United States
|Occupation||Actress, producer, writer|
Maria Elena Bello (born April 18, 1977) is an American actress and writer. She has appeared in the films Permanent Midnight (1998), Payback (1999), Coyote Ugly (2000), The Cooler (2003), A History of Violence (2005), Thank You for Smoking (2006), The Jane Austen Book Club (2007) and Prisoners (2013). Bello is known for her role as Dr. Anna Del Amico on the NBC medical drama ER (1997–1998). She starred as Lucy Robbins on the Fox series Touch alongside Kiefer Sutherland in 2013 and now stars as Michelle McBride on the Amazon original series Goliath.
Bello was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania, to Kathy, a school nurse and teacher, and Joe Bello, a contractor. Her father is Italian American, with roots in Montella, Italy, and her mother is Polish American. She grew up in a working-class Roman Catholic family and graduated from Archbishop John Carroll High School in Radnor, Pennsylvania. She majored in political science at Villanova University. Following graduation, Bello honed her acting skills in a number of New York theater productions.
Her breakthrough came when she was cast as Mrs. Smith in the TV series spy show Mr. & Mrs. Smith, though the show was canceled after eight weeks. She then appeared in the final three episodes of the third season of ER as pediatrician Dr. Anna Del Amico and was a regular cast member during the medical drama's fourth season.
Bello moved on to films, landing a role in Coyote Ugly (2000). She was nominated for the Golden Globe award twice: for Best Supporting Actress in The Cooler (2003) and for Best Actress in A History of Violence (2005). She starred in The Jane Austen Book Club (2007) as Jocelyn.
In 2008, Bello starred in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor as Evelyn O'Connell. In December 2008, Bello began developing a drama for HBO. Besides starring in the new series, Bello will also serve as an executive producer. She starred in the 2009 drama film The Yellow Handkerchief, which was released in theatres on February 26, 2010 by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
In the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, Bello founded WE ADVANCE with Aleda Frishman, Alison Thompson and Barbara Guillaume. It is an organization that encourages Haitian women to collaborate in making healthcare a priority, and putting an end to domestic violence within their communities. Currently the organisation is based in a health clinic and a community outreach center in Cité Soleil. Bello is also a board member of Darfur Women Action Group (DWAG), a non-profit[clarification needed] NGO that undertakes activism on behalf of genocide victims of the Darfur Conflict.
Bello has a son with former boyfriend Dan McDermott.
She published a book, Whatever...Love Is Love: Questioning the Labels We Give Ourselves (Dey Street Books, April 28, 2015).
|2000||Coyote Ugly||Lil Lovell|
|2002||Auto Focus||Patricia Olson / Patricia Crane / Sigrid Valdis|
|2003||Cooler, TheThe Cooler||Natalie Belisario|
|2004||Silver City||Nora Allardyce|
|2004||Secret Window||Amy Rainey|
|2005||Assault on Precinct 13||Alex Sabian|
|2005||History of Violence, AA History of Violence||Edie Stall|
|2005||Dark, TheThe Dark||Adélle|
|2006||Thank You for Smoking||Polly Bailey|
|2006||Sisters, TheThe Sisters||Marcia Prior Glass|
|2006||World Trade Center||Donna McLoughlin|
|2007||Jane Austen Book Club, TheThe Jane Austen Book Club||Jocelyn|
|2007||Butterfly on a Wheel||Abby Randall||aka Shattered|
|2008||Downloading Nancy||Nancy Stockwell|
|2008||Yellow Handkerchief, TheThe Yellow Handkerchief||May|
|2008||The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor||Evelyn O'Connell||Replacing Rachel Weisz|
|2009||Private Lives of Pippa Lee, TheThe Private Lives of Pippa Lee||Suky|
|2010||Company Men, TheThe Company Men||Sally Wilcox|
|2010||Grown Ups||Sally Lamonsoff|
|2011||Beautiful Boy||Kate Carroll|
|2013||Grown Ups 2||Sally Lamonsoff|
|2014||Big Driver||Tess Thorne|
|2015||McFarland, USA||Cheryl White|
|2015||Demonic||Dr. Elizabeth Klein|
|2016||The 5th Wave||Sergeant Reznik|
|2016||The Late Bloomer||Brenda Newmans|
|2016||Max Steel||Molly McGrath|
|2016||Wait Till Helen Comes (A.K.A. Little Girl's Secret)||Jean|
|2016||In Search of Fellini||Claire||completed|
|1996||Mr. & Mrs. Smith||Mrs. Smith||13 episodes|
|1997–1998||ER||Dr. Anna Del Amico||Season 4|
|2010||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Vivian Arliss||2 episodes|
|2011–2012||Prime Suspect||Jane Timoney||13 episodes|
|2012–2013||Touch||Lucy Robbins||13 episodes|
|2016||Goliath||Michelle McBride||8 episodes|
|2017||The Walking Dead||Unknown||Season 8 |
Awards and nominations
- "Maria Bello Biography (1967-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Supporting, Encouraging and Challenging the WWME Community". eMatrimony. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "All'attrice Maria Bello l'Ischia Humanitarian Award / Actress Maria Bello: Ischia Humanitarian Award". Napoli.repubblica.it. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
Il nonni paterni di Maria Bello, 45 anni, erano originari di Montella, in provincia di Avellino / The paternal grandparents of Maria Bello, 45, were from Montella, Avellino(in Italian)
- "Maria Bello, 'Getting Better and Better'". Washingtonpost.com. August 11, 2006. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- "Maria Bello". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Maria Bello". AskMen.com. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Maria Bello", NYTimes.com
- "Maria Bello Interview". futuremovies.co.uk. April 1, 2001.
- Schneider, Michael (December 21, 2008). "HBO seals deal with Maria Bello". Variety. Retrieved December 30, 2008.
- "Exclusive: Maria Bello Signs On to SVU". TVGuide.com.
- "CQ". ClareMunn.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
... board members including founding board member Maria Bello...
- International Demonic Trailer Begins Haunting
- Bello, Maria. "How to ADVANCE Our Money in Haiti". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (December 2, 2013). "Maria Bello Shares 'Modern Family' Picture With Girlfriend Clare Munn and Ex-Boyfriend Dan McDermott After Coming Out as Gay". Us Weekly. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Bello, Maria (November 29, 2013). "Coming Out as a Modern Family - NYTimes.com". The New York Times. New York: NYTC. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved December 2, 2013.
- Guglielmi, Jodi (March 23, 2016). "Maria Bello Dating Younger Man After Breaking Up with Girlfriend Clare Munn". People Magazine. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maria Bello.|