Order For Merit
|National Order for Merit
Ordinul Național Pentru Merit
Officer's Medal of the Order
|Awarded by The President of Romania
|Type||Order of Merit|
|Ribbon||Pale Blue with a White stripe in the middle.|
|Eligibility||(1) Civil, military;
(2) military units;
(3) foreign citizens
|Awarded for||Special services rendered in the interests of Romania.|
|Grand Master||President Klaus Iohannis|
|Next (higher)||Order of Faithful Service|
|Next (lower)||None (Lowest)|
|Related||National Medal for Merit|
The Grand Officer's ribbon bar of the Order
Composition of the order
The National Order for Merit is awarded in five grades in civil and military divisions, as well as a wartime division. It may be awarded to Romanians, foreign citizens, and military units. Its number is limited to 7,500 members. Members of the order are referred to as Knights of the Order for Merit, regardless of grade. Awards to foreigners, awards to military units, and awards in the wartime division are not figured in the total number under the order's limits. Awards are limited by grade and division as follows:
- Grand Cross, 150 civilian and 50 military
- Grand Officer, 300 civilian and 100 military
- Commander, 675 civilian and 225 military
- Officer, 1,500 civilian and 500 military
- Knight, 3,000 civilian and 1,000
The National Order for merit recognizes important civil or military services rendered to Romania. Qualifying important services may include:
- Safeguarding the independence, sovereignty, territorial unity and integrity of the Romanian State
- Developing the national economy
- Accomplishments in the fields of science, art, or culture
- Contribution to the development of relationships between Romania and other countries or international organizations
- Meritorious military service organizing and managing military operations
- Deeds committed on the battlefield or during military conflicts
- "ODM of the Republic of Romania: Order for Merit". Medals.org.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Romania’s national system of decorations (PDF). Bucharest: Monitorul Oficial. 2003. pp. 382–396. ISBN 973-567-404-1.
- For Merit National Order recipients (Decretul 488/2013)
- Presedintele Romaniei. Decretul 567 din 1 decembrie 2000 (Decretul 567/2000)
- Bogdan Banu. "CORA - Congress of Romanian Americans". Romanianamericans.org. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "General Raymond T. Odierno United States Army Commander United States Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM)" (PDF). United States Joint Forces Command. Retrieved 20 October 2012. External link in
- "Chancery of Honours" (in Romanian). Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Regulament privind descrierea și acordarea Ordinului Național Pentru Merit" (PDF). MONITORUL OFICIAL AL ROMANIEI (in Romanian). Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Chancery of Honours". ADMINISTRAŢIA PREZIDENŢIALĂ - CANCELARIA ORDINELOR (in Romanian). Retrieved 5 December 2014.