Nathan Jurevicius has worked as a freelance illustrator and artist for many international companies and publications. His most acclaimed project to date is Scarygirl; the cute but slightly odd little girl who was abandoned late one night and is later found and brought up by a friendly octopus and guided by a mystic rabbit (Bunniguru). The world of Scarygirl is a vision that is filled with psychedelic colours, dream-like compositions and heartfelt stories that recall fables and folklore from our shared cultural memory. The brand since its creation in 2001 has developed an underground following of fans throughout the globe through its online comic, numerous limited edition vinyl toys, designer products and traveling shows.
In 2004 Oscar winning producer Sophie Byrne of Passion Pictures (best known for its Gorillaz music clips) optioned Scarygirl. The property is now in active script and visual development for an animated feature film. Jurevicius has also completed his first graphic novel based on Scarygirl released by Australia's leading Independent publisher, Allen and Unwin, distributed in North America by Last Gasp and ARX in Brazil. The graphic novel has since garnered various accolades including winning the 2009 Aurealis Award for Best Illustrated Book/Graphic Novel, the 2010 CBCA Notable picture book list and included in International Youth Library's The White Ravens 2010, an annual selection of outstanding books for children and young adults.
In 2009 Jurevicius in conjunction with Passion Pictures Australia released the Scarygirl online game. Players have surpassed 1 million. The game has been awarded IGN's 'Indie Pick of the Week', Desktop Magazine's Create Award, FWA site of the day, a finalist for an AFI, Communication Arts Award of Excellence, shortlisted at SXSW Interactive Festival, made the cover of May 2009's STASH DVD magazine and a FITC 2010 Game award.
Jurevicius is involved in a project entitled 'Peleda'. Production began in mid-2012 for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and was launched in September 2013 His brother Luke of Vishus Productions is co-producer.
Interviews and articles
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Yatzer Magazine
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Vectortuts+
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Desktop Magazine
- Nathan Jurevicius interview VisualBlog
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Create or Die (part 1)
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Create or Die (part 2)
- Nathan Jurevicius interview Neon Monster
- Scarygirl game review Jayisgames
- Scarygirl game review Edge Online
- Scarygirl game review Imagine Games Network
- Scarygirl game review E4 Channel
- Nathan Jurevicius radio interview 3RRR
- Games Radar Scarygirl preview
- IGN Scarygirl console Preview