|Also called||Vauxhall Viva (HD, fourth generation)|
VinFast Fadil (Vietnam)
|Assembly||South Korea: Changwon (GM Korea)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door hatchback|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive|
|Platform||Global Small Vehicles|
|Related||Chevrolet Spark |
|Engine||1.0 L B10XF I3 (petrol)|
|Wheelbase||2,385 mm (93.9 in)|
|Length||3,675 mm (144.7 in)|
|Width||1,698 mm (66.9 in)|
|Height||1,476 mm (58.1 in)|
|Kerb weight||939 kg (2,070 lb)|
The Opel Karl is a city car designated by the German manufacturer Opel as their entry model for the line up. It replaced the Agila in December 2014. In the United Kingdom, it has been marketed as the Vauxhall Viva since December 2014.
The car is built in South Korea, with a starting price in the United Kingdom of under £8,000, and fuel consumption reaching 4.3 L/100 km (66 mpg‑imp) with a 1.0 L (999 cc) three cylinder direct injection engine making 55 kW (75 PS).
Although the Karl's dimensions are very similar to its predecessor, it is 115 mm (4.5 in) lower, making it almost the same size as the more expensive three door Opel Adam.
The Opel Karl is not sold in all European markets. It is not sold in Norway, Sweden, all ex countries of the USSR, Malta, Eastern Balkans (incl. Bulgaria and Romania), Greece, Turkey and Cyprus.
The Opel Karl had its second world premiere held in Rijeka, Croatia, back in 2015. In October 2018, it was announced that the production of Karl and Viva will be discontinued by the end of 2019.
New Vietnamese car company VinFast has licensed the Opel Karl from General Motors, to produce their first city car. The front of the car will be restyled to match the new VinFast brand style. Early vehicles will be manufactured in South Korea, but in 2019, production will be in VinFast's own facilities in Haiphong.
The Viva range includes the base SE model, the SE A/C (which has air conditioning as standard, hence the name) and the top SL.
The range has a high level standard specification compared to similar vehicles from other manufacturers, including a lane departure warning system, cruise control, speed limiter, trip computer (instant MPG, average MPG, average speed, stop watch and trip computer), tyre pressure monitoring system, electronic stability program and traction control, front fog lamps and cornering lamps.
The SL offers digital climate control, partial leather trim and alloy wheels. Options include an electronically operated glass sunroof, a touch screen entertainment system (replacing the 300/300BT stereo unit) and a "Winter Pack" comprising heated seats, steering wheel, and door mirrors.
- "Vauxhall To Introduce New Brand Image, Small Cars – GM Authority". GM Authority. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "The Vauxhall Viva is coming back". Top Gear. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Opel Karl – Neuer Kleinwagen als Einstiegsmodell". Süddeutsche.de. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Neuer Opel Karl (2015): Erste Fotos vom Kleinwagen – autobild.de". Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "New Opel KARL: World Premiere at the Geneva Motor Show" (Press release). General Motors. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Svjetska vice premijera Opela Karl u Rijeci". fiuman.hr. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Opel stellt Modelle Adam, Karl und Cascada ein". DE (in German). Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Vauxhall confirms it will axe Adam and Viva city cars | Autocar". www.autocar.co.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Vietnamese VinFast showed its new hatchback VinFast Fadil". Auto Times News. 24 November 2018. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- Huong, Kim (21 November 2018). "VinFast announces jaw dropping starting price for vehicles". Vietnam Investment Review. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "Vauxhall VIVA | Equipment". Vauxhall Motors UK. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Media related to Opel Karl at Wikimedia Commons
|City car||Agila A||Agila B||Karl|
|Supermini||Corsa A||Corsa B||Corsa C||Corsa D||Corsa E|
|Small family car||Kadett D||Kadett E||Astra F||Astra G||Astra H||Astra J||Astra K|
|Large family car||Ascona B||Ascona C||Vectra A||Vectra B||Vectra C / Signum||Insignia A|
|Executive car||Rekord E / Commodore C||Omega A||Omega B1||Omega B2||Insignia B|
|Luxury car||Senator A||Senator B|
|Convertible||Tigra TwinTop B||Cascada|
|Meriva A||Crossland X|
|Compact MPV||Meriva B|
|Zafira A||Zafira B|
|Large MPV||Sintra||Zafira Tourer C|
|Compact SUV||Frontera A||Frontera B||Antara||Grandland X|
|LAV||Kadett Combo||Combo B||Combo C||Combo D||Combo E|
|LCV||Bedford Blitz||Arena||Vivaro A||Vivaro B|
|Movano A||Movano B|