Eastern Christian High School
|Eastern Christian High School|
|50 Oakwood Avenue
North Haledon, NJ 07508
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||330 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.3:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
|Tuition||$7,138 – $14,275|
Eastern Christian High School (ECHS) is a private Christian high school located in North Haledon, in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. The high school is a part of the Eastern Christian School Association which also has a middle school (ECMS) in Wyckoff, and an elementary school (ECES) and preschool in Midland Park. ECHS accepts students from anywhere in New Jersey.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 330 students and 39.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.3:1. The school's student body was 58.8% White, 23.0% Asian, 8.5% Black, 7.0% Hispanic, 0.3% Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander and 2.4% two or more races.
Eastern Christian follows a program called "Faith in Action" in which every student in the high school is required to complete a certain amount of volunteer hours in order to get their high school diploma. In 2015, Eastern Christian School was recognized as a National School of Character and was rated as one of "The 50 Best Christian Schools in America."
The Eastern Christian Eagles compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), made up of private and public high schools located in Bergen County, Hudson County and Passaic County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Prior to the NJSIAA's realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Eastern Christian was a member of the smaller Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League (BPSL).
In 2007, the girls soccer team, seeded #2, won the North B state sectional championship with a 3-0 win over top-seeded Gill St. Bernard's School in the tournament final, the team's first title in this section. The team moved on to win the Group B state championship with a 2-1 win over Bishop Eustace High School.
Eastern Christian won the first North Non-Public B state sectional track and field title, edging second-place team Villa Walsh Academy by a margin of 126-123. Cross country runner Kristen Traub won the Non-Public B individual title in 2009.
- Jonas Brothers, Kevin (born 1987) and Joe (born 1989) attended the school.
- Peter Kreeft (born 1937), philosopher at Boston College and The King's College and author of numerous popular books of Christian philosophy, theology, and apologetics.
- Bethany Joy Lenz (1981), singer, actress.
- Alexander Noyes (born 1986), drummer for the band Honor Society.
- Katie Sagona (born 1989), actress.
- Antonique Smith, actress/singer best known for her starring role as Mimi in Jonathan Larson's Broadway production of Rent and starred as Faith Evans in the film Notorious.
- School data for Eastern Christian High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 20, 2017.
- Eastern Christian High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 29, 2017.
- Tuition and Fees, Eastern Christian School. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- Who We Are Archived 2008-01-23 at the Wayback Machine., Eastern Christian School Association. Accessed September 22, 2007.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 19, 2017.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- 2007 Girls Soccer - North B, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- "Ramapo buzzing over latest crown", The Record (Bergen County), November 9, 2007. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- 2007 Girls Soccer - Non-Public Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 24, 2007.
- Celentano, Rob. "Eagles fly high -- Spoelstra's two goals give EC title", The Record (Bergen County), November 16, 2007. Accessed December 15, 2014. "The Eagles defeated Bishop Eustace, 2-1, in overtime to win their first State Non-Public B title at The College of New Jersey."
- Kensik, Edward. "Eastern Christian girls win sectionals", The Gazette, May 27, 2010. Accessed July 11, 2011. "Eastern Christian head track and field coach Joel Apol was not optimistic about his girls chances of winning the first Non-Public North B state sectional meet last weekend.... But his team came through in the second day and the Eagles nipped Villa Walsh, 126 to 123."
- 2016 NJSIAA Group Cross Country Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 19, 2017.
- Chadwick, John. "Wyckoff natives return to stomping grounds for concert" Archived 2008-01-02 at the Wayback Machine., The Record (Bergen County), March 9, 2007. Accessed September 22, 2007. "The brothers -- Kevin, 19, and Joseph, 17, -- are Wyckoff natives who attended Eastern Christian -- a pre-K-12 private school with three North Jersey campuses."
- Hauled Aboard the Ark, PeterKreeft.com. Accessed December 2, 2008.
- Orr, Tamara. The Jonas Brothers, p. 17. The Rosen Publishing Group, 2011. ISBN 1-4358-3572-7. Accessed July 11, 2011. "Eastern Christian High School is a small private school in North Haledon, New Jersey.... Famous graduates include actresses Katie Sagona and Antonique Smith, and Alex Noyes, the drummer for the band Honor Society."