Prince Lorenz of Belgium
|Archduke of Austria-Este (more)|
Prince Lorenz at the wedding of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden in 2010
|Born||16 December 1955|
Belvedere Clinic , Boulogne-Billancourt, Hauts-de-Seine, France
Princess Astrid of Belgium (m. 1984)
Princess Maria Laura
Princess Luisa Maria
Princess Laetitia Maria
|Father||Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este|
|Mother||Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta|
Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (born 16 December 1955) is a member of the Belgian royal family by his marriage with Princess Astrid of Belgium. Since 1996 he is also head of the House of Austria-Este, a cadet branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
Prince Lorenz was born in Belvedere Clinic, Boulogne-Billancourt, Hauts-de-Seine, France, as the second child of Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este and his wife, Archduchess Margaret (née Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta).
Education and career
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
After finishing school, Archduke Lorenz did his military service in the regiment of Gebirgsjäger ("Alpine Hunters") of the Federal Austrian Army, and he was promoted to Reserve Leutnant (Second Lieutenant) in 1980.
Lorenz studied economics at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland and the University of Innsbruck in Austria. He then worked at various banks in London, Paris, and Rome. In 1983, he joined the Gutzwiller private bank in Basel, where he eventually became a Managing Partner. In 1993, he spent one year as a consultant to SWIFT, a company which provides services to the financial industry. In 1995, he became Advisor to the Board of Directors of BNP Paribas bank in Paris. He was formerly a director of UCB, Sita (a worldwide waste management company located in France) and Ondeo Nalco (a water management company in the United States).
On 22 September 1984 in Brussels, Lorenz married Princess Astrid of Belgium, the only daughter of the then-Prince and Princess of Liège, later King Albert II and Queen Paola. The couple have five children:
- Prince Amedeo (born 21 February 1986)
- Princess Maria Laura (born 26 August 1988)
- Prince Joachim (born 9 December 1991)
- Princess Luisa Maria (born 11 October 1995)
- Princess Laetitia Maria (born 23 April 2003)
Prince Lorenz is a godfather to Prince Carl-Johan of Nassau, youngest child of Prince Jean of Luxembourg and Count Costantino Secco di Aragona, oldest son of his cousin Archduchess Catharina-Maria of Austria.
Since 2004, Lorenz has been the honorary president of the Council of the Koninklijke Vereniging der Historische Woonsteden van België/Association Royale des Demeures Historiques de Belgique. Since 2005, he has been the Patron of Europae Thesauri, an association of European cathedral and church treasuries.
He is named member of the Royal Crown Council of Romania in 2015.
The title "Prince of Belgium" was granted to him by Royal Decree of 10 November 1995 by his father-in-law, King Albert II of Belgium. He is also referred to as Archduke of Austria-Este by the Belgian monarchy.
- House of Habsburg: 1,285th Knight of the Distinguished Order of the Golden Fleece
- Belgium: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Luxembourg: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
- Montenegrin Royal Family: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Danilo I
- Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Romanian Royal Family: Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Crown
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit
- Sweden: Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Polar Star
- Association Royale des Demeures Historiques de Belgique: Conseil d'Administration Archived 15 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Goosse, Georges. "Membres - Europae Thesauri". www.europaethesauri.eu.
- Almanach de Gotha, Société des Amis de l'Almanach de Gotha
- "EXCLUSIV: Personaj CHEIE, dat afară din Casa Regală a României - Flux24.ro". 2 March 2016.
- "Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz". Official website of the Belgian Monarchy. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Presidency of the Republic - Chancellery of Portuguese Honorary Orders". dre.pt.
- "Boletín Oficial del Estado" (PDF).
Prince Lorenz of BelgiumBorn: 16 December 1955
|Titles in pretence|
| Archduke of Austria-Este
1996 – present