Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman|
|Genre||Science fiction/Cop Drama|
|Written by||Hirohisa Soda|
|Illustrated by||Noboru Akashi|
|Published by||Akita Shoten|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Champion|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kōichi Mashimo|
|Written by||Haruya Yamazaki
|Music by||Shinsuke Kazato|
|Original network||Fuji TV, Tokyo Metropolitan Television|
|Original run||January 9, 1983 – December 24, 1983|
Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman (未来警察ウラシマン?, lit. Future Policeman Urashiman) is a Japanese science fiction manga series written by Hirohisa Soda, illustrated by Noboru Akashi and published by Akita Shoten. It was adapted into a 1983 anime television series produced by Tatsunoko Productions and ran from January 9 to December 24, 1983 on Fuji TV. It was later released in Germany and Sweden as Rock 'n Cop, in Finland as Rocki-kyttä, in France as Super Durand (roughly, "Super Jones" or "Super Smith"), and in Italy as Ryo, un ragazzo contro un impero ("Ryo, a boy against an empire").
Saban Entertainment dubbed it under the title Rock 'n Cop, but this dub was never released in the United States. The Saban version was however used as the base for the German, Swedish and Finnish versions. A film version was in the works, but was also abandoned. The anime is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks. The first 26 episodes are available on Hulu for US viewers.
The story tells of a young man and his cat who are being pursued by the police during a particularly stormy night in a city in 1983. The young man suddenly drives his car right into the middle of a cyclone and is caught in a space/time anomaly. As a result, they end up in the year 2050.
Suffering from complete memory loss, he soon finds that he is being pursued by the army-like forces of Necrime, a top criminal organization led by Ludovich. Taking the name Ryū Urashima, the young man joins the police force and fights back against Necrime. He is joined in the fight by Sophia, a happy-go-lucky ex-nun, and Claude, a fellow officer. The unit is run by Inspector Gondo Toru. He is also joined by his cat, Myaa, whom made the time journey with him and is one of the few links to his past that he remembers.
Police Division 38 (Magna Police Force)
- Urashiman Ryū (ウラシマ・リュウ?)/Rico Urashiman: Voiced by: Michitaka Kobayashi
- Claude Mizusawa (クロード（蔵人）・水沢?): Voiced by: Akira Kamiya
- Sophia Nina Rose (ソフィア・ニーナ・ローズ?): Voiced by: Keiko Yokozawa
- Myaa (ミャー?): Voiced by: Masako Katsuki
- Inspector Gondo Toru (権藤 透?): Voiced by: Tōru Ōhira
- Adolf von Ludovich (アドルフ・フォン・ルードヴィッヒ?): Voiced by: Kaneto Shiozawa
- Marlene Saberiewa (ミレーヌ・サベリーエワ?): Voiced by: Haruko Kitahama
- Jitanda Funda (ジタンダ・フンダ?)/Yetander: Voiced by: Mayumi Tanaka
- Stinger Wolf (スティンガー・ウルフ?): Voiced by: Tesshō Genda
- Stinger Cat (スティンガー・キャット?): Voiced by: Yuri Nashiwa
- Stinger Hawk (スティンガー・ホーク?): Voiced by: Shinya Ōtaki
- Stinger Shark (スティンガー・シャーク?): Voiced by: Issei Futamata
- Stinger Bear (スティンガー・ベアー?): Voiced by: Yū Shimaka
- Führer (総統フューラー?): Voiced by: Eiji Maruyama, Kazuyuki Sogabe (young)
- Josephine Cattsburg (ジョセフィーヌ・キャッツバーグ?): Voiced by: Yoshiko Sakakibara
Future Police Urashiman was a big hit for Tatsunoko Studios when it was released, which it desperately needed, since the studio was in a slump. This series pulled the studio out from bankruptcy and was a big hit at the time in Japan.
- "作品データベース". Tatsunoko.co.jp. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "Future Police Urashiman". Tatsunokousa.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- "Classic | Journey | Reo | Sugar Daddies | Beatles | Alice Wonderland | Vertige at". Anime-classic.net. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Tatsunoko Pro". Tatsunoko.co.jp. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman at Tokyo MX (Japanese)
- Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
|This anime television series–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|