Parnell Railway Station
|Auckland Transport Urban rail|
Parnell Railway Station from the citybound platform. The heritage Newmarket station building is on the southbound platform and is undergoing refurbishment.
|Location||Cheshire Street, Parnell, Auckland|
|Owned by||Auckland Transport, KiwiRail|
|Opened||12 March 2017|
Parnell Railway Station is a station serving the inner-city suburb of Parnell in Auckland, New Zealand. It is situated on the Newmarket Line, approximately 600m north of Parnell Tunnel, and is located in the Waipapa Valley adjacent to Auckland Domain. It serves Southern Line trains, and, in evenings and weekends only, Western Line trains. Onehunga Line trains currently pass through the station without stopping.
The station opened on 12 March 2017 with relatively basic facilities and initially serving a limited number of lines. Future development will involve building a pedestrian bridge across the tracks to provide step-free access to the platforms, and constructing several new paths to provide more direct access to Auckland Domain, Parnell Town Centre and the University of Auckland.
The station will eventually serve all three lines which pass through it once the Sarawia Street level crossing in Newmarket is removed, which will remove the signalling constraints which currently affect the line. A bridge will be built to replace the level crossing, linking Laxon Terrace with nearby Cowie Street.
After a plan to lease part of the area as a bus depot was cancelled, KiwiRail and Auckland Council were asked in 2010 by the outgoing Auckland Regional Council to make an early start on construction of the proposed station, which was to cost $13 million or more, to ensure that there would not need to be costly extra work after the electrification of the line as part of the Auckland railway electrification. It was proposed that several million dollars saved during the upgrade of the Newmarket station be allocated to this new station.
An early proposal was to integrate the new station with some of the historic railway workshop sheds of the adjacent Mainline Steam depot but nothing eventuated. The Mainline Steam Heritage Trust had its lease on the depot terminated by KiwiRail and completed its move from the site in June 2015. The sheds were demolished in September 2015.
The heritage station building from the Newmarket station (a historic building designed by George Troup and built in 1908 that was removed during a 2008–10 upgrade) is a feature of the station. Relocation of the building was planned for December 2016 and external refurbishment works are expected to be finished by April 2017.
In late 2015, Auckland Transport advised that opening the Parnell station to passenger services was being postponed until the completion of a road bridge at Cowie Street, replacing the nearby level crossing on Sarawia Street. AT received approval from independent planning commissioners in June 2016. The following November, the commissioners' recommendation for the bridge was appealed. If AT is unable to address the concerns expressed in the appeal, an Environment Court hearing (most likely in early 2017) will decide whether the appeal should be upheld.
- "Auckland Electrifcation Map" (PDF). KiwiRail. 2014-05-18. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "An extra million on the trains in just three months" (Press release). Auckland Transport. 6 April 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "New train timetables from Sunday 12 March". 24 February 2017. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Auckland Transport – Parnell Station". Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Auckland Transport – Preparation work underway for Parnell Station". 22 April 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Auckland Transport – Newmarket level crossing". Retrieved 23 Nov 2016.
- Dearnaley, Mathew (2 November 2010). "KiwiRail abandons bus park idea". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "ARC presses for Parnell train station". The New Zealand Herald. 30 September 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Nicholas Stevens: First the dream, then the bombshell". The New Zealand Herald. 23 October 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Mainline Steam Heritage Trust, New Zealand – News". Retrieved 23 Nov 2016.
- "Onehunga unlikely home for old station". Stuff.co.nz. 13 March 2008. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Auckland Transport – Parnell Station". Retrieved 23 Nov 2016.
- "A long time coming – the story of the Parnell Station". Retrieved 23 Nov 2016.
- "Auckland Transport – Newmarket level crossing project updates". Retrieved 23 Nov 2016.
- "Low passenger numbers force Westfield Station's closure". Manukau Courier. 17 January 2017. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Fitzgerald, Mary (14 March 2017). "Businesses and residents delighted with Parnell train station opening". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- "Parnell train station opens". Radio New Zealand. 13 March 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- Orsman, Bernard (10 March 2017). "Parnell rail station opens with heritage building sporting original colours". The Auckland. NZME. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- "A new transport link for Parnell" (Press release). Auckland Transport. 13 March 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2017.