More Than a Woman (Bee Gees song)
|"More Than a Woman"|
The Italian single release of the song, backed with "Children of the World"
|Song by the Bee Gees|
|from the album Saturday Night Fever|
|Saturday Night Fever track listing|
"More Than a Woman" is a song by the Bee Gees, written by Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb for the soundtrack to the film Saturday Night Fever. It became a regular feature of the group's live sets from 1997 until Maurice Gibb's death in 2003 and was often coupled with "Night Fever".
Recording and release
The Bee Gees started to record it from February to March 1977 in Le Château, Hérouville in France, continued it in Criteria Studios in Miami in April, and later in September, the song was finished in Cherokee Studios, Los Angeles.
The soundtrack includes two versions — one by the Bee Gees and the other by Tavares. Both versions are featured in the film as well. The song has been recorded and performed by various artists but in different forms. The song wasn't released as a single in the US and the UK but only in some other territories (in Italy it peaked at number 4 in September 1978). Despite of that it has remained a staple on radio and is one of their best known songs. An abridged live version of the song performed by the Bee Gees in 1997 is available on both the DVD and CD versions of One Night Only.
The song has also been included on Bee Gees compilations such as Tales from the Brothers Gibb and Their Greatest Hits: The Record. The very first British pressings of Their Greatest Hits: The Record featured the song with a mastering fault, with the audio noticeably dipping to the right briefly during the first verse. This was corrected after several thousand copies had been distributed.
Credits adapted from the album Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track.
- Barry Gibb – vocals, guitar
- Robin Gibb – vocals
- Maurice Gibb – vocals, bass guitar
- Dennis Bryon – drums
- Blue Weaver – keyboards
- Alan Kendall – guitar
- Joe Lala – percussion
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||31|
|Italy (Hit Parade Italia)||4|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||39|
|"More Than a Woman"|
|Single by Tavares|
|from the album Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track|
|Tavares singles chronology|
"More Than a Woman" was also recorded by Tavares in 1977, and also appeared in Saturday Night Fever and on the soundtrack album. Their version charted at number 32 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 7 on the UK Singles Chart.
- Tavares – vocals
- Bob Bowles – guitar
- Sonny Burke – piano
- Paulinho da Costa – percussion
- James Gadson – drums
- Bob Zimmitti – percussion
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||29|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||34|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot Soul Singles (Billboard)||36|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||199|
|"More Than a Woman"|
|Single by 911|
|from the album There It Is|
|Format||7", 12", CD single, cassette single|
|911 singles chronology|
In 1998, British boy band 911 recorded "More Than a Woman" for their third studio album There It Is. Released as the first single from the album, this version was the highest-charting cover of the song in the UK, debuting and peaking at number 2 on the UK Singles Chart on 18 October 1998. The song was the band's highest-charting single in New Zealand, peaking at number 8 during its second week on the RIANZ chart; it spent seven weeks in the top 20 altogether. The cover also reached number 94 in France, becoming the band's only charting song there.
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||8|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
- "Bee Gees bass player dies at 53". The Morning Journal. 13 January 2003. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Guarisco, Donald A. "More Than a Woman – Song Review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Brennan, Joseph. "Gibb Songs : 1977". Columbia University. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "HitParadeItalia – Top10 del 30 Settembre 1978" (in Italian). Hit Parade Italia. Creative Commons. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track (liner notes). RSO. 1977. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 26.
- "Tavares – Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 5486a." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Tavares – More Than A Woman" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Top 200 Singles of '78". RPM. Vol. 30 no. 14. Library and Archives Canada. 30 December 1978. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Recherche pour: 911" (in French). Retrieved 13 May 2018..
- "Lescharts.com – 911 – More Than a Woman" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Charts.nz – 911 – More Than a Woman". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 May 2018.