Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia
|Prince Franz Wilhelm|
|Prince of Prussia|
|Born||3 September 1943|
Maria Vladimirovna, Grand Duchess of Russia
(m. 1976; div. 1985)
|Issue||Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia|
|Father||Prince Karl Franz of Prussia|
|Mother||Princess Henriette of Schönaich-Carolath|
Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia (Franz Wilhelm Victor Christoph Stephan; born 3 September 1943) is a German businessman and member of the House of Hohenzollern, the former ruling German imperial house and royal house of Prussia. From 1976 to 1986 he was known as Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich of Russia. As a descendant of Wilhelm II, he is also a great-great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria and a fourth cousin of Charles, Prince of Wales.
|Prussian Royal Family|
HRH Princess Cornelie-Cecile
Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia was born in Grünberg, Silesia, as the son of Prince Karl Franz of Prussia (1916–1975) and his first wife Princess Henriette von Schönaich-Carolath (1918–1972). He had a twin brother, Prince Friedrich Christian, who died three weeks after his birth. Prince Franz Wilhelm is a grandson of Prince Joachim of Prussia, the youngest son of Emperor William II.
In 2002 Prince Franz Wilhelm with Theodor Tantzen founded the Prinz von Preussen development company, which restores old buildings in Germany. In 2004, with financing from a group of investors, he purchased the Royal Porcelain Manufacture Berlin, saving it from insolvency.
Prince Franz Wilhelm married his third cousin once-removed, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia (a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria), in a civil marriage at Dinard on 4 September 1976 and religiously on 22 September 1976 in Madrid. Before his marriage he converted to the Russian Orthodox faith and was created a Grand Duke of Russia with the name Mikhail Pavlovich by his father-in-law Grand Duke Vladimir of Russia. Prince Franz Wilhelm and Grand Duchess Maria had one son before divorcing in 1985, at which point he reverted to his previous title.
Titles, styles and honours
- 3 September 1943 - 22 September 1976: His Royal Highness Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia'
- 22 September 1976 - 19 June 1985: His Imperial and Royal Highness Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich of Russia, Prince of Prussia
- 19 June 1985 - Present: His Royal Highness Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia
- Dynastic Honours
- German/Prussian Imperial and Royal family: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Black Eagle
- Knight Grand Cross of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George(KGCJCO)
- Russian imperial family: Honorary Knight Collar of the Order of St. Andrew (Revoked in 1985)
- In 1919 royalty and nobility were mandated to lose their privileges in Germany; thereafter hereditary titles were to be legally borne only as part of the surname, according to Article 109 of the Weimar Constitution. Styles such as majesty and highness were not retained.
- Eilers, Marlene. Queen Victoria's Descendants. Rosvall Royal Books, Falkoping, Sweden, 1997. pp. 84, 121, 127, 172-173. ISBN 91-630-5964-9
- Almanach de Gotha, Gotha: Justus Perthes, 1944), pp. 89, 92.
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser Band XIV. "Haus Preussen". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1997, p. 123, 153. ISBN 3-7980-0700-4
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. Le Petit Gotha. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery, Paris 2002, pp. 77, 99, 111, 799. (French) ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
- Tzortzis, Andreas (31 May 2006). "Homes fit for a prince (or princess)". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 6 June 2007.
- "Prince Saves Traditional Porcelain Maker". DW World. 13 December 2004. Retrieved 23 July 2008.
- Willis, Daniel A., The Descendants of King George I of Great Britain, Clearfield Company, 2002, p. 575, 696.
- "Dynastic Succession". Archived from the original on 9 June 2009.
- Massie, Robert K. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter. Jonathan Cape, 1995, pp. 263-264, 269-270, 274. ISBN 0-224-04192-4, OCLC 185630578.
- Montgomery-Massinberd, Hugh (1972). Burke's Guide to the Royal Family. London: Burke's Peerage, Ltd. pp. 297, 302. ISBN 0-220-66222-3.
- "Irish Monarchy - Page 2".
- "The Romanovs - HIH Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna Великая Княжна Мария Владимировна". Archived from the original on 10 May 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
Prince Franz Wilhelm of PrussiaBorn: 3 September 1943
|Lines of succession|
Baroness Matilda von Twickel
| Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Victoria, Princess Royal, daughter of Queen Victoria
Prince Franz Friedrich of Prussia
|Titles in pretence|
Prince Albert of Prussia
| Line of succession to the German throne
Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia