Neve Shalom Synagogue
|Neve Shalom Synagogue|
|Location||Büyük Hendek Caddesi 61, Istanbul, Turkey|
|Website||Neve Shalom Synagogue Official Website|
|Architect(s)||Elyo Ventura and Bernar Motola|
Neve Shalom Synagogue, (Turkish: Neve Şalom Sinagogu, Hebrew: בית הכנסת נווה שלום; lit. "Oasis of Peace" or "Valley of Peace"), is a synagogue in the Karaköy quarter of Beyoğlu district, in Istanbul, Turkey.
The synagogue was built in response to an increase in the Jewish population in the old Galata neighborhood (today encompassed by Beyoğlu district) in the late 1930s. A Jewish primary school was torn down in 1949 for that purpose and the synagogue was built on its ruins. The construction completed in 1951. Its architects were Elyo Ventura and Bernar Motola, young Turkish Jews. The inauguration of the synagogue was held on Sunday, March 25, 1951 (17 Veadar 5711, Hebrew calendar), in the presence of the Chief Rabbi of Turkey of the time, Hahambaşı Rav. Rafael David Saban.
Neve Shalom suffered three terrorist attacks:
- On September 6, 1986, gunmen opened fire during a Shabbat service, which resulted in the death of 22 people. This attack is attributed to the Palestinian militant Abu Nidal.
- On November 16, 2003, the Synagogue was hit by one of four car bomb attacks carried out in Istanbul that day (see 2003 Istanbul bombings). Even though a local Turkish militant group, the Great Eastern Islamic Raiders' Front, claimed responsibility for the attacks, police claimed the bombings were "too sophisticated to have been carried out by that group", with a senior Israeli government source saying: "the attack must have been at least coordinated with international terror organizations".
- Arsu, Sebnem; Filkins, Dexter (November 16, 2003). "20 in Istanbul Die in Bombings At Synagogues". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- Reeves, Phil (August 20, 2002). "Mystery surrounds 'suicide' of Abu Nidal, once a ruthless killer and face of terror". The Independent (London). Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- "Bombings at Istanbul Synagogues Kill 23". Fox News. November 16, 2003.
- "Neve Şalom'a ilk saldırı değil (Not the first attack on Neve Shalom)" (in Turkish). Hürriyet daily website. 2003-11-15. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- Chief Rabbinate of Turkey
- Neve Shalom Synagogue Official Website
- Shalom Newspaper - The main Jewish newspaper in Turkey