O, The Oprah Magazine
July 2012 cover of O
It was first published on April 19, 2000. As of June 2004[update], its average paid circulation was over 2.7 million copies, two thirds by subscription. A South African edition was first published in April 2002; according to the South African Advertising Research Foundation, its average readership was over 300,000. The editor of the South African edition is Samantha Page. While most US magazine sales declined in 2009, O Magazine increased its newsstand sales by 5.8 percent to 662,304 copies during the second of half of the year. The magazine's newsstand sales fell 15.8% during the first half of 2010, while its subscription circulation increased, and sales fell 8.2% in the latter half of the year.
Since its inception, Oprah has appeared alone on the cover of each issue. The first shared cover is her April 2009 issue in which she appears with the First Lady Michelle Obama. The second shared cover is with fellow daytime host Ellen DeGeneres on the December 2009 issue. Four separate covers were shot for this special holiday issue. The December issue of O hit newsstands on November 12, 2009. O, the Oprah Magazine serves 63.6% Caucasian, 29.8% African-American, 8.8% Hispanic, 1.8% Asian and 6.6% other women. This Magazine is directed towards a median age of 47.9, median home value of $214,281, median HHI of $68,911, and Median IEI of $38,756.
The December 2010 issue of The Oprah Magazine was the first released digitally through the magazine's app for the iPad. The app features exclusive videos of Oprah, allows readers to preview and purchase books presented in the magazine's Reading Room and O List sections, and gives users the ability to purchase monthly or yearly subscriptions. Individual issues are also available for download through the app.
In May 2013, Lucy Kaylin was promoted to editor in chief, replacing Susan Casey.
In July 2009, Susan Casey became the editor-in-chief of the magazine. Before joining, she was the development editor of Time Inc.. Casey was editor-in-chief of Sports Illustrated Women, editor-at-large for Time Inc., and creative director of Outside. Casey wrote The New York Times bestseller The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks, and The Wave.
In 2015, the magazine will team up with Flatiron Books of St. Martin's Press and publish a series of inspiration books, starting with O's Little Book of Happiness. ISBN 978-1250068569
|This section requires expansion. (March 2011)|
In a March 2001 an article entitled O Positive, Noreen O'Leary argued that Winfrey was well on her way to influencing the content of women's magazines beyond her own, just as she has helped reshape daytime TV and the world of book publishing.
In April 2001, Oprah Winfrey and the Hearst Corporation were sued for trademark infringement by Ronald Brockmeyer, the publisher of «O» Magazine, a German erotic periodical which predated Winfrey's magazine by several years. In a March 2003 decision, Judge John Koeltl dismissed the suit, citing the different content of the two magazines and the irregular publication schedule and minimal American sales of the German magazine.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. June 30, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- [dead link]
- "U.S. magazine circulation falls 9% at newsstands". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- Adams, Russell (August 10, 2010). "Magazine Circulation Falls Further". The Wall Street Journal.
- Newsstand Magazine Sales Slide; The Wrap; Dylan Stableford; August 9, 2010
- Moses, Lucia. "Circulation News Not Good for Big Magazine Publishers". Adweek. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Michelle Obama's Oprah Interview – O Magazine Cover with Obama". Oprah.com. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Which O Magazine Cover With Oprah and Ellen Do You Like Best?". Oprah.com. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "Ellen DeGeneres' O Magazine Cover – Ellen and Oprah". Oprah.com. October 13, 2009. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- "The Oprah Magazine debuts on iPad". iPad app info added. Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- "Oprah Magazine's iPad App".
- Lucy Kaylin Rises to Editor in Chief at O, The Oprah Magazine; New York Observer; April 28, 2013
- Keith J. Kelly (September 11, 2009). "Casey's at the bat at O, The Oprah Magazine". New York Post. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
assumed by Sara Nelson, the mag's new book director...
- Keith j. kelly (September 10, 2009). "Oprah's O in overhaul". New York Post. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
Sara Nelson was named books editor...
- Lynn Neary (September 10, 2010). "How To Sell A Book? Good Old Word Of Mouth". National Public Radio. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
Sara Nelson, book editor at Oprah's O magazine, said ...
- O'Leary, Noreen (2001). "O Positive – O, The Oprah Magazine, profile – Statistical Data Included". Brandweek.
- Official magazine websites: Oprah Winfrey and Hearst
- Magazine summary, including ABC Circulation information and mission statement
- Oprah gives O magazine staffers $10K each to celebrate 10th anniversary