National Scout and Guide Symphony Orchestra
Since it was formed, the orchestra has met yearly, undertaking a week-long course, finishing normally with 2 concerts. The orchestra also embarks on a tour abroad approximately every four/five years, past tours have taken the orchestra to United States, Greece, Germany, The Czech Republic and, in 2004, Estonia. The orchestra has also been found performing in such prestigious venues as Westminster Abbey, St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle and The Royal Albert Hall as well as performances for Royalty.
The orchestra comprises around 70 Scout and Guides between the ages of 13 and 30.
The course is led by an experienced orchestral conductor and supported by a team of professional musicians as section tutors. Rehearsals are interspersed with an active programme of varied sports, crafts, Scouting and Guiding activities.
The orchestra performed at the Scout festival Live07 at The O2 Arena in Greenwich towards the end of 2007. In 2008, it performed at the Edinburgh Festival playing 'The Great Adventure', a symphony commissioned for the Scouting 2007 Centenary.
Rodney Newton was commissioned by The Scout Association to write a symphony to celebrate their centenary. The result was "The Great Adventure", which outlines Baden-Powell's life. This was written, and played, by the NSGSO and the 2nd Rossendale Scout Brass Band. Mr.Newton was then commissioned by Girlguiding UK to write a piece for their centenary in 2010. He wrote a shorter piece, called "Centenary Fantasia" which is a medley of campfire songs.
- 2016 - Birmingham ( Concerts at Ruddock Hall on both nights(August 29 and 30)
- 2015 - Birmingham
- 2014 - Cardiff & Monmouth, Wales
- 2013 - Consett, County Durham (Concerts at the "Youth Village" near Consett on both nights [August 2 and 3])
- 2012 - Leicester
- 2011 - Wokingham,Berkshire (Concerts St Nicolas Church, Newbury (Friday 5 August) and Bearwood College Theatre Saturday 6 August)
- 2010- Yorkshire (Concerts at Cleckheaton Town Hall, [Friday August 6] and Bradford Cathedral [Saturday August 8]). Performances, and premier, of "Centenary Fantasia" at the Girlguiding UK Centenary celebration, "Fusion" at Harewood House, Harrogate.
- 2009 - Cheshire (Concerts at The Grange School Theatre, Hartford [Friday August 7] and Chester Cathedral [Saturday August 8])
- 2008 - Musselburgh (Concert at St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh fringe festival)
- 2007 - Ipswich (Concerts in the Corn Exchange, Bury St Edmunds and St.John's Church, Ipswich). A concert to premier "The Great Adventure" was held in the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, in October. On November 24, the NSGSO played at Live 07, the Scout Centenary Celebration at the O2 Arena.
- 2006 - Cardiff Bay (Concerts in Bristol Cathedral and Cardiff University Concert Hall)
- 2005 - Barnard Castle (Concerts in Ripon Cathedral and Elvet Methodist Church)
- 2004 - Berkshire (Estonia Tour, concerts at Rakvere Castle and a Masonic Hall, Tallinn)
- 2003 - Fleetwood (Concerts in Marine Hall Fleetwood and Chorley Town Hall)
- 2002 - Reading (Concerts in Holy Cross Church, Camberley and St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle)
- 2001 - Matlock (Concerts at Worksop and St John's Church, Buxton)
- 2000 - Horsham (Concert at Christ's Hospital and Prague Tour, concerts in Karlovy Vary, Marianske Lazne and The Church of St Simon and St Jude, Prague)
- 1999 - Belfast (Concerts at Coleraine and Waterfront Hall Belfast)
- 1998 - Durham
- 1997 - Burnham-on-Sea
- 1996 - Cardiff
- 1995 - Norwich (Concerts in Norwich and Ipswich)
- 1994 - Ardingley and tour to Greece
- 1993 - Manchester
- 1992 - Nottingham
- 1991 - Bristol
- 1990 - York and tour to Sweden
- 1989 - Edinburgh
- 1988 - Gravesend and tour to USA
- 1987 - Ipswich
- 1986 - tour to Austria
- 1985 - Bristol, residence was at Gilwell Park
The original courses, in the 70s, were held at Gilwell Park over New Year. Concerts were held in the Royal College of Music in London.