New Milford High School (New Jersey)
|New Milford High School|
|One Snyder Circle
New Milford, NJ 07646
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||New Milford School District|
|Vice principal||Jerry Perrone|
|Faculty||51.3 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||652 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.71:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
New Milford High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from New Milford in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the New Milford School District. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1964.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 652 students and 51.3 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.71:1. There were 65 students (10.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 19 (2.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.f>
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 131st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 169th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 161st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 99th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 86th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school 132nd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 55 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (83.3%) and language arts literacy (95.9%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The New Milford High School Knights compete in Patriot Division A of the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), made up of private and public high schools located in Bergen County, Passaic County and Hudson County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 481 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 481 to 749 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, New Milford was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL) in the Olympic Division. The Knights have won multiple league championships in bowling, football, basketball, and wrestling, as well as soccer.
In 2004, the team won their first ever Group I state championship in baseball. The team won the North I, Group I sectional championship with a 16–1 win over Hasbrouck Heights High School, and then won the State Championship with a 3–0 win over Henry P. Becton Regional High School in the semifinals and a 2-0 win in the finals vs. New Providence High School. Pitcher PJ Saporito was named 1st team all-league, all-county and all-state while compiling a 12–0 record and 0.53 ERA. He was also selected as the North Jersey Player of the Year. The team repeated as league and as North I, Group I sectional champions in 2005 with a 6–5 win over Glen Rock High School.
The varsity bowling team compiled four straight State Sectional titles from 2006-2009.
On June 23, 2007, 55 music students were selected to participate in the second episode of the reality show Schooled, after which they were surprised with a private concert by The All-American Rejects and given backpacks filled with OfficeMax merchandise. The chain also granted New Milford High School a $60,000 gift card. The one-hour show aired on August 5, 2007 on The CW Television Network.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Lou Manuppelli, Principal
- Jerry Perrone, Vice Principal
- Adam Leitman Bailey (Class of 1988), attorney recognized with the New Milford Distinguished Alumni Award in 2008.
- Ed Marinaro (born 1950), former college and NFL football player and actor in the television series Hill Street Blues.
- Rob McClure (Class of 2000), Theatre World Award-winning and Tony Award-nominated theatrical actor.
- Joe Regalbuto (born 1949), actor.
- Bobby Steele (born 1956), guitar player for the horror punk band, The Misfits.
- School Data for New Milford High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- New Milford High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools, backed up by the Internet Archive as of April 14, 2012. Accessed March 28, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 29, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed April 8, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 9, 2013.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- League Memberships - 2009-1010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed September 28, 2014.
- "By the Numbers", The Star-Ledger, June 8, 2004. "1 - Number of state titles that New Milford has won after yesterday's 2–0 victory over New Providence in the Group 1 final."
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 21, 2015.
- 2004 Baseball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 3, 2007.
- 2004 Baseball - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 3, 2007.
- Ironmen Clearly the Best, The Record (Bergen County). Accessed June 16, 2007.
- 2005 Baseball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- "North Jersey 1A Sectional Finals - Boys", New Jersey Bowling, February 15, 2009. Accessed August 23, 2011.
- Graser, Marc. "OfficeMax shops 'Schooled' to CW: Reality style special to air August 5", Variety (magazine), July 25, 2007. Accessed August 10, 2007.
- "It's Back-to-School Time as truTV Takes Viewers Inside One of the Most Frightening Places on Earth: THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE.", The Free Library, August 12, 2008. Accessed October 21, 2013. "Eric Sheninger, a dynamic, funny and compassionate principal from New Milford High School in New Jersey, is faced with a star athlete who, during a bus ride, moons a passing car. The student's mother is called to the office for a discussion of the teen's future -- on the team and in school."
- Contact Information, New Milford High School. Accessed September 21, 2015.
- Distinguished Alumni: Adam Leitman Bailey, New Milford High School. Accessed July 16, 2011. "Mr. Bailey graduated from New Milford High School in 1988. While attending New Milford High School, he was a member and captain of the Cross Country and Track and Field teams and achieved First Team All-League honors as well as Honorable Mention All-County Honors during his junior and senior years."
- Rohan, Virginia. "North Jersey-bred and talented too", The Record (Bergen County), June 18, 2007. Accessed June 25, 2007. "Ed Marinaro: Class of 1968, New Milford High School"
- Piccirillo, Ann. "New Milford's Rob McClure is Bringing Chaplin to Broadway; And he credits New Milford High School's Theater Program", NewMilfordPatch, October 13, 2011. Accessed October 21, 2013. "McClure credits New Milford High School and its strong commitment to the arts for leading him where he is today, which is why he feels passionately that the arts should not be cut from school programs."
- The Ultimate New Jersey High School Year Book. Missing or empty
- New Milford High School
- New Milford School District
- New Milford School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the New Milford School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- New Milford High School Athletics
- New Milford High School football