Oberrieden from across Lake Zurich
|• Total||2.76 km2 (1.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||460 m (1,510 ft)|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,800/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Herrliberg, Horgen, Meilen, Thalwil|
Oberrieden is first mentioned between 1133 and 1167 as Obrendrieden.
Oberrieden has an area of 2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi). Of this area, 15.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 42.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 40.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.4%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). In 1996[update] housing and buildings made up 27.2% of the total area, while transportation infrastructure made up the rest (13.8%). Of the total unproductive area, water (streams and lakes) made up 0.7% of the area. As of 2007[update] 42.1% of the total municipal area was undergoing some type of construction.
Oberrieden has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 5,090. As of 2007[update], 15.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. As of 2008[update] the gender distribution of the population was 47.5% male and 52.5% female. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 11.6%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (89.8%), with English being second most common ( 2.5%) and Italian being third ( 2.0%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 20.1% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 62.4% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 17.5%. In Oberrieden about 88% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). There are 2133 households in Oberrieden.
Oberrieden has an unemployment rate of 2%. As of 2005[update], there were 50 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 6 businesses involved in this sector. 69 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 19 businesses in this sector. 569 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 138 businesses in this sector. As of 2007[update] 69.2% of the working population were employed full-time, and 30.8% were employed part-time.
As of 2008[update] there were 1460 Catholics and 2135 Protestants in Oberrieden. In the 2000 census, religion was broken down into several smaller categories. From the census[update], 50.2% were some type of Protestant, with 47.7% belonging to the Swiss Reformed Church and 2.6% belonging to other Protestant churches. 28.9% of the population were Catholic. Of the rest of the population, 0% were Muslim, 3% belonged to another religion (not listed), 3.2% did not give a religion, and 14.3% were atheist or agnostic.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Oberrieden is served by two railway stations on the Zurich S-Bahn that are on different lines but only some 400 metres (1,300 ft) apart. Oberrieden is on line S8, whilst Oberrieden Dorf is on line S24.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Oberrieden in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 07-Aug-2009
- Statistics Zurich (in German) accessed 4 August 2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 22, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oberrieden ZH.|