Apostolic Nunciature to Great Britain
|Apostolic Nunciature of the Holy See to Great Britain|
|Apostolic Nuncio||Archbishop Antonio Mennini|
|Part of a series on|
in England and Wales
The Apostolic Nunciature to Great Britain is an ecclesiastical office of the Roman Catholic Church in Great Britain. It is a diplomatic post of the Holy See, whose representative is called the Apostolic Nuncio to the Court of St. James's with the rank of an ambassador. The office of the nunciature is located in London, lying within the Archdiocese of Southwark and overlooking Wimbledon Common. It is notable for being the only diplomatic mission in London located south of the river Thames. The Nuncio to Great Britain is also the papal representative to Gibraltar.
The current Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain is His Most Reverend Excellency Antonio Mennini. He was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on 18 December 2010. following the early retirement of Archbishop Faustino Sainz Muñoz on 2 December 2010. As the new Apostolic Nuncio to the UK, Archbishop Antonio Mennini, presented his credentials to The Queen on 2 March 2011.
Formal diplomatic relations between the United Kingdom and the Holy See resumed in 1914 and an Apostolic Delegation to Great Britain was established on 21 November 1938. The Apostolic Delegation to Great Britain was promoted to the rank of an Apostolic Nunciature by Pope John Paul II in 1982.
List of office holders
|Apostolic Delegate to Great Britain||21 November 1938||10 November 1953||William Godfrey||Previously, a priest of the Liverpool. Left after being appointed Archbishop of Liverpool|
|8 June 1954||16 July 1963||Gerald Patrick Aloysius O'Hara||Previously, Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland. Died in office|
|4 October 1963||19 April 1969||Igino Eugenio Cardinale||Previously a priest. Left after being appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Belgium|
|26 April 1969||16 July 1973||Domenico Enrici||Previously, Apostolic Delegate to Australia. Left after being appointed an official of the Secretariat of State|
|16 July 1973||22 February 1982||Bruno Bernard Heim||Previously Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to the Arab Republic of Egypt. Retired|
|Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Great Britain||22 February 1982||July 1985|
|21 January 1986||13 April 1993||Luigi Barbarito||Previously, Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Australia. Retired|
|Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain||13 April 1993||31 July 1997|
|31 July 1997||23 October 2004||Pablo Puente Buces||Previously, Apostolic Nuncio to Kuwait. Retired.|
|11 December 2004||5 December 2010||Faustino Sainz Muñoz||Previously, Apostolic Nuncio to European Community. Retired.|
|18 December 2010||Antonio Mennini||Previously, Apostolic Nuncio to Uzbekistan|
- List of diplomatic missions of the Holy See
- List of Ambassadors from the United Kingdom to the Holy See
- Holy See–United Kingdom relations
- "The London Diplomatic List" (PDF). 14 December 2013.
- Matthew Bunson (2008). Our Sunday Visitor's Catholic Almanac 2009. Our Sunday Visitor Publishing. p. 256. ISBN 978-1-59276-441-9.
- "Great Britain receives new papal delegate from Pope". Catholicnewsagency.com. 2010-12-18.
- "Nuncio to Great Britain to retire due to ill health". CatholicHerald.co.uk. 2010-11-12.
- "New Apostolic Nuncio presented to HM Queen Elizabeth". rcdow.org.uk. 2011-02-03.
- "Nunciature to Great Britain". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Nunciature to Great Britain at GCatholic.org. Retrieved on 11 June 2013.