|Developer(s)||Alistair Crooks, Hubert Feyrer and Johnny C. Lam|
|Stable release||2015Q4 / January 1, 2016|
|Written in||C, sh|
pkgsrc (package source) is a package management system for Unix-like operating systems. It was forked from the FreeBSD ports collection in 1997 as the primary package management system for NetBSD. Since then it has evolved independently: in 1999, support for Solaris was added, later followed by support for other operating systems. DragonFly BSD, from release 1.4 to 3.4, used pkgsrc as its official packaging system. MINIX 3 and the Dracolinux distribution both include pkgsrc in their main releases.
There are multiple ways to install programs using pkgsrc. The pkgsrc bootstrap contains a traditional ports collection that utilizes a series of makefiles to compile software from source. Another method is to install pre-built binary packages via the pkg_add and pkg_delete tools. A high-level utility named pkgin also exists, and is designed to automate the installation, removal, and update of binary packages in a manner similar to APT or yum.
pkgsrc currently contains over 17000 packages (over 20000 including work-in-progress packages maintained outside the official tree) and includes most popular open source software. It now supports around 23 operating systems, including AIX, various BSD derivatives, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and QNX.
Platforms supported by pkgsrc
|Platform||Date Support Added|
|Darwin and Mac OS X||October 2001|
|Interix (for Windows NT)||March 2004|
|MINIX 3||August 2010|
- "10 years of pkgsrc - pkgsrc and the concepts of package management 1997-2007 (part 1)". www.netbsd.org. The NetBSD Foundation. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- Dillon, Matthew. "PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release". DragonFly users mailing list.
- "This release features kernel 3.0.57, Glibc 2.11.3, GCC 4.4.7, OSS 4.2 and pkgsrc 2012Q3.". DracoLinux.
- "pkgin, a binary package manager for pkgsrc".
- "Announcing the pkgsrc-2015Q3 Branch".
- Official website
- A web interface for pkgsrc
- pkgsrc-wip – a project to get more people actively involved with pkgsrc
- pkgsrcCon: An annual conference focusing on pkgsrc