Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland
|Duke of Ångermanland|
15 June 2015|
Danderyd Hospital, Danderyd, Sweden
|Mother||Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland|
HRH Princess Birgitta
Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland (Nicolas Paul Gustaf Bernadotte; born 15 June 2015) is the second child and only son of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill. He is ninth in the line of succession to the Swedish throne. At the time of his birth, he was sixth in line.
Prince Nicolas was born on 15 June 2015 at Danderyd Hospital in Danderyd, Sweden. The birth was greeted by a 21-gun salute from Skeppsholmen in Stockholm and from the saluting stations in Gothenburg, Härnösand, Karlskrona and Boden. On 17 June, his names and title were announced at a state council by his grandfather, King Carl XVI Gustaf.
Nicolas was baptised into the Lutheran faith by Antje Jackelén, the Archbishop of Uppsala, on 11 October 2015 in the Royal Chapel of Drottningholm Palace. SVT announced that it would broadcast the ceremony live, despite earlier reports that it would not due to complaints from the public. His godparents were his maternal uncle, Prince Carl Philip; his paternal aunt, Natascha Abensberg und Traun; his paternal uncle, Henry d'Abo; his mother's paternal cousin, Gustaf Magnuson; and friends of his parents, Katarina von Horn and Marco Wajselfisz.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
Nicolas is styled as: His Royal Highness Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland.
Swedish appointments and honours
- Sweden : Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (since his birth on 15 June 2015, presented 11 October 2015).
- Sweden : Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (since birth, 15 June 2015)
Prince Nicolas's coat of arms is based on the greater coat of arms of Sweden. It features in the first and fourth quarters, the Three Crowns; in the second, the lion of the House of Bjelbo; and in the third, the three salmons of the arms of Ångermanland, representing the titular designation of his dukedom. In the centre, on an inescutcheon, is the dynastic arms of the House of Bernadotte. Surrounding the shield is the chain of the Order of the Seraphim, of which he had been presented with since his baptism.
- "Birth Certificate". Archived from the original on 10 March 2016.
- "Princess Madeleine Will Give Birth in Sweden". SalonPriveMag.com. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- "Announcement from the Marshal of the Realm". Kungahuset.se. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Svd (2015-06-15). "Madeleines nyfödde prins sägs ha pappas haka". Svenska Dagbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- "12.00: Salut skjuts för ny prins" [12:00: Salut for the new prince] (in Swedish). Sveriges Radio. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Konselj onsdagen den 17 juni 2015" (Press release) (in Swedish). Kungahuset.se. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Te Deum torsdagen den 18 juni 2015" (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 2015-06-18. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Exclusiva: El príncipe Nicolás de Suecia ya tiene fecha para su bautizo" [Exclusive: Prince Nicolas of Sweden now has date for his baptism]. europapress.es (in Spanish). 25 August 2015. Archived from the original on 16 October 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "SVT sänder prins Nicolas dop". svt.se. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Prince Nicolas' christening". Swedish Royal Family official website.
Prince Nicolas, Duke of ÅngermanlandBorn: 15 June 2015
| Succession to the Swedish throne
9th in line