Cover of the first light novel
(Onī-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne!)
|Genre||Harem, Romantic comedy|
|Written by||Daisuke Suzuki|
|Illustrated by||Gekka Urū|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||December 21, 2010 – ongoing|
|Written by||Kurō Rokushō|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||December 2011 – ongoing|
|Sakigake!! Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne!|
|Written by||Akira Yamane|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||July 2012 – March 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Keiichirō Kawaguchi|
|Music by||Takahiro Ando|
|Network||AT-X, Tokyo MX|
|Original run||October 5, 2012 – December 21, 2012|
OniAi (お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Onī-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne!?, lit. As Long as There's Love, It Doesn't Matter If He Is My Brother, Right?), is a Japanese light novel series written by Daisuke Suzuki, with illustrations by Gekka Urū. The series is published by Media Factory and since December 2010 there have been 10 volumes released. There are two manga adaptation series, both serialized in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive magazine. An anime adaptation by Silver Link aired in Japan from October 5 to December 21, 2012.
After 6 years of living apart due to the death of their parents, the Himenokōji twins, Akito and Akiko, are finally reunited when Akito desires to live as a family once more. Although things are fine at first, Akiko begins to express her incestuous love for her older brother, who only sees her as his little sister.
- Akito Himenokōji (姫小路 秋人 Himenokōji Akito?)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- The male protagonist, Akito recently transferred to Saint Liliana High School where he is placed in class 2A. His twin sister, from whom he has been separated for six years, is a student at the school. Akito has a laid-back personality and hopes to live a calm, normal life, but he will work with his full strength to achieve a goal. He started to take care of his sister when they were younger, however when their parents died, the siblings were separated. Six years later, he moved out of the Takanomiya household (the people who adopted him after he was separated from Akiko) to live on his own and was finally able to reunite with his sister, only to find out that she has a brother complex which had developed while they were separated. It is later revealed that he was actually adopted by his former parents, and therefore has no blood relationship with his sister, but he has chosen to keep this as a secret, especially from her. He loves to tease Akiko and watching others tease her. Akito is quite protective of Akiko, and people around him often comment that Akito he has a serious sister complex, although he insists that he only sees her as his little sister. He has secretly made a living by writing erotic novels of brother-sister incest under the pen name "Kōichirō Shindo", which are very popular since before the siblings started living together. He uses his relationship with his sister as an inspiration for his novels, with the characters' names being very similar to their own. He was given the job of Student Council "Vice-Assistant of Proxy of Secretary" so that the girls on the Council could spend more time with him. Arashi happily claims that the position was fabricated for her underground lover; technically, he is the assistant of Akiko, the student council secretary. He also may love Akiko more than just a "sister".
- Akiko Himenokōji (姫小路 秋子 Himenokōji Akiko?)
- Voiced by: Ibuki Kido
- A Saint Liliana High School second year student. Akiko is Akito's sister, is very pretty and has polite manners. However, she has a very serious brother-complex, and is making every effort to seduce Akito. She is also very proud of her brother complex and makes no effort in hiding it. At the same time she denies that her brother in turn has a sister-complex. She is the secretary of Saint Liliana High School Student Council and does not like it when Akito interacts with other student council members. She doesn't know that Akito has no blood relationship with her and believes that they are twins. She is a fan of Kōichirō Shindo, and wishes that her brother would be as aggressive as the brother in Kōichirō Shindo's novel. She hasn't noticed that the beginning of his novel is based on their relationship nor does she know that Kōichirō Shindo is actually her brother.
- Anastasia Nasuhara (那須原 アナスタシア Nasuhara Anasutashia?)
- Voiced by: Minori Chihara
- A Saint Liliana High School second year student and the Vice-President of the Student Council. She is the daughter of the owner of Nasuhara industry, a world-wide company. Anastasia is half-Russian and half-American with blonde twin tails. She has a cold personality and often asks strange questions, for example asking Akito if he was a cherry boy (A term for virgin) when they first met. She is Akiko's rival and proud that she wins a little in almost everything, including height, grades, breast size, rank during the Miss Saint Liliana High School Election, and Student Council rank. However, she is extremely bad at house chores due to her upbringing in a wealthy family, to the point that she will gladly admit it and try to escape from doing them. She also loves cute things, and not only keeps lots of plushies in her room, but also loves to play with Arisa. Despite being Akiko's rival, she gets along very well with Akito and confessed to him on his first day at school. Akito hasn't had a chance to answer her due to the chaotic situation that the confession brought about. She demands that Akito call her Ana, but teases him whenever he does so (because ana (穴) means hole in Japanese).
- Ginbei Haruomi Sawatari (猿渡 銀兵衛 春臣 Sawatari Ginbei Haruomi?)
- Voiced by: Asami Shimoda
- Akito's childhood friend. Despite having a boyish name and way of talking, Ginbei is a girl and secretly has feelings for Akito. Due to her merchant family tradition, she was raised as a boy and not allowed to take a job herself, living only on her family's financial support. She later transferred to Saint Liliana High School (to be closer to Akito) and became the accountant of the Student Council. Despite the fact that she moved and transferred schools to follow him, Akito often refers to her as his best (normal) friend, which greatly disappoints her. She has a habit of mumbling about Akito's ignorance whenever he overlooks her feelings.
- Arashi Nikaidō (二階堂 嵐 Nikaidō Arashi?)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- A Saint Liliana High School third year student and the President of the Student Council, Arashi wears a ponytail, has heterochromia and is seen often wearing an eyepatch over her right eye. She is also often seen carrying a real katana. She has the best grades among the 3rd year students and is a powerful leader, being able not only to handle most of the Student Council chores by herself, but also to take control of most of the school's activities. She is bisexual and very sexually aggressive, claiming she has had over 30 lovers, thus gaining the nickname "The Predator". However, later in the story she decides to peacefully break up with her lovers in order to make the Student Council into her harem. She also has the habit of referring to Akito as either her underground lover or sex slave. She is actually Akito's cousin from before his adoption by Akiko's parents, and is aware that Akito was adopted by her family. She is also the only one on the Student Council who knows that Akito is Kōichirō Shindo.
- Arisa Takanomiya (鷹ノ宮 ありさ Takanomiya Arisa?)
- Voiced by: Sumire Morohoshi
- The daughter of Akito's second adoptive family and also his fiancée. Arisa is a genius; despite being only 12 years old, she has already graduated from a famous university, and her thesis was published in a famous journal. She is very good at household chores. At the end of the 4th novel, she moves in with the student council members. While most of the student council members say that the engagement doesn't count due to her age, Akiko views her as a love rival. However, after arguing over which of them is better for Akito, the two of them decide to work together as they have noticed that Akito sees both of them as his sisters rather than as potential love interests. She has a habit of going silent and showing her emotions on her face when she is upset, which is so cute that people who see it can't resist accepting her will.
- Kaoruko Jinno (神野 薫子 Jinno Kaoruko?)
- Voiced by: Megumi Takamoto
- Kōichirō Shindo's personal editor, Kaoruko worries that Akito has a sister complex and is trying to fix it.
OniAi started as a Japanese light novel series, written by Daisuke Suzuki, with illustrations by Gekka Urū. The series is published by Media Factory under their MF Bunko J imprint. The series' first volume was released on December 21, 2010, and as of March 25, 2014, there have been 11 volumes total. A drama CD was released bundled with the limited edition of the seventh volume, published on September 22, 2012.
A manga adaptation series by Kurō Rokushō began serialization in the December 2011 issue of Media Factory's seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive. The series has also been released in 6 volumes, between February 23, 2012, and May 23, 2014. A manga series by Akira Yamane, titled Sakigake!! Onii-chan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankei yo ne! (魁!! お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ?) was also published in Monthly Comic Alive between its July 2012 and March 2013 issues. Its first volume was released on November 22, 2012.
A 12-episode anime television series adaptation, directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi and produced by studio Silver Link, aired in Japan between October 5 and December 21, 2012, and was later simulcasted by Funimation. The opening theme for the anime is "Self Producer" by Minori Chihara, whilst the ending theme is "Life-Ru is Love-Ru!! (Lifeる is LOVEる!!?), by Liliana Sisters consisting of Ibuki Kido, Minori Chihara, Asami Shimoda and Eri Kitamura.
The series was released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD in Japan in 6 volumes between December 2012 and May 2013. A North American release by Funimation with subtitles in English was released on December 31, 2013.
|October 5, 2012|
|After being apart for six years, Akiko Himenokoji finally moves in with her brother Akito—who is immediately taken aback by Akiko's precocities, which include insisting that he peep on her whilst she bathes. Later, Ginbei, Anastasia, and Arashi move into the same dormitory, much to Akiko's dismay.|
|October 12, 2012|
|Akito meets with his editor Kaoruko at a restaurant where they discuss Akito's next novel. Akito has also discovered that Akiko has been reading the novels—all incestuous stories—that Akito wrote under an assumed name.|
"Bura Nashi" (ぶらなし)
|October 19, 2012|
|When Akito goes to collect the laundry from the line and moves on to Akiko's panties, Akiko rushes out and falsely accuses him of having perverted thoughts. Anastasia has taken a liking to Akito and asks him to be her boyfriend—resulting in an adverse reaction from Akiko.|
|October 26, 2012|
|Akito helps Anastasia organise her room, whereupon Anastasia attempts to take advantage of him. Later, Akiko, Ginbei, Anastasia, and Arashi take a bath together, where they deride each other for the calibre of their bodies.|
|November 2, 2012|
|Having read over the material Akito submitted for publication, Kaoruko begins to question whether Akito has incestuous feelings for his sister. Later, when the door to the shed is locked, Arashi attempts to take advantage of Akito.|
|November 9, 2012|
|Kaoruko comes to the dormitory to ask Akito's cohabitants whether he has any incestuous feelings for his sister, of which she leaves convinced especially as Akiko seizes the opportunity to trumpet her love for her brother. In response to the allegations, the cohabitants resolve that Akito and Akiko must sleep in separate rooms. Later, it is learned that Arashi took on Arisa, Akito's fiancée, as the new housekeeper.|
|November 16, 2012|
|With Arisa's arrival at the dormitory, Akiko believes that her chances of having Akito to herself are threatened and challenges Arisa to a series of competitions to determine who is better suited for Akito. Akito eventually tides over the situation by declaring that he loves them both as sisters.|
|November 23, 2012|
|Arisa, Ginbei, Akiko, Anastasia, and Arashi go shopping for swimsuits and then ask Akito to decide which one is the best.|
|November 30, 2012|
|Akito catches Ginbei conversing with a cat outside the school grounds. Later, when Akito takes ill, his cohabitants argue over who should be able to take care of him before deciding to take shifts doing so.|
|December 7, 2012|
|Ginbei recounts how she and Akito first met and why she thinks Akito looks at her as a boy. When Akito recovers, his cohabitants ask him to decide who took the best care of him; he chooses Arashi, who did nothing but change his head towel. It transpires that Kaoruko caught Akito's illness and sleeps in the editorial offices, agonising about the worst possible scenarios regarding what she believes is Akito's feelings for his sister.|
|December 14, 2012|
|Anastasia can't find her underwear and is forced to spend the rest of the day without it, which proves troublesome when Arisa reports something strange in the woods and the gang decides to investigate. When their search turns up nothing and they lose each other whilst going home, Anastasia reminisces about how she and the Himenokoji twins met. Kaoruko has a fever-induced dream that she and Akito's cohabitants have entered a polygamous marriage with him.|
|December 21, 2012|
|Anastasia reminisces about her first impressions of Akito. The gang returns from the woods without seeing any ghosts, but after Kaoruko and a litter of kittens turn up in the yard, the apparition of green flames sends everyone scurrying into Akito's room for cover. Things get even more complicated when Akito discovers that Arisa has slept on his lap in the nude. Akiko then apologises to Akito for having doubts as to whether he would come back for her after being separated. The credits roll with Akito explaining that he is not actually related to Akiko by blood, but that he prefers to keep that to himself since he believes that Akiko needs a brother to look up to.|
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ11 (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). mediafactory.co.jp. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ7 ドラマCD付き特装版 (MF文庫J)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 1 (MFコミックス アライブシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 6 (MFコミックス アライブシリーズ)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- 魁!! お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ 1 (アライブコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "OniAi Romantic Comedy TV Anime's 1st Promo Streamed". Anime News Network. July 30, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- "Funimations Streams Code:Breaker, Jormungand, Kamisama Kiss, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, OniAi". Anime News Network. October 9, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.1 [DVD]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.1 [Blu-ray]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.6 [DVD]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ Vol.6 [Blu-ray]" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Funimation Discusses OniAi Release With Only English Subtitles". Anime News Network. September 21, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Light novel official website (Japanese)
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- OniAi (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia