Peter H. Gilmore
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Peter H. Gilmore|
|File:Peter H GilmDavid Shankbone.jpg
Gilmore in October 2007
|Born||May 24, 1958|
|Occupation||Author, composer, religious leader|
|Title||High Priest; Magus|
Peter Howard Gilmore (born May 24, 1958) is an American composer, artist, and author. He is the administrator of the Church of Satan and author of The Satanic Scriptures. Gilmore graduated from NYU with both a bachelor's and master's degree in music composition.
He was appointed High Priest of the Church in 2001 by Magistra Blanche Barton. As a representative of the Church of Satan, Gilmore has been interviewed on numerous television and radio programs dealing with the topic of Satanism, including appearances on History, the BBC, Syfy, Point of Inquiry, and Bob Larson's Christian radio show.
|Wikinews has related news: Satanism: An interview with Church of Satan High Priest Peter Gilmore|
Gilmore was raised in upstate New York. He visited New York City regularly throughout his youth and moved to Hell's Kitchen in 1980. He read The Satanic Bible at age thirteen and has described The Church of Satan as "the motivating philosophical force in my life" ever since.
In 1989, he and his wife Peggy Nadramia began publishing a Satanic journal, The Black Flame, and continues to publish issues sporadically. In 2005, Gilmore wrote the new introduction to Anton LaVey's The Satanic Bible, and his essay on Satanism was published in The Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature.
- Several of Gilmore's essays on Satanism and culture can be found at the Church of Satan's official web site.
- Satanism: The Feared Religion
- Pretenders to the Throne
- A Map for the Misdirected
- The Myth of the “Satanic Community” and other Virtual Delusions
- “State of the Church”—October XXXVI A.S.
- Necronomicon: Some Facts About A Fiction
- Founding Family: “Morality” versus Same-Sex Marriage
- “A Clockwork Messiah”, a review of Mel Gibson's The Passion of The Christ
- Rebels Without Cause
- Peter H. Gilmore at the Internet Movie Database
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature
- The Satanic Scriptures
- Myspace page for The Satanic Scriptures
Interviews with Peter H. Gilmore
- Embracing the Darkness; Understanding Dark Subcultures by Corvis Nocturnum (Dark Moon Press 2005; ISBN 978-0-9766984-0-1) Features interviews with current Church of Satan High Priest Magus Peter H. Gilmore, and Magister Paradise of Not Like Most, a Satanic magazine.
- Satanism: An interview with Church of Satan High Priest Peter Gilmore (5 November 2007), at Wikinews
- Endemoniada Zine
- Alas, Babylon, article on the gentrification of New York City by Jim Knipfel in New York Press
- Halloween special (4:46-8:14) (29 October 2010), video interview with George Stroumboulopoulos on George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight (CBC Television)
- Science and Satanism (10 August 2007), audio interview on Point of Inquiry
Anton LaVey, then vacancy
|High Priest of the Church of Satan