Northern Region, Manitoba
Location of Northern Manitoba in Manitoba and Canada. The thin straight lines denote census division boundaries.
|Divisions||19, 21, 22, 23|
|• Total||438,492 km2 (169,303 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.20/km2 (0.52/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CST (UTC-5)|
The Northern Region is a region in the Canadian province of Manitoba. It is situated on the Canadian Shield and includes Manitoba's Hudson Bay coastline. The major economic activities are mining and tourism. The region is composed of four census divisions: 19 and 21–23 . The land area of the region is 438,491.51 km² (169,302.52 mi²), which encompasses 67% of Manitoba's total land area. The vast majority of the region is undeveloped wilderness. Its total population at the 2011 census was 88,146, which was only 7.3% of Manitoba's total population in the 2011 census. The largest municipality is the city of Thompson. Other major population centers include the city of Flin Flon and the town of The Pas. Indian reserves comprise more than 49% of the region's population. There are 54 reserves with a total population of 40,572. The largest of these are Norway House 17 and Peguis 1B.
Geography and ecology
This region is covered by large extents of stunted Black Spruce dominant forest, with association of Tamarack. There are several mammals in the region including the Arctic fox, Beluga whale and Polar bear. The Polar bear has a significant denning area within the Wapusk National Park, from which annual bear migrations to Hudson Bay are made.
The following communities are within the Northern Region of Manitoba:
- First Nations in the Northern Region of Manitoba
- Nelson River Hydroelectric Project
- Southern Manitoba
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008 Polar Bear: Ursus maritimus, Globaltwitcher.com, ed. N. Stromberg
- Manitoba. 2009. Manitoba Regional Profiles: Northern Region Official Site, Government of Manitoba
- Community Profile: Census Division No. 19, Manitoba; Statistics Canada
- Community Profile: Census Division No. 21, Manitoba; Statistics Canada
- Community Profile: Census Division No. 22, Manitoba; Statistics Canada
- Community Profile: Census Division No. 23, Manitoba; Statistics Canada
- C. Michael Hogan. 2008
- Manitoba. 2009