National Party of Honduras
|President||Reinaldo Antonio Sánchez Rivera|
|Executive Secretary||Juan Diego Zelaya|
|Founded||27 February 1902; 115 years ago|
|Youth wing||Nationalist Youth (Juventud Nacionalista)|
|Political position||Right-wing|
|International affiliation||International Democrat Union,
Centrist Democrat International (observer)
|Regional affiliation||Union of Latin American Parties,
Christian Democrat Organization of America
51 / 128
The National Party of Honduras (PNH; Spanish: Partido Nacional de Honduras) is a political party in Honduras founded on February 27, 1902, by Manuel Bonilla Chirinos. Historically it has been one of the two most influential parties in the country. The party's platform is based on Christian humanist doctrine, and its five main principles are common wealth, dignity of the human person, equality, solidarity and subsidiarity.
The ideology of the party can be traced back to national hero Jose Trinidad Cabañas's principles and thinking. Cabañas believed in a strong sense of patriotism, and that national interest was over any other interest. Moreover, in the late 1800s, actors such as Ponciano Leiva and Luis Bogran made efforts to conform an institution which reflected their ideology.
The Progressive Party, led by Ponciano Leiva, joined forces by a movement led by General Manuel Bonilla. On 27 February 1902, in Tegucigalpa, both parts install the great National Convention, backed by 40,000 signatures from men and women with high democratic vocation, progressive ideology and a strong sense of patriotism. That event was the birth of the National Party of Honduras.
The official flag of the National Party of Honduras is blue with a white star in the middle. Blue represents Honduran skies and seas, while the white star represents pureness of ideals; Unity, fraternity and discipline.
Fraternity, equality and justice are reflected in the official seal. Holding arms represent fraternity among Honduran citizens. The weighting scale represents equality between men and women. The burning torch shines defending those in need. The seal also states the party´s motto: Social Justice with Liberty and Democracy.
- Ricardo Maduro Joest: During his presidency, Maduro was able to negotiate successfully the full condonance of the nation´s external debt. In addition, Maduro was able to implement successful policies in matters of fiscal order and against violence.
- Juan Manuel Gálvez: Galvez promoted modernizing the state. He structured effectively government dependencies through massive construction projects. He was able to conduct a massive road project throughout the country. Moreover, he is created the Honduras Central Bank, which made the Lempira Honduras´s official currency.
- Tiburcio Carías Andino: General Carias has been one of the most polarized presidents in Honduran history. During his administration, he took strict measures in order to guarantee stability and harmony amongst society. He was also able to achieve economic stability and an efficient working relationship with private enterprise. Honduras National Stadium is named after him.
- National Convention: Made up from Municipal, State, Regional and national authorities.
- Permanent Commission: Permanent members of the National Convention
- National Committee: Political Commission, Justice Party, Financial and Budget Administration, Political and Ideological Formation
- State Committee: Conformed by the authorities of each of the 18 departments in Honduras
- Local Committee: Counts with Municipal Representation
"We are a democratic political organization with transforming leaders and a modern ideological agenda, linked with all social sectors in order to generate growth and the well being of all Hondurans."[this quote needs a citation]
"We are a majority political party; we are inclusive and Christian Humanist, with ethic leadership which promotes changes in order to transform the country with democracy, liberty and equal opportunities"[this quote needs a citation]
The National Party has been involved in the last few years on several issues of corruption, During 2015 it was discovered that the National Party was using money from the Honduran Social Security in order to finance the campaign of president Juan Orlando Hernandez, through an elaborate scheme of companies redirecting Social Security funds to the party  after the scheme was discovered the president said the money should be returned by the party.
Former President Porfirio Lobo was accused on March 2017 by the New York's DA office for helping protect drug organizations.
- Elecciones Presidenciales 2013
- "An Anti-Corruption Charade in Honduras". NYTimes.com. The New York Times. 16 February 2016.
- "Los 112 años de Fundación del Partido Nacional de Honduras". LaTribuna.hn. 2 March 2014.
- ""Historia de Nuestro Partido"". PartidoNacional.hn. 6 March 2014.
- "Infraestructura vial y condonación de deuda, principales logros del PN - Diario El Heraldo".