Mitsubishi Fuso Canter
|Mitsubishi Fuso Canter|
|Manufacturer||Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation|
|Also called||Mitsubishi Fuso Colt Diesel|
Mitsubishi Fuso FE
Hyundai Mighty (Canter 5th Generation)
Nissan NT450 Atlas (Canter 8th Generation)
UD Kazet (Canter 8th Generation)
Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter Mignon (wide cab body variant)
|Assembly||Cairo, Egypt (Ghabbour Group)|
Indonesia: Pulo Gadung, Jakarta
Cainta, Rizal, Philippines (1964-2015)
Sta. Rosa, Laguna, Philippines (Jan 2015-Present)
Barcelona, Anzoategui, Venezuela
Pekan, Malaysia (HICOM),
Arifiye, Sakarya, Turkey (Temsa)
Naberezhnye Chelny, Russia (Fuso KAMAZ Trucks Rus)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||Truck (standard cab, crew cab)|
|Engine||Mitsubishi 117 HP (1983-1995), Mitsubishi 135 HP (1995-2004), Mitsubishi 175 HP (2004-)|
|Transmission||Mitsubishi (manual), Aisin (automatic)|
The Mitsubishi Fuso Canter (kana: 三菱ふそう・キャンター) is a line of light-duty commercial vehicle manufactured by Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation since 1963. The range is currently marketed in Japan, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Iran and a number of other Asian countries, as well as in the United States. The same range has been marketed by Mitsubishi Fuso Truck of America in North America since 1985, though it was called the FE model rather than the Canter until the 2012 model year. The Canter is named after the English word describing the gait of a horse, emphasising the 'thoroughbred' nature of Mitsubishi trucks.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Fourth generation
- 3 Fifth generation onwards
- 4 Eighth generation
- 5 Models
- 6 Model codes explained
- 7 How to Read the Model Code to Determine the Specifications
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Canter nameplate was first introduced in March 1963 for the existing T20 range of light-duty trucks. The preceding series originated with the "T710" of 1960. These early models were sold almost entirely in Asia. The Asia-Pacific was the main market for the Canter until the early 1970s. Later the series began seeing export or local manufacture in markets including Europe, the Middle-East and North America. In many markets the Canter was very expensive and was replaced by the Mitsubishi Fuso Truck when that model became available for worldwide market in the early 1980s.
Australia was another important market for the Canter - to the extent that it was manufactured there from the 1970s using many local components. Most models of the truck are distinguishable by a front 'Canter' badge, but the common Mitsubishi badge is usually used on the rear. In several markets, including the United Kingdom, the Canter is sold as the "Fuso Canter" rather than as a Mitsubishi.
European sales began in the Benelux countries in the late 1970s. About 200 of the narrow cabined fourth generation Canters had been sold there by 1980, when local assembly of a wide-bodied Canter in Belgium by importer Moorkens N V was begun on a trial basis. The Canter ended up being built in Tramagal, Portugal instead, since 1980. Tramagal is located 150 km north of Lisbon. The factory achieves a production capacity of 15,000 units per year and shift with approximately 430 employees (October 2004). More than 110,000 vehicles have been produced here to date. High production quality, certified with ISO-standards, combined with a rigorous test program and extensive final inspection and quality checks lead to a tough and reliable truck.
This model has also been built in Indonesia for many years; it is sold as the "Colt Diesel" there.
Fifth generation onwards
In late 2005, a new Canter was presented, with safety being the main issue. Also a new hybrid truck, the Canter Eco Hybrid was presented commercially.
In the United Kingdom the Sales and Marketing headquarters of FUSO is located in Milton Keynes at the headquarters of Daimler, sitting within the Commercial Vehicle division alongside Mercedes-Benz. At a local level, FUSO Canter is Sold and Supported through the Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicle network.
The European market is supplied exclusively with Canter vehicles from the Mitsubishi Fuso assembly plant in Tramagal (Portugal). Currently engines by Fiat Powertrain Technologies and transmission by ZF Friedrichshafen are installed in Canter vehicles since 2009. To comply with the rules in force in Japan from 2015 stricter emission standards, now, all Canter models use the same four-stroke, water-cooled, turbocharged, intercooled DOHC4 FPT Industrial F1C diesel engine as the Fiat Ducato and Iveco Daily, and are sold in all markets.
In Indonesia, The Mitsubishi Fuso Canter was named as Colt Diesel.
The eighth generation model had a redesign in 2017 having a Duonic 2.0 transmission and Brake Override System. In 2018, a collision avoidance system with pedestrian detection and vehicle stability control were also added.
- FB Canter Guts
- FD Canter Guts 4WD
- FE jones
- FF Tri-axles
- FG 4WD
US & Canada
- Canter FB, FE, FH
- 3.5 ton
- 5.5 ton
- 6.5 ton
- 7.5 ton
Turkey (Euro 5 models)
- TF A35 (3.5 ton, narrow cab)
- TF A35L (3.5 ton, narrow cab, long wheelbase)
- TF B35 (3.5 ton, wide cab)
- TF B75 (7.5 ton, wide cab)
- TF B75L (7.5 ton, wide cab, long wheelbase)
All of models are available with Duonic dual clutch gearbox.
- Canter FB, FE, FH
- 2.0T FE130C1 Super Low
- 2.0T FE150C1 Wide cab
- 2.0T FE150E1 Wide Cab
- 2.5T FG145C1 4x4
- 3.5T FE150E2 Wide cab
- 3.5T FE150W1 Double Cab
- 4.0T FE150G1 Wide Cab
- 4.5T FE150G2 Heavy Duty Wide Frame
All models available with either manual or duonic (dual clutch AMT) transmission, unless stated otherwise.
- 4x2 Range
- 413 City (Narrow) Cab SWB
- 515 City (Narrow) Cab SWB/MWB (Duonic only)
- 515 City (Narrow) Super Low (low roof model)
- 515 Wide Cab SWB/MWB
- 615 Wide Cab MWB/LWB
- 815 Wide Cab MWB/LWB
- 918 Wide Cab MWB/LWB/XLWB/XXLWB
- Eco Hybrid Range
- 815 Eco-Hybrid Wide Cab MWB/LWB (Duonic only)
- Tipper Range
- 515 City (Narrow) Cab Tipper SWB
- 715 Wide Cab Tipper SWB
- Crew Cab Range
- 515 City (Narrow) Crew Cab MWB (Duonic only)
- 815 Wide Crew Cab MWB (Duonic only)
- 918 Wide Crew Cab MWB/LWB/XLWB
- 4x4 Range
- 715 Wide Cab MWB (Manual only)
- 715 Wide Crew Cab MWB (Manual only)
In Indonesia, the locally assembled Mitsubishi Fuso Canter is marketed as Colt Diesel.
- FE71 SUPER CAPACITY
- FE73 SUPER POWER
- FE74 SUPER SPEED
- FE74 SUPER POWER
- FE75 SUPER POWER
- FE84 SUPER CAPACITY AND SUPER POWER
Mayan Foolad is the official distributor of Mitsubishi Fuso in Iran, and has started its activities since 2016. Canter models to be supplied are FEA51, FEB71CL, FEC71GL and FECX1. Units are supplied all from Tramagal factory in Europe. All units are based on European specification, and are tested and homologated based on Iranian environment, fuel and topography and are exclusively designed for the Iranian market. All units are supplied with Euro V standard and DPF filter is included in all models. Delivery to customers started in January 2016, and the Canter is to be assembled in Iran from 2017.
Model codes explained
How to Read the Model Code to Determine the Specifications
Each Mitsubishi Fuso Canter model code has an average of 4-5 alpha-numeric base model code. Each letter and number corresponds to a particular distinguishing feature.
- 1st Digit: "F" stands for Fuso Truck and "B" stands for Bus
- 2nd Digit:
- A = Petrol 2 Wheel Drive
- B = Diesel 2 Wheel Drive
- C = Petrol 4 Wheel Drive
- D = Diesel 4 Wheel Drive
- E = Rear Wheel Drive (4 x 2)
- F = Read Axle Vehicle (6 x 2)
- G = 2 Wheel and 4 Wheel Drive models (this does not mean Guts or Canter Guts)
- 3rd Digit: "Odd Numbers" stands for Standard Body and "Even Numbers" means wide body
- 4th Digit: the 4th digit corresponds to the maximum payload
- 0 to 3 = Maximum Payload of 2 - 3 tons.
- 4 = Maximum Payload of 3.5 tons.
- 5 = Maximum Payload of 4 - 4.7 tons
- 5th Digit: Corresponds to the engine model
- 1 = 4D30
- 2 = 4M51
- 5 = 4D32
- 6 = 4D36
- 7 = 4D33
- 8 = 4D35
- 9 = 4D31(T), 4D34(T), or 4D34T4
- 5th Digit for 1999 models and above: The model code was checked in 1999 from numeric to alphabet.
- B = 4M42
- C = 4D33
- D = 4M50(T)
- E = 4M51(1) or 4M51(2)
- 6th Digit: Corresponds to wheelbase
- B = 2500/2520mm
- C = 2750mm
- E = 3350mm
- F = 3760mm
- G = 3850mm
- 7th Digit: Corresponds to the body specification
- D = Dump Truck
- P = Packer
Thus, the example of "FE305BD" decodes as:
- F = Fuso Truck
- E = Rear Wheel Drive (4 x 2)
- 3 = Standard Body
- 0 = Maximum Capacity of 3-4 Tons
- 5 = 4D32 Engine
- B = 2500/2520mm
- D = Dump
- Sarne, Vernon (2013-05-30). "Mitsubishi PH president wants new model, more units made in Cainta". Top Gear Philippines. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Mitsubishi Motors Philippines inaugurates its Sta. Rosa, Laguna Plant". Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation. 2015-01-29. Archived from the original on 2015-04-04. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Ozeki, Kazuo (2007).
日本のトラック・バス 1918~1972[Japanese Trucks and Buses 1918-1972:] (in Japanese). Tokyo: Miki Press. p. 113. ISBN 978-4-89522-494-9.
- Kennett, Pat, ed. (June 1980). "Truckchat". TRUCK. London, UK: FF Publishing Ltd: 13.
- "Made in Europe for Europe". FUSO Trucks Europe. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Rohrbach, Hans U., ed. (1982), Internationaler Nutzfahrzeug-Katalog (Inufa) 1982 [International Commercial Vehicle Catalog] (in German), 24, Solothurn, Switzerland: Vogt-Schild AG, pp. 104, 107
- "Strategic Cooperation Agreement between DaimlerChrysler Truck Group and Fiat Powertrain Technologies" (PDF). FPT Industrial. June 19, 2007. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Canter / Mitsubishi Fuso".
- "Complete Mitsubishi Canter spec guide by Model Code | Carused.jp". carused.jp. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fuso Canter.|
- Official UK Canter website
- Mitsubishi Canter Dealer East Anglia
- Mitsubishi Fuso Japan (second group is Canter's)
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Worldwide - 1st site, 2nd site
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter USA - FE, FE Crew, FG
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Europe
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Australia
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter New Zealand
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter South Africa
- Information on Canters in the UK
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Russia
- Mitsubishi Fuso Russia Saint-Petersburg
- Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Turkey