Nyenga Mission Hospital
|St. Francis Hospital Nyegaa|
|Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi|
|Care system||Community hospital|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Nyenga Mission Hospital, whose formal name is St. Francis Hospital Nyenga but is commonly referred to as Nyenga Hospital, is a community hospital in Uganda. It is owned and operated by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi.
The hospital is in the town of Nyenga in Buikwe District in Uganda's Central Region. It is approximately 15 kilometres (9 mi), by road, west of the Jinja Regional Referral Hospital. This is about 78 kilometres (48 mi) east of the Mulago National Referral Hospital. The coordinates of Nyenga Hospital are 0°23'02.0"N, 33°09'08.0"E (Latitude:0.383894; Longitude:33.152220).
St. Francis Hospital Nyenga is a rural community hospital that serves Buikwe District and people from parts of the neighboring districts of Kayunga, Jinja, Buvuma, and Mukono. The hospital was founded in 1932 as a leprosy hospital by Mother Kevin, a nurse who was also a nun of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa. The hospital was later turned over to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi, whereupon it began to treat other diseases. The hospital is the teaching hospital for the St. Francis Nyenga School of Nursing.
According to a September 2010 published report, the hospital had challenges of under-staffing and vandalism.
- Lule, Jeff Andrew (29 February 2012). "US injects Sh14 billion in Catholic Church HIV/AIDS project". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- GFC (15 May 2016). "Distance between Nyenga Hospital, Buikwe, Central Region, Uganda and Jinja Referal(sic) Hospital, Rotary Road, Jinja, Eastern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- GFC (15 May 2016). "Distance between Nyenga Hospital, Buikwe, Central Region, Uganda and Mulago National Referral Hospital, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- Google (15 May 2016). "Location of St. Francis Hospital Nyenga" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- Kathleen Vongsathorn (1 August 2012). ""First and foremost the evangelist"? Mission and government priorities for the treatment of leprosy in Uganda, 1927-1948". Journal of Eastern African Studies. 6: 544–560. doi:10.1080/17531055.2012.696906. PMC . PMID 24949084.
- Mukyala, Esther (22 February 2007). "Nyenga Hospital staff get houses". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- UGFC (15 May 2016). "About St. Francis Nyenga School of Nursing". Ugfacts.com (UGFC). Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- Musingo, Doreen (29 September 2010). "Nyenga hospital hit by water shortage". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 15 May 2016.