North Garland High School
|North Garland High School|
|2109 W Buckingham Road
Garland, Texas, Dallas County 75042
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Garland Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Bob Morrison, Ed.D.|
|Principal||Dr. Glenda Williams|
|• Grade 9||800|
|• Grade 10||800|
|• Grade 11||650|
|• Grade 12||500|
|Average class size||22 English or Spanish
21 foreign language
24 social studies
|Student to teacher ratio||13.5 (2007)|
|Hours in school day||7 |
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Fight song||Minnesota Rouser|
|Average SAT scores||1006 (2007)|
|Average ACT scores||21 (2007)|
|Newspaper||The Raider Echo|
|Website||North Garland High School|
North Garland High School is a public secondary school located in Garland, Texas (USA). North Garland High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Garland Independent School District. The school is known for the endorsement of its highly competitive Math, Science, and Technology Magnet Program.
North Garland High School opened during the 1971-1972 school year as the third high school to serve the school district. The Class of 1973 was the first graduating class.
North Garland's school colors were chosen by selecting one color from the two high schools Garland High School and South Garland High School. On the opening of the school on 1971, The students had a choice between a French Raider Sam and a Western Raider Sam. The drill team, assuming the French Raider Sam was going to receive the popular vote, selected their names to be the Mam'selles and La'Petites to match the French theme. When the results were in, the Western Raider Sam received the popular vote, which is why the names of the drill team do not correlate with the current mascot.
In 2010, North Garland High School was named by the National Center for Educational Achievement (NCEA) as a 2010 Higher Performing School.
North Garland's Mathematics, Science, and Technology (MST) Magnet Program was established at 1998. The program endorses a number of concentrations of study, including: Computer Science, Multimedia Applications, Telecommunications, Medical Academic Studies, Medical Technical Studies, Engineering, Comprehensive Science, and Interdisciplinary Studies. Students in the MST program concentrate on a particular area of study and by archiving requirements, the student can qualify for an endorsement on the subject of study.
North Garland is one of the five schools in the district that implements a block scheduling system, where students take four classes per day on alternating school days. North Garland developed the system in the spring of 1991 as part of the campus improvement plan. It allows students to earn eight graduation credits per year compared to seven credits on the traditional system.
Statistics (per 2007)
The attendance rate for students at the school is 95%, compared with a state average of 96%. 44% of the students at North Garland are economically disadvantaged, 9% enroll in special education, 4% enroll in gifted and talent programs, 70% are enrolled in career and technology programs, and 14% are considered "limited English proficient."
Teachers at the school carry, on average, 10 years of teaching experience and 7% of the teachers on staff are first-year teachers.
North Garland High School has had a strong history of sports, and the school currently offers the following sports to students: Baseball, Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Powerlifting, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, and Volleyball. Naaman is classified as an UIL Class 5A Classification for the 2013-2014 school year, but will be put into the UIL Class 6A Region 2 District 11 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Eric Bassey - Former Safety for the Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Rams of the NFL. Graduated 2001.
- Brett Beavers - Country music songwriter in Nashville, Tennessee. Graduated 1981.
- Michael Phillips - Historian, author of White Metropolis: Race, Ethnicity, and Religion in Dallas, 1841-2001.
- Scott Crow Activist, media spokesperson and author who has appeared on NPR, CNN and in the New York Times. His books include "Black Flags and Windmills:Hope, Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective".
- Joe Walter is a former tackle who played thirteen seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals in the National Football League. Graduated 1981.
- Michael Cain - Chairman of the Board for Dallas Film Society and graduate of the American Film Institute. Michael is also a producer with more than 50 commercials and music videos to his credit. His documentary, TV Junkie, was a 2006 Sundance Film Festival selection and received Special Jury Prize for Documentary Excellence. He is currently in pre-production for THE STARCK PROJECT, a riviting look at the Dallas-based STARCK Club. Graduated 1978.
- Edorian McCullough - set district records in football for rushing yards in a game and a season; won consecutive state championships in the 100 meters; played college football at the University of Texas and professional football for the Frankfurt Galaxy
- Kevin Hageland - sports journalist and sports talk radio host on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. 
- Shawn Redd - Current assistant baseball coach at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and former coach at University of Arkansas Little Rock and Texas Christian University
Garland ISD is a Free Choice school district, which allows the parent to choose which school his or her children want to attend within the district.
Jackson Technology Center feeds into North Garland High School for students continuing on the MST Program. Beaver Technology Center and Watson Technology Center feed students continuing on the MST Program to Jackson Technology Center, and ultimately into North Garland High School.
- North Garland High School - School Spirit & History. Retrieved on 3 December 2009
- GISD - Leadership. Retrieved on 3 December 2009
- North Garland High School - Administration. Retrieved on 3 December 2009
- 2007-2008 TEA AEIS Campus Performance. Retrieved on 3 December 2009
- North Garland High School - Schedule. Retrieved on 3 December 2009
- "2009 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- http://www.garlandisdschools.net/page.cfm?p=498 accessed 19 February 2009
- GISD - School Hours. Retrieved on 5 February 2008.
- Phillips, White Metropolis, University of Texas Press. Retrieved on 7 October 2008
- crow, scott, PM Press. Retrieved on July 2014
- GISD - Choice of School. Retrieved on 14 December 2007
- GISD - Math, Science, Technology Magnet Programs. Retrieved on 1 February 2008