Palisades Park High School
|Palisades Park Jr./Sr. High School|
|1 Veterans Plaza
Palisades Park, NJ 07650
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Palisades Park Public School District|
|Vice principal||Patrick Bott|
|Enrollment||529 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.0:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
Palisades Park Junior / Senior High School is a five-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in eighth through twelfth grades from Palisades Park, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Palisades Park Public School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 529 students and 53.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.0:1. There were 136 students (25.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 49 (9.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 282nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 253rd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 87th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 118th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 133rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school as tied for 198th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 33 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Palisades Park High School Tigers compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 335 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 187 to 490 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Palisades Park was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL).
The school participates in joint girls' soccer and boys' and girl's swimming programs with Leonia High School as the host school / lead agency, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2016-17 school year; Palisades Park High School is the lead agency for a cooperative football program with Leonia High School.
The wrestling team won the North I Group I state sectional championship in 1981, 1982 and 1991.
The football team won the NJSIAA North I Group I state sectional championship in 1991.
In 2006, the boys' basketball team won their first BCSL Olympic League title since 1980, finishing with a league-best 13-3 record (17-6 overall record). With just one senior in the starting lineup on the 2006 championship squad, the team would go on to win back-to-back Olympic League titles in 2009 and 2010.
In 2007, the boys' tennis team won their first state sectional title, defeating Leonia High School 3-2 to win the North I, Group I championship. They have gone down in history for being the first to ever win a State Sectionals Title for both boys and girls.
The Palisades Park boys' cross country teams have won North I Group I state sectional championships in 1976, 1987, 1994-2000 and in 2002, with the team's 10 sectional titles being the second most of any high school in North Jersey I. The team won Group I championships in 1995, 1996 and 2000. The 2000 team was awarded honors from The Star-Ledger as team of the year, with Frank Donohue earning Coach of the Year, with the paper noting the team's seven consecutive sectional titles. They have also have won numerous State Sectional and County Group titles. Donohie was recognized by The Record as its Coach of the Year in 2004. The team held a 70-0 dual meet winning streak through part of the 1990s and into the 2000s.
Palisades Park football, which is a co-op program with Leonia High School, made the state championship game in 2012 for North Jersey II Group III for the first time since 1991. Under the leadership of Head Coach David Schuman it was the first time a co-op program made the sectional finals in state history, with the team falling to Summit High School by a 30-0 final score. The team finished 9-3 which was the second most wins in school history. Coach Schuman was awarded NJIC coach of the year and the team finished ranked #12 in North Jersey by The Record.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Frank Donohue, Principal
- Patrick Bott, Vice Principal
- School data for Palisades Park Jr-Sr High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Palisades Park Jr-Sr High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016 23, 2014.
- League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed November 23, 2014.
- NJSIAA 2016 - 2018 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 11, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 11, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 11, 2017.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- Hickman, Jason. "National Basketball writer/editor". MaxPreps.
- Doviak, Cory K. "Pal Park runs away from Cresskill in key league matchup", NorthJerseySports.com, February 8, 2006. Accessed July 25, 2012.
- "Palisades Park wins sectional", The Record (Bergen County), May 22, 2007. "James Hwang, Richard Park and Alejandro Marulanda all won their singles matches as second-seeded Palisades Park defeated fifth-seeded Leonia, 3-2, to win the North 1, Group 1 tennis title at Dwight-Englewood. It was the first sectional title for the Tigers' boys' tennis program."
- NORTH JERSEY 1 SECTIONAL CROSS-COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 11, 2017.
- Cross Country Group Championship Program-Website_0.pdf 2016 NJSIAA Group Cross Country Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 19, 2017.
- "Vengeance is sweet for Dailey.", The Star-Ledger, December 6, 2000.
- Schwartz, Paul. "Tigers' source of inspiration -- Coach of the Year: Frank Donohue, Palisades Park", The Record (Bergen County), December 9, 2004. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Moore, Roger. "H.S. football: North 2, Group 3 battle between Palisades Park/Leonia and Summit", The Record (Bergen County), December 7, 2012. Accessed December 26, 2016. "The Tigers are a true Cinderella story as they are the first co-op school in New Jersey to play for a sectional title."
- Doviak, Cory K. "Pal Park/Leonia's improbable run ends in section final", NorthJerseySports.com, December 9, 2012. Accessed December 26, 2016.
- Staff, Palisades Park High School. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Palisades Park High School
- Palisades Park Public School District
- Palisades Park Public School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Palisades Park Public School District, National Center for Education Statistics